Attessa IV

The reason explained to me why they come down is that some of the things that they are covering aren't covered by BC Medical until you are 65 or their is a lower cost - one example is eye exams - under 65 most people have to pay - over 65 it is either free or lower priced so the it costs them less.

Doubt you will get your golf game in on Monday - the rains are expected to continue - well at least those salmon that have been waiting to head up some of the smaller streams might now be able to begin the journey home to spawn and die.

Cheers

Dennis

Interesting about your insurance...don't argue with them what ever you do. Ours is with a group plan of DW's that we carried on with when she retired and we didn't see any reduction when we turned 65. However, that may likely be the result of the group.

I went to the Chapman Creek fish hatchery on Wednesday to renew my membership and after seeing the Global BC report on what was happening on the Cowichan River I asked about our salmon. The response was "our are making it upstream but they are walking".:D

not the food, I hope not the food....although the mushroom burger lover in this house says the Monty burger is not bad and all of the DGC swear that the Rice Crispy squares are delicious....so it's buy them the squares or something in the gift shop that starts at $20...the squares keep them busy for the whole trip and if we are returning them, they are on a wonderful sugar high as we turn them over to their mommies and daddies....being a grandparent is so much fun.:D

I had one of the Sandwiches which are just above the supermarket offerings.

Usually hit the buffet but for some reason this summer on our sailings that option was not considered. Must have just been the timing.

Getting into the count down mode for our Hawaii cruise. Doing Palm Springs (for a day) pre-cruise. Can't wait

Edited by LeftcoastBC

My plan is an individual - when I retired I had to move from the group plan to the individual plan. My experience is that you are probably paying less being on a group plan and likely getting more coverage so it may balance out in the long run. I know I don't get as good dental coverage as when I was working.

Cheers

Dennis

Lucky you guys with great cruises in the near future...

Nothing booked for me :(:(

Must wait till Dad sees the Dr's in December.. Hopefully at least a 7 day Caribbean and hopefully on the new Reflection!

Do plan to head south to Florida for January thru March - every year I stretch it out a little longer and this year we plan to try for 3 months in the sun.

Waiting for the 2014 schedules to be released and then will look for something LONG and interesting

Busy with the Halloween Scare Train at Bear Creek Park as usual - it is open for 20 nights this year so have my volunteer work cut out for me... only 2 nights in and I am already tired!

• 2 weeks later...

I see we have had an oops on the Queen of NW this morning.

http://www.bcferries.com/bcferries/faces/attachments?id=744586

The last of the pegs are coming out of the Sechelt tent and we should be out of here tomorrow and after saying goodbye to the famdamily in North Van will be on the road to the AZ tent Thursday morning.

Have a good safe trip south and look forward to your posts while you are sitting out in the blazing desert sun, sipping a tall cool after after a tough day of chasing a little white ball around a bunch of green grass or is is sand traps and water.

Cheers

Dennis

Coincidentally, the Zaandam also headed south this afternoon, the last departure of Victoria's 2012 cruise ship season. It was a record-setting year: 224 ship visits, 503,675 passengers. Too many of these were Jones Act port calls, ships arriving between 5 and 7 pm and leaving at midnight. Unfair to the passengers, says I, and not the best time for business.

Considering the frequent puff about the benefits of the cruise industry to Victoria, it's probably worth saying that Clipper Navigation brings in about half this volume of passengers annually from Seattle. Unlike almost all the cruise industry's visitors, Victoria Clipper passengers are often here for at least one overnight stay, making them a more attractive audience for marketing, I'm told, than the cruise lines.

wow..had no idea their were than many stops even if the so called Jones act involved in most making for a short day.. Last two times we did the call we hardly got off..so we didn't drop much $$ cash but it looked to me like a lot of folks did.

Yet to do the clipper ..I should. know folks that did.

Not to nit-pick (OK, it is nit picking) the act that requires the stop in Victoria is the Passenger Vessel Services Act or the PVSA. The Jones Act deals with carbotage or freight, if you will whereas the PVSA deals with passengers and cruise ships. However, the two acts are often confused. While outdated US protectionist legislation, the PVSA is a really a boon to Canadian and Mexican ports.

Not to nit-pick (OK, it is nit picking) the act that requires the stop in Victoria is the Passenger Vessel Services Act or the PVSA. The Jones Act deals with carbotage or freight, if you will whereas the PVSA deals with passengers and cruise ships. However, the two acts are often confused. While outdated US protectionist legislation, the PVSA is a really a boon to Canadian and Mexican ports.

Not to nit pick (but it is nit picking) I didn't say it was the Jones act. Cause I know all that other stuff. :D

And it's not worth while after all the yrs of trying to inform everyone of the real names, causes, causes and effects any more.

Not to nit pick (but it is nit picking) I didn't say it was the Jones act. Cause I know all that other stuff. :D

And it's not worth while after all the yrs of trying to inform everyone of the real names, causes, causes and effects any more.

You are likely correct and Canada is nothing but ice and snow you know.:D

By the way, have a good cruise, temp here is in the low 90's. Our AC unit is having a hissy fit so I am about to phone the repair people.

looking forward to the warm weather 4 sure. Watch for four giddy northerners crashing the quiet of the Springs on Friday nite/Sat morning.

BUT... It is way better than it used to be when I saw with my own two eyes as a kid. Persons of a certain country heading north across the Windsor border in in July with skis and toboggans.. True story I swear.

• 3 weeks later...

Well disappointing loss by the Lions yesterday - I was at the game in my capacity as a games day giveaway volunteer - task yesterday was to place those thunderstick noise makers in all the lower bowls cup holders and then hand them out to the upper bowl fans are they came up the ramp - what with the walk down to the stadium - the giveaway and watching the game and the walk home i was bushed.

Next up the Rogers Santa Claus parade and the remaining planning for the big cruise.

PD - I have some questions about Princess and the Grand that I will email you about.

Cheers

Dennis

Went to the annual pre-Christmas sale at Butchart's gift shop yesterday. Still a good number of wandering out-of-towners but nothing like the number on our last visit in mid-October. The gardens are mostly decorated for Christmas, with the annual 12-days displays going up and lights and baubles all over.

Blossoms in the gardens were in very short supply but we were interested to see that the roses have all been pruned and protected with a large shovel of mulch heaped over and through their centres. I never know whether to prune roses in the spring or fall here and have tried both, so I guess fall is the definitive answer.

Edited by porsena

Blossoms in the gardens were in very short supply but we were interested to see that the roses have all been pruned and protected with a large shovel of mulch heaped over and through their centres. I never know whether to prune roses in the spring or fall here and have tried both, so I guess fall is the definitive answer.

I rather rely on the Sechelt deer population to prune my roses....what is left is ours and it's not much.:mad:

Back and knowledgeable about all things Hawaiian on X. Did PS for a few hours overnight. Impressed with MM and her flying dress right down town. Was there on rainbow weekend. The ladies were impressed with her too.:eek:

Century in great shape overall with some housekeeping because of time on the sea being needed. Hope they keep her. Stretches of 4 1/2 and 6 days at sea a bit much for even this sea day lover. Go prepared on this 15 night haul.

Lava flow at night just barely visible. But overall trip a great experience.

Oh yah watched the Grey Cup. How did the Lions ever lose to the Stamps.?? Braley want his other team to win it ? oh I can't believe I said that.

Edited by LeftcoastBC

Welcome back LC.

We have done the Hawaiian junket out of San Pedro back when it was 15 days with 5 stops in the islands and I confess that I found the 5 sea days in either direction just a bit much as well. I started to think "these are pretty expensive naps I am having".;)

I have been following the plight of Century on the Celebrity fourm...there is certainly much conjecture as to what is to happen to her. I am guessing that X has to make a decision as to whether they are in the small ship biz or not. We looked very hard at doing the Panama on her in January '14 and just weren't comfortable about her condition so have put off that trip until likely Jan '15.

Story in today's Victoria paper about a new activity for tourists in 2013, an amphibious bus tour in town and at sea. The marine portion of the tours will use the James Bay boat ramp, which is close to Ogden Point. This is another activity to keep in mind for cruise passengers looking for something to do in Victoria.

According to Chemistry Consulting, buses would set out from Belleville Street for a 40-minute land tour and enter the water at the James Bay ramp for another 40-minute return trip through the harbour to the waters in front of the Empress. Since I know of no way out of the water in front of the Empress, it's not clear to me how the buses will get back to Belleville. The operator, Geoffrey Lind, appears not to have a website yet.

These buses used to run in Toronto but lost their provincially-managed ramp access to Lake Ontario this year.

Edited by porsena