Displaying Mariner Tiles

bebob

Does anyone know of a place that would sell a frame for the Mariner Tiles so that they can be displayed? I have about 6 that I would like to put into a single tile frame but have searched the internet and cannot find anything yet that would work for this project. I'm hoping someone would have a good idea for me to display these special memories. Thanks so much.

Suggest you use a large Paper Tolle Frame that is a deep frame and covered in glass. Paper Tolle is also known as Decoupage in Canada. Any hobby shop should be able to help you with a background to mount the tiles on and a suitable glue. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.:D

In your travels through the stores, keep your eyes open for a nice wooden tray that might fit your tiles. You will have to have your measurements handy. You can just hang the tray on the wall like a picture frame.

I'm sure you will be able to choose the colour of the wood and also try and find one with fairly low sides.

Good luck in your search.

You might also make a table top for a small side table...nice on the patio or deck. Look at thrift shops, resale shops for a table base that might work.

Glue down the tiles, then grout.

For a frame or tray, you could go to a hardware store and have them cut 4 Pcs of molding and a background of Masonite to fit the size you want.

I was able to find blue frames that match the tiles. It was a while back, but I think I got them at Michael's. The large frames nicely hold two each. I have smaller ones that each hold one tile. I put patterned construction paper over the glass and cut out a small hole where I wanted the tile to go. Then I glued the tile to the glass. They look really nice and remind me of the wonderful trips I had on HAL.

They also make good coasters. I always thought they'd be a neat backsplash, but I doubt I'd ever accumulate enough to do entire wall. Maybe, above the shower?

I use mine for coasters as well. When I have needed custom framing I have gone to Aaron Brothers and have been very pleased with their work. They often have sales in the Sunday paper on their custom framing and have a bigger selection than Michael's.

On one of our cruises we met a couple from South America who had gone on many HAL cruises and received many tiles over the years. They had a coffee table, two end tables and a couple of different size serving trays made with their collection. I guess you could say they were very avid HAL fans.

Then on another cruise we met a woman who made a skirt, vest and cute hat made from the canvas bags that HAL gave out. These bags were the nicer "older" pattern with the shells, ship logo, etc.

People sure are creative!!!

I use mine for coasters as well. When I have needed custom framing I have gone to Aaron Brothers and have been very pleased with their work. They often have sales in the Sunday paper on their custom framing and have a bigger selection than Michael's.

Aaron Brothers has produced excellent custom framing services for my late mother's artwork. I highly recommend them.

Some fun ideas here! I also saw a woman who had made a vest from the canvas totes..so clever!

The Dutch airline KLM gives passengers in first class, perhaps also business class, the small Delft bottles with Dutch liqueur, shaped like Dutch canal houses. My cousin found a big supply for 50 cents each (!) at a yard sale and used them as wonderful decorations for her blue and white kitchen. They sell for ten dollars on up on eBay.

The HAL tiles would go great, but she'll have to get her own. "Someday" I will make a tile table for the back porch.

They also make good coasters. I always thought they'd be a neat backsplash, but I doubt I'd ever accumulate enough to do entire wall. Maybe, above the shower?

We remodeled our kitchen this summer. When we told our contractor that we would like to use the tiles as part of the backsplash, he found a beautiful blue granite to use on the new countertops to compliment the tiles. We didn't want to overpower the kitchen [or diminish the eventual resale value too much], so there are only 6 or 7 tiles scattered amongst the rest of the otherwise white subway tiles. It's really cool!

Archived