Just a plug for Gel Nail polish

islandgirlejfan

Seraphine - I see you are in Scotland - I'm in the north-east. I wish I knew where to find you as I think you could rescue my nails as you've given such good advice!

I had gellish nails before my cruise last November and what a mess the tech made - a couple of them started "lifting" at the edges after 5/6 days and as we were just on board the first thing I did was get the nail technician to remove them. She gave me a fabulous "rescue manicure" and my nails were great, she put on my own nail polish - OPI (and dried my nails under a UV lamp which I've never had before with regular nail polish) and the manicure lasted for over 2 weeks and my nails grew! But, since I took the nail polish off when we got home, my nails have been so brittle and split when they get any length at all, so they all looked like I've been chewing them! LOL!. I've filed them as soon as they look like they're going to split and, moisturise, moisturise (with oil on the cuticles) and finally they seem to be getting back to something like normal. I only had the gellish nails on twice - so about a period of maybe 5-6 weeks in all before the cruise, once to try them out and they seemed to be OK and then the disastrous application. I seem to remember the tech did "buff" my nails before she applied the gellish, so maybe on reading your posts, she shouldn't have done?

Never again as my nails take so long to get back to normal afterwards. I think I must have thin nails although they do grow great when I really pay attention to them! Not that I want them very long but neat and tidy would be nice! :)

Fairbourne, if you've ever up my way, please feel free to give me a call and I'll see what I can do :) Google my company, High Five Nails in Scotland. I live near Stirling.

Gelish requires a very slight buffing of the nail (most UV gel polishes do, except for Shellac), but some techs are very heavy handed and file off too much nail. It sounds like this may have happened. Also, how did they get the Gelish off you?

You can put regular nail polish under a UV lamp, but it's not required - it's just that it's slightly warmer under the lamp and it speeds up the drying process. Putting your hands under a warm lightbulb (non UV) works the same.

You are right to be using lots of cuticle oil (keep this up, even if you don't have gel polish on. It won't hurt regular polish... just slather it on 2-3 times a day).

Keep up with the oil, and feel free to ask anything else if you are stuck. Even though I'm a Shellac tech, I do have a lot of respect for the Gelish line and know lots of techs who are thrilled with it. But with all things, a good tech is the first step to a great application.

Good luck!!

You are right to be using lots of cuticle oil (keep this up, even if you don't have gel polish on. It won't hurt regular polish... just slather it on 2-3 times a day).

Keep up with the oil, and feel free to ask anything else if you are stuck. Even though I'm a Shellac tech, I do have a lot of respect for the Gelish line and know lots of techs who are thrilled with it. But with all things, a good tech is the first step to a great application.

Good luck!!

I have seen the mention of using cuticle oil, several times, on this post. So, I bought some. Now, I see you say to use it 2-3 times a day. I was wondering if regular olive oil could be used. I have allergies to anything with fragrace - even natural fragrance derived from plants. I do use products with fragrance, but I know what my limits are and I know, for the most part, as long as it doesn't come in contact with my face, I'm OK. So, I have a hard time finding time once a day - let alone 2-3 times- to put the oil on and sit and not touch anything long enough before I can go wash my hands and the oil off so that I can touch things. Even if I touch objects around the house, with the oil on, and then touch that object another time, the residue would still be there and cause an Eczema outbreak. So, I was just wondering if there was something real basic, like olive oil, that could be used in the place of the cuticle oil. I do have a hand cream, that is safe to use, and I do always rub it into my cuticles when applying it to my hands. I don't know if this helps or not.

I have seen the mention of using cuticle oil, several times, on this post. So, I bought some. Now, I see you say to use it 2-3 times a day. I was wondering if regular olive oil could be used. I have allergies to anything with fragrace - even natural fragrance derived from plants. I do use products with fragrance, but I know what my limits are and I know, for the most part, as long as it doesn't come in contact with my face, I'm OK. So, I have a hard time finding time once a day - let alone 2-3 times- to put the oil on and sit and not touch anything long enough before I can go wash my hands and the oil off so that I can touch things. Even if I touch objects around the house, with the oil on, and then touch that object another time, the residue would still be there and cause an Eczema outbreak. So, I was just wondering if there was something real basic, like olive oil, that could be used in the place of the cuticle oil. I do have a hand cream, that is safe to use, and I do always rub it into my cuticles when applying it to my hands. I don't know if this helps or not.

I'm sorry you have so much trouble with this - I would hate to cause you any sort of Eczema outbreaks.

Yes, after doing a bit of research, Olive Oil will work for a cuticle treatment. Another natural alternative is Almond Oil. Many mineral oil based products won't absorb... they just sit on the surface - that's why baby oil won't work for this application. Typically hand creams don't absorb the way cuticle oil does. But if you're afraid of a sensitivity issue, please don't use the cuticle oil you bought.

Would you be able to apply olive oil at night and wear light gloves so it stays off your face? (I realise that might open up a host of other problems, but I have several clients with skin issues that do this). Even one application a day could help, if you can't manage it 2-3 times (the multiple applications are suggested for people with particularly dry cuticles or for those who are frequently handwashing and wash the oil off)

Best of luck :) I hope you skin remains calm and you find a good solution for your nails.

Another nail tech here. My experience has been that all gell polish is not created equal. I tried Gellish first. It stayed on really well but was way to hard to get off. I switched to Shellac and no problems. As Seraphine has said cuticle oil is essential to healthy and happy nails. Other oils may be used but hydration is very important. Enjoy your nails!

I bought one of those deals (either Groupon, UrbanLiving, or Social-something) for $15 for a Shellac mani and I'm really looking forward to getting it done before our springbreak cruise! My nails grow just fine and are very strong, but because of everything I do with my hands, I couldn't keep polish on them so I stopped trying. If this works they way everyone says it does, I may invest in one of the do it yourself kits.

I guess I'm going to have to see what brand my tech uses...I've had three french manicures using the gels. The 1st one was pretty good but lasted only about a week.

I got the 2nd one at a different salon and she did such a bad job that they were cracking the very next day. These actually had to be filed off...I was not pleased as my nails were strong.

This last time, my regular tech did it and while they looked nice, one nail broke before 24 hours were up and three more chipped before the week was out.

So from what I'm reading the brand makes a difference but does the style? My SIL gets a solid color and loves them. I've gotten the french and have been very disappointed.

I found out a great trick with Gel nails. I got them last week and did the French tip on natural nail look. I wondered after if i could put another color on for formal nights. I painted over the pretty shiny gel coat. The next day I took of the racy red I experimented with and yahoo, I'm back to the pretty shiny gel coat, perfectly.

Just a heads up for those who like to change up mid cruise... lol

I found out a great trick with Gel nails. I got them last week and did the French tip on natural nail look. I wondered after if i could put another color on for formal nights. I painted over the pretty shiny gel coat. The next day I took of the racy red I experimented with and yahoo, I'm back to the pretty shiny gel coat, perfectly.

Just a heads up for those who like to change up mid cruise... lol

I would use non-acetone polish remover for this... otherwise you could interfere with the topcoat and get a dull finish on your gel when you take off the polish. But yes, it's nice to be able to have a change! (and polish over a gel product always lasts longer and goes on super-smooth).

• 1 month later...

I'm just resurrecting this thread to tell of my 6-week try with the gel manicure. My salon uses Gelish. At first I loved it - I hadn't worn color for a couple of years after removing my acrylics and letting my nails recover, and I just loved having red fingertips again!

But then they chipped after 10 days and snagged on everything. I did them twice more (and my manicurist removed them just as shown in the video) and both times they started chipping after 7-10 days. And my nails were growing fast enough that I had to get them redone every two weeks (my friends seem to be able to wear them for 3-4). So I'm back to regular manicures, no polish (it's gone by the end of the day on my natural nails). I'll save them for special occasions. <snif>

I have very thin nails that break easily. I also have lots of cuticle issues. I get hangnails something awful. My cruise is at the end of May, and I was thinking I would start getting gel manicures at the end of April to promote some length (and hopefully, the professional attention will help with the hangnail issue). I just want to look "finished". Does this sound like a good idea?

My nails are short. Should I go with short colored nails with gel polish or get some acrylics?

My norm is a regular short manicure with clear polish but I want some glamour for cruising.

Mine are relatively short too -- just got my first Shellac manicure today. I'm very happy with the way the look now, and hoping they hold up well during the cruise I'm leaving for tomorow. If they do I think I'll let them grow just a little longer before getting a Shellac french manicure for my wedding cruise.

I have very thin nails that break easily. I also have lots of cuticle issues. I get hangnails something awful. My cruise is at the end of May, and I was thinking I would start getting gel manicures at the end of April to promote some length (and hopefully, the professional attention will help with the hangnail issue). I just want to look "finished". Does this sound like a good idea?

Have thin nails too that split. Got a gel polish 1 week ago and they look just as good as the day I got them done and my nails are growing. Since you get them done only every three weeks give it a try ASAP. You will love the results.

Archived