What if there's a snowstorm? Trip Insurance and Frequent Flier tix?

GE Mom

We're booked with American Airlines frequent flier tix from Chicago to Miami on February 3 for a Feb 4 cruise, a group of five. We purchased TravelGuard insurance, and the rep told us to make the amount enough to cover the cruise plus the fee to change the tickets. Now, I'm thinking about the Groundhog day blizzard (20+" of snow) we had last year, which closed the airport for a full day. What would the insurance do in such a case? I'm sure there won't be any Frequent Flier tickets available, so would they pay for a purchase ticket? Has anyone encountered such a situation?

From the TravelGuard Gold NC policy under Trip Interruption Benefits:

© additional transportation expenses incurred by the Insured

to reach the original Trip Destination if the Insured is

delayed, and leaves after the Departure Date.

However, the benefit payable under (b) and © above will not

exceed the cost of economy airfare or the same class as the

Insured’s original ticket less any refunds paid or payable by the

most direct route.

Translation: They'll pay, but if you started out with a coach ticket, you aren't getting an upgrade at the insurance company's expense, even if it's the only option, unless that upgrade is for some bizarre reason cheaper than a walk-up economy ticket.

The limit for trip interruption is 150% of insured cost, so they'll cover your missed vacation days, and probably the whole plane ticket.

Benefits may vary by state and will certainly vary by provider, but you'd be covered under this policy.

On another note, looking over this, the latest edition of the policy, they've removed the confusing limitation stating that the inclement weather delay must cause the complete cessation of all common carrier traffic for X hours. It's now: If it's a weather delay or cancellation, you can claim for Interruption or Cancellation.

We're booked with American Airlines frequent flier tix from Chicago to Miami on February 3 for a Feb 4 cruise, a group of five. We purchased TravelGuard insurance, and the rep told us to make the amount enough to cover the cruise plus the fee to change the tickets. Now, I'm thinking about the Groundhog day blizzard (20+" of snow) we had last year, which closed the airport for a full day. What would the insurance do in such a case? I'm sure there won't be any Frequent Flier tickets available, so would they pay for a purchase ticket? Has anyone encountered such a situation?

Travel Guard has a number of plans and each can have different coverages and each would cover the cost of flying to the next port of call in its own way. For example, with their "Gold" coverage you would have $250 per person to cover the following:

"MISSED CONNECTION

If, while on a Trip, the Insured misses a Trip departure resulting from cancellation or delay of 3 or more hours of all regularly scheduled airline flights due to Inclement Weather or Common Carrier caused delay, the Insurer will reimburse the Insured up to the Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule for:

1. additional transportation expenses incurred by the Insured to join the departed Trip;

2. prepaid, non-refundable Trip payments for the unused portion of the Trip.

The Common Carrier must certify the delay of the regularly scheduled airline flight."

With other plans the Missed Connection coverage is $500, with other plans this coverage is not included. With some plans you can increase the Missed Connection coverage by paying an additional benefit, with some you can't.

Call Travel Guard directly and have them explain to you exactly what coverage you have, the delay time required to set the coverage in motion, and what other coverages the plan might include related to weather delays (for example, under what circumstances can you cancel the trip rather than get to the next port of call).

Travel Guard has a number of plans and each can have different coverages and each would cover the cost of flying to the next port of call in its own way. For example, with their "Gold" coverage you would have $250 per person to cover the following:

"MISSED CONNECTION

If, while on a Trip, the Insured misses a Trip departure resulting from cancellation or delay of 3 or more hours of all regularly scheduled airline flights due to Inclement Weather or Common Carrier caused delay, the Insurer will reimburse the Insured up to the Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule for:

1. additional transportation expenses incurred by the Insured to join the departed Trip;

2. prepaid, non-refundable Trip payments for the unused portion of the Trip.

The Common Carrier must certify the delay of the regularly scheduled airline flight."

With other plans the Missed Connection coverage is $500, with other plans this coverage is not included. With some plans you can increase the Missed Connection coverage by paying an additional benefit, with some you can't.

Call Travel Guard directly and have them explain to you exactly what coverage you have, the delay time required to set the coverage in motion, and what other coverages the plan might include related to weather delays (for example, under what circumstances can you cancel the trip rather than get to the next port of call).

To explain further: You'd file under Trip Interruption to get from ORD -> MIA. You would then file under Missed Connection to get from MIA to the ship.

I think the other part of the OP's question is,,,,,,

Do I just call Travelguard and then they call the airline and provide a purchase order to buy me new tickets? or do I have to pay for the new tickets out of my pocket and then file for reimbursement?

I think the other part of the OP's question is,,,,,,

Do I just call Travelguard and then they call the airline and provide a purchase order to buy me new tickets? or do I have to pay for the new tickets out of my pocket and then file for reimbursement?

This was answered:

If, while on a Trip, the Insured misses a Trip departure resulting from cancellation or delay of 3 or more hours of all regularly scheduled airline flights due to Inclement Weather or Common Carrier caused delay, the Insurer will reimburse the Insured up to the Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule for..

I really appreciate the advice, and thanks for taking the time to respond. I will, of course, read the policy and call the company -- but I thought I'd ask the veteran cruisers, too. I bet there were a lot of missed cruises for people who were flying out of ORD or MDW last Feb 2!

As a side note, I believe most comprehensive insurers have an Emergency Help Line that can connect you with an in-house travel agency. I have used TravelGuard's to do an emergency re-route after I was stuck in FLL when a blizzard hit farther north, and they were wonderful. (They even have a non-toll-free number that accepts collect calls if you are overseas.) They rebooked my flight, arranged for a last-second rental car, and did even more re-booking work later when my first rebooked flight didn't work out.

Also, using the in-house agent also helps reassure the insurance company that you got the best ticket price.

As a side note, I believe most comprehensive insurers have an Emergency Help Line that can connect you with an in-house travel agency. I have used TravelGuard's to do an emergency re-route after I was stuck in FLL when a blizzard hit farther north, and they were wonderful. (They even have a non-toll-free number that accepts collect calls if you are overseas.) They rebooked my flight, arranged for a last-second rental car, and did even more re-booking work later when my first rebooked flight didn't work out.

Also, using the in-house agent also helps reassure the insurance company that you got the best ticket price.

Yes, definitely try the 24-hour number first -- it beats standing in line with a few thousand other stranded travelers at the airport counter trying to fix things. I'm just not too sure how much help they can be in making changes to tickets obtained with FF miles.

Archived