First Time NCL Cruiser...

RollerCoasterLover

Not much different

The main difference is NCL's freestyle dining. Which works exactly the same as land restaurants. Show up when the restaurant is open and get seated with the number in your party. The Jewel offers 18 dining venues to choose from. (19 if Moderno has been put in yet).

http://www2.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Dining_Flyer_062211.pdf

The jewel is a larger ship than the Sensation. The cabins are slightly smaller, but do offer lots of storage IMO.

The Jewel is a newer ship than the Sensation

NCL has no formal nights.

Don't know the Carnival policy as we haven't cruised the line in some time but two years ago with NCL we were able pick our debarkation time and remain in our cabin until called. It was nice not having to lug our carry on bags to a common area.

Don't know the Carnival policy as we haven't cruised the line in some time but two years ago with NCL we were able pick our debarkation time and remain in our cabin until called. It was nice not having to lug our carry on bags to a common area.

You don't even have to pick a disembarkation time with NCL if you want to carry your own bags off. You can choose "easy walkoff".

They're very similar except for the fixed dining times. Jewel has lots of various restaurant venues to choose from in addition to their no-fee dining rooms.

The cabins on NCL are smaller but the bathrooms are a funky 3 part room that takes up more space than a Carnival bathroom. No amenities basket on NCL. No outside movie screen.

Just check out the whole ship bow to stern on each deck. That's what we do when we board. This way we don't miss anything. Spinnaker Lounge is my favorite place on the Jewel and Gem.

Have fun!!!

You also don't have to dress up on NCL if you don't want to, which is a feature we love. On the "dress up nights", if you don't care to dress up, one restaurant is designated for dress up, one for dress down.

You can take a lot less clothes with you!

I wouldn't really say designated for dress up, as much as less casual. Why I correct that is the one considered "more formal" still allows jeans just not shorts. Jeans are a far way from "dress up" in my opinion.

Trying to accurately state the policy is like splitting hairs. You will see people in formal clothes that will go to the designated restaurant on that night, and then people like me in jeans at the other. One is dressed up, one is dressed casually.

I wouldn't really say designated for dress up, as much as less casual. Why I correct that is the one considered "more formal" still allows jeans just not shorts. Jeans are a far way from "dress up" in my opinion.

Archived