Natural Pool

Megalodon

I am considering taking a tour that visits the Natural Pool. I have read that it may be unsafe - difficult to get into, slippery etc...

I am a larger woman and an avid snorkeler, but I am worried what getting in and out of the natural pool may involve. :o

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Getting to the pool is a long drive and the hike down to it and back can be difficult for some people. The rocks around the pool itself are slippery. It can be difficult to climb in and out, and at times, it's rough and very crowded. You can see what it looks like if you just google, "Natural Pool Aruba pictures". That may help you make your decision. Also, read the reviews about it on Tripadvisor - lots of good information there.

The Natural Pool is not a "must see" for me.

The Natural Pool is not a "must see" for me.
I agree. :) My then 13 yo had problems climbing out on the slippery rocks.

If anything one would go for the "sight" not the snorkeling. There are many other places on the island easier to snorkel and much safer.

I agree with all the prior posts. I am a larger woman and I went on a jeep tour that went to the Natural Pool. It is a long walk down a rocky steep "hill." I wore water socks at the advice of my sister in law. Thankfully I did, because the rocks are very very slippery.

It was a little difficult getting out, and I scatched my knee on some coral which added to the difficulty. But the hardest part was climbing up that steep hill. It is very strenuious and I was moving very slowly. I held up the entire line, but everyone was supportive and cheered when I got to the top.:p

I am glad I went, but since I am not in the best of shape, would I go again? No. Once was enough, but it sure was beautiful.

There are other nice sites to see in Aruba. Whatever you choose, have a great time!!

Mindi:D

• 3 weeks later...

If I had know how hard a climb it would be I wouldn't tried it. It was nice but I would certinaly never do it again. Give me baby beach. This time We are doing a 4x4 but stopping at baby beach instead of the natural pool. I'm short and I defintely had a hard time climming up.

I would say take the tour, but be prepared to wait at the top when you get there just in case you don't feel comfortable with the steps. I walked down them but was nervous about walking back up. I have knee problems and am overweight. I am trying to attach a picture I took looking up from the pool to the top where you have to walk, but it doesn't seem to be working. The steps are uneven and some are steep. The pool itself was slippery. My husband went in but I was too nervous so I watched from the side.

• 1 month later...

My wife and 18 year old daughter and I spent a week In Aruba last April. We rented a Jeep for 4 days and toured the Island on our own. My wife is 48 and I am 50, both of us as well as our daughter are very fit , I am training for my next Marathon We all were very cautious going to the Natural Pool and were the only ones there at that time. It was much more rugged than I thought it would be and that Tripadvisor said that it was. I was out voted 2-1 to continue to the pool once we finally found the road to get there. We didn't go there to snorkel, but to just say we did it. It is very beautiful and worth seeing ,but I would not take the risk again. If I were there for a short time I would go to Eagle Beach, or snorkel at Arashi

Good luck:cool:

• 1 month later...

rugged is right!! i went w/ a friend )who has been to aruba every year for 10 years ( she was our personal tour guide) ) and a few others who have never been. natural pool was fun but slightly hazerdous. is was slippery i did slip once or twice. the boys who came w. all made sure to climb up the rocks to jump into the pool. i tried several time and failed.. you have to also time things right w. the water coming in and out of the rocks. i fully enjoyed it but it was a challenge..

and ill say i was 23 at the time a lil bigger but still i consider myself more agile then some small girls.. :)

I agree that it is tricky...I am male mid 40s, reasonably agile and sure of foot and I found it a challenge to get in and out. The rocks were very slippery and the route is not straight-forward. One of our tour slipped on exiting and grazed herself. The snorkeling is pretty good but Baby Beach was much easier to access. Both trips were done with ABC Aruba Jeep tours...enjoyed our visits but Natural Pool was a challenge.

Video at Natural Pool here

David.

What turned me off about getting in the natural pool were the many people already in it! I took my time going down and back up, so that wasn't a problem, but I had no desire to get in after seeing so many people. I was there in Sep during off season, and I thought it was crowded.

It's a very interesting and beautiful site, though, to see how nature has created this small pool next to the ocean. If I were you, I'd bring binoculars, stand at the top, and watch nature doing its thing.

Archived