Please tell me all about Carnival's Behind the Scene tour!

tassycatt

Here's a link to my review from Conquest in 2010: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1151709&highlight=conquest&page=3. For us, it was well worth the price - but we're ship geeks;). As for goodies, we received backpacks with "Behind the Fun" caps and wristbands, carved soaps, and a plate of chocolate-covered strawberries delivered to our cabin during the tour. It is a lengthy tour - ours went from 8:45 t0 12:30 on the last sea day. You can register at the shore excursions desk when you board.

Our experience was the same when we did our tour on the Conquest. We enjoyed it and appreciate the ship and crew much more after being on the tour. Be sure to sign up at your first opportunity on embarkation day. The tour fills up fast and is limited to a small number of participants. Also where something comfortable on the tour. It is an active tour that goes all over the ship and up and down staircases in different locations between the decks.

Edited by JimAOk1945

My understanding is that it's less expensive on the smaller ships, such as the Triumph. Besides the lower cost, what are the other differences between the tour of the smaller & larger ships? Thank you!

I also think that some people are doing a tour that is not the full tour..I think they are doing a tour that only tours the galley ?? and it costs less money. The full tour is wonderful. You see so many areas and departments of the ship that passengers are not allowed to go in...and also areas that crew work in that never see a single passenger (unless those that come through on the tour). Each department's manager will give you an informative description of what their job is and what their department is all about. There is some hands on stuff you get to try your hand at as well. Being up on the bridge was great. Be sure to sign up as soon as you board on embarkation day.

I also think that some people are doing a tour that is not the full tour..I think they are doing a tour that only tours the galley ?? and it costs less money. The full tour is wonderful. You see so many areas and departments of the ship that passengers are not allowed to go in...and also areas that crew work in that never see a single passenger (unless those that come through on the tour). Each department's manager will give you an informative description of what their job is and what their department is all about. There is some hands on stuff you get to try your hand at as well. Being up on the bridge was great. Be sure to sign up as soon as you board on embarkation day.

I don't know if the higher priced tour has more on it than ours did (on the Inspiration - $55.00 per person) or not, but it certainly did more than go to the galley.

We started in the MardiGras dining room, through the galley (with a couple of stops for the chef(s) to explain what they were doing (which in this case was prepping food for the at sea day brunch and then out through the Carnivale dining room.

Then we went to the laundry, where one of the laundry people (sorry, can't remember his rank), saw the washers & dryers (running), then to the folding room and had the opportunity to run the towel folding machine.

To the Engine Control Room, where the Chief Engineer explained many of the monitors and dials. While there the alarm sounded (twice) because of a problem with one of the stabilizers.

Then we went down the main passageway for the crew to use to get from one end of the ship to the other (I think it was called Broadway?). We stopped in the middle (quite large area) where supplies are loaded before being distributed to the proper areas (also used for crew parties).

Stopped by the officer's dining room (could only look in window on door, as they were having a meeting). Then to the crew's dining room, where we had a little talk about foods/dining for the crew.

Then on to the crew "night club". Where they have a little bar setup, pool table, DJ booth, lighting effects, large comfy seating lounge area and a door out to the crew pool.

Then we went up to the main theatre, backstage entrance, took a tour around the backstage area and met the dance captain who explained about the hiring process, rehearsal, and stage productions.

Then we went to the bridge, where we met the Captain and a couple of lower officers. He explained the process about becoming a captain on a Carnival ship, and fielded questions from the group. We had a group picture taken with him.

Then we got baseball hats, Carnival "First to the Fun" lanyards and bracelets and were released. Sometime later 2 copies of the picture taken were delivered to our room. And we got a plate of goodies from the chef.

2pttrmx.jpg

My understanding is that it's less expensive on the smaller ships, such as the Triumph. Besides the lower cost, what are the other differences between the tour of the smaller & larger ships? Thank you!

I was told at the Shore Exc. desk on the Triumph that they don't do it on that ship.

I did it on the Magic last month and loved it. There is a LOT of stairs and standing, though.