Looking for info about Funchal-Madeira? I'm always pleased to help!

Hi Biaria, I love reading your suggestions and advice! You are kind to help out so much :)

I do have a question for you. We will be on Madeira on Good Friday next month. Will a lot of things be closed? Someone else going on our cruise has said the toboggans will be closed down. What about the market in town, the cable cars, botanical gardens, etc? I think we will probably end up hiring a private car for a few hours (we're docked from 8am to 5pm) so hopefully the company I've been recommended will be open that day!

Thanks again for all the wonderful information!

Tracy

Hi kymry,

I'm pleased to know you like my advice.

Yes, lots of things will be closed on Good Friday.

I'm not sure about the toboggans, I'll have to call them. I'm not at home now and I don't have their number. I'll be back home this Saturday, so I'll try to find out then.

The market will be closed, but the cable car and the Botanical Gardens will be open.

Yes, tour companies usually operate on Good Friday.

You're welcome and enjoy your day here.

Hi biaria

We will be making our second cruise stop to your island on Sunday 15th April.

We saw a lot of Funchal town itself on our last visit and were very grateful for your help on that occasion.

We did not see the botanical gardens last time and would be interested in going there this time.

My questions are

1. Will the gardens be open on a Sunday

2. I have mobility problems and cannot go up and down steps or stairs. Is it possible to see the gardens without any steps up or down?

3. If we go to the gardens, how is it best to get there and how long should we allow for the visit?

4. Our ship is in port from 8am to 5pm. Bearing in mind my mobility problems, can you suggest anything else we could do?

Thanks for your help

Hello Carol,

Good to know my advice helped you last time.

Now, for todays' questions:

1. Yes, the Botanical Gardens open normal hours on Sundays.

2. Because of your mobility problems, you won't be able to walk all over the gardens, however there's a viewpoint where you'll see most of the area you won't be able to get to.

3. And because of your problem, the best is you taking a taxi from the pier to the Gardens.

4. Again, because you can't walk well, I'd advise you to take a taxi tour, including the visit to the Botanical Gradens. You can either take a taxi at the pier, or contact someone and make arrangements in advance. The island is so beautiful, so there's lots to see and I'm sure you'll have a pleasant day.

Biaria, were you able to find out if the toboggans are closed on Good Friday? I'm getting some conflicting information about them hahah!

Also, can you recommend a good vineyard/bodega to tour and buy/taste some wine?

Thanks again!

Tracy

Hello Tracy,

I called the Toboggans just now and they said they always close on Good Friday, but considering the fact that there'll be two cruise ships at the pier this year, they're still going to decide.

Blandy's Wine Lodge is excellent. It's right in town, so of easy access.

Dear Biaria

This thread has been so helpful! Really enjoyed reading through it and I learned so much.

Having finally found a good map, I am ready to mark down the locations of a couple of internet cafes with computers (not just wifi). Would you know of any in the area between the dock and the market?

Many thanks for any info you could give!

Hi SilvertoGold,

To my knowledge, there are two internet cafes not far from the market. I don't think I can name them, as it will be considered advertisement, but if you google "internet cafe funchal" or "cybercafe Funchal", you'll most probably find them and maybe others, too.

Biaria, I just noticed my reply to you isn't on the thread! I wanted to thank you for the outstanding information and so quickly! We will definitely try to hit Blandy's, thanks thanks thanks!

Tracy

Archived