Looking for info about Funchal-Madeira? I'm always pleased to help!

Hi trishu,

Yes, the toboggan ride and the basket ride are exactly the same thing.

Well, I think people choose to try it more for the fun... and maybe also because it's so popular.

You'll probably be ok on the toboggan ride, unless you have any type of back problems. Anyway, you can have a look at other people going down and then you decide if you feel or not that it's ok for you. By the way, it's 15 EUR per person, sharing.

Be prepared - take some extra Euros if you do the toboggan ride. We were told before we left that it was 15 Euros, and our guide told us on the way up the hill it was 15 Euros. When we got to the toboggan, they told us it was 18 Euros. Luckily some people had extra Euros with them, so nobody had to miss the trip down the hill because of that. After the "ride", we told our tour person that it was 18 Euros and he was quite surprised, but figured they had just raised the price. Now that you are still posting 15 Euros, it makes me wonder what went on that day?

Hello VegasCrossfire,

I'm very surprised too! Thank you for letting us know.

They had increased the Toboggan ride to 15 EUR just a couple of months ago, if they're now charging 18 EUR it's very foolish.

I'll call them tomorrow to make sure if this is their new rate.

Hope you had a great day in Madeira.

Be prepared - take some extra Euros if you do the toboggan ride. We were told before we left that it was 15 Euros, and our guide told us on the way up the hill it was 15 Euros. When we got to the toboggan, they told us it was 18 Euros. Luckily some people had extra Euros with them, so nobody had to miss the trip down the hill because of that. After the "ride", we told our tour person that it was 18 Euros and he was quite surprised, but figured they had just raised the price. Now that you are still posting 15 Euros, it makes me wonder what went on that day?

Hello again VegasCrossfire,

I got a confirmation from the Toboggan about price per person - it is still 15 EUR. Sadly, it seems you were over charged.

This is all very strange, really, because it's the first time I hear of such a complaint.

Hi Biaria,

We are going to be in Funchal March 18, 2012 which happens to be a Sunday. We are only scheduled to be in port from 0800-1300. Will anything be open at that time? Will the market be opened? I notice on the Blandy Lodge site it shows they are not open on Sundays. Do they make an exception when a ship is in town?

Any suggestions for Sunday activities? This is our second time in your city so we have done the tobaggon ride and the drive around the island. We were hoping for some wine tasting and flower buying.

Thanks for you help and all the information you so generously provide.

Rebecca

Biaria,

Can you recommend some place to have lunch?

Thanks,

Nancy

Hello Nancy,

The Old Town area has good restaurants. It's very close to the Market and the cable car station in town.

Hello again Nancy,

I'd love to, but it's against CC's rules, because I'm a local. I'm very sorry.

Anyway, just browse the restaurant area and choose the one that appeals to you the most.

Enjoy your visit!

Hi Biaria,

We are going to be in Funchal March 18, 2012 which happens to be a Sunday. We are only scheduled to be in port from 0800-1300. Will anything be open at that time? Will the market be opened? I notice on the Blandy Lodge site it shows they are not open on Sundays. Do they make an exception when a ship is in town?

Any suggestions for Sunday activities? This is our second time in your city so we have done the tobaggon ride and the drive around the island. We were hoping for some wine tasting and flower buying.

Thanks for you help and all the information you so generously provide.

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

The market is closed on Sundays, but you can buy your flowers outside, from the flower ladies.

Blandy's Wine Lodge will most certainly open on the day you're coming. It's only when a cruise ship comes by their agency, which I believe is your case, that they open on Sundays. However, they don't do any wine tasting tours on those days, just wine tasting.

Well, what else can you do...? Visit Churches, gardens - maybe you'd like to see the Botanical Gardens, but you'll need transport. Bus #31, on the main waterfront avenue, will take you there, bus #31A is also good.

Close to the market area is Madeira Story Centre Museum, which is another place you can visit.

Enjoy Madeira!

Hello again Nancy,

I'd love to, but it's against CC's rules, because I'm a local. I'm very sorry.

Anyway, just browse the restaurant area and choose the one that appeals to you the most.

Enjoy your visit!

Biaria,

Thanks again for responding and I understand why you can't recommend any restaurants. I'm sure most are very good.

Nancy

Hello again VegasCrossfire,

I got a confirmation from the Toboggan about price per person - it is still 15 EUR. Sadly, it seems you were over charged.

This is all very strange, really, because it's the first time I hear of such a complaint.

Thanks for checking that out for me.

Now you have me wondering if I am remembering correctly. I sent an email out to others on the tour to see what they remember about the price. I'll be back....

Biaria,

Thanks again for responding and I understand why you can't recommend any restaurants. I'm sure most are very good.

Nancy

Nancy, you're welcome and thank you for understanding.

Yes, most restaurants are good.

Bye.

Thanks for checking that out for me.

Now you have me wondering if I am remembering correctly. I sent an email out to others on the tour to see what they remember about the price. I'll be back....

Yes, please, VegasCrossfire, let me know. I'd like to be informed if the Toboggan is capable of such fraud.

Hello

I'm all set for Madeira in Nov. ~booked my air this a.m. ~have my room reserved, soooo :D!

Will, of course, see Danny in April ~~can hardly wait! Hope to see you, as well ~~

Certainly looking forward to being in Funchal, once again !

Martita B

Hi Biaria

we are travelling to Maderia next month, and would like to do the cable car, and the basket downhill. Myself and my mum are unable to walk long distances eg, back into town. What is the best way to see as much as possible and how easy it is to do both cable car and baskets ?? Is there many shops / cafes near to where the ship docks?? I apologise I expect you have been asked so many times

Thank you so much Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Maybe you better hire a taxi to cater for everything you're planning to do.

I think you'll be ok in both the cable car and the baskets, unless you have any back issues that may bother you during the basket ride.

There's a bar and a wine shop at the pier, so not that much, but there are shops and cafes in town and in several other parts.

You're welcome and have a nice day.

Yes, please, VegasCrossfire, let me know. I'd like to be informed if the Toboggan is capable of such fraud.

I sent an email out to our friends who were on the Toboggan. I didn't mention any prices - I just asked them what the original price was supposed to be and what they actually paid.

3 people wrote back and said 15 Euros to 18 Euros.

1 person said 15 Euros to 20 Euros.

1 person said she didn't remember.

So...........I started looking through all my "original" cruise information. I discovered that we were originally told 12.5 Euros....so I'm assuming we paid 15 Euros which is the new price. They must have changed the price just about the time we left for the cruise.

Which means.....I owe the Toboggan people an apology. They did not overcharge us - I remembered wrong.:o

I guess it shows that it really didn't make that much of a bad impression on us. It was still a wonderful day in a beautiful Island!;)

Good morning VegasCrossfire,

That's right, Tobogann ride used to be 12.50 EUR, but some months ago there was an increase to 15 EUR. I'm pleased they didn't overcharge you, after all.

Let me add though, that I didn't find this increase a good idea. At a time when everybody is trying to save, it's very bad practice to increase any entertainment prices.

Hi Sarah,

Maybe you better hire a taxi to cater for everything you're planning to do.

I think you'll be ok in both the cable car and the baskets, unless you have any back issues that may bother you during the basket ride.

There's a bar and a wine shop at the pier, so not that much, but there are shops and cafes in town and in several other parts.

You're welcome and have a nice day.

Thank you so much do you know how much a taxi should be ?? from Cruise Terminal to cable car ?? & from the bottom of baskets back into town. I have read that some of the taxi drivers try and overcharge us ?!? is it far from the main shops back to the terminal ??

Sorry to be such a pain but with only 3 weeks til we come Im trying to organise our days so we get the most out of our time in ports

Thank you once again

Sarah x

You're welcome Sarah.

A taxi from the pier to the cable car station, or anywhere else in town, is 7.50 EUR.

From the bottom of the baskets to town, don't pay more than 10 EUR, or 15 EUR if you're being dropped off at the pier. You're right, these drivers always overcharge, so you'll have to negotiate these prices with them. Alternatively you can take the bus down - 1.90 EUR per person for a inbus ticket.

In case you decide to hire at taxi at the pier, you can expect to pay between 95 and 120 EUR for a half day or between 150 and 180 EUR for a day, depending on the itinerary and, mostly, on the driver.

The main shops are in town and to walk from there to the pier it takes about 30 to 40 minutes. A taxi from town to the pier is, also, 7.50 EUR.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Thanks so much Biaria. You mention the churches as being able to be visited on a Sunday. Do you happen to know what time Sunday services usually are?

Thanks again. I had not realized with so many sea days that the first day in port would end up being a Sunday.

Rebecca

Hello Rebecca,

As your cruise ship is leaving at 1pm, the church services you can attend are: Cathedral - 9am, Carmo 9:30am and Colegio - 10am. All these churches are in the centre of town.

Penha de França Chapel has English Mass at 10am every Sunday. This chapel is not in the city centre, but is not far from the pier either.

• 1 month later...

Archived