Looking for info about Funchal-Madeira? I'm always pleased to help!

Hi everybody, Happy New Year!

Well, here I am starting my own thread.

As always, my presence on Cruise Critic is to offer my help to anybody who may be in need of it, so please, keep on sending me all you questions, doubts, inquiries... and nice words too, for that matter. :)

Have a great time on Madeira island!

Hi Capricruiser,

Thanks for being the first poster after me. I hope this thread is as successful as the other one.

Oh... so you'll be starting your cruise very soon! Have an enjoyable time and have a nice day on Madeira... and thank you so much for the kind words. :)

Happy New Year!

Hi there, me and my boyfriend will be going to Madeira on the 25 April 2012. We will be arriving at around 12pm and leaving at 0630pm. I have had a look at all the excursions that our cruise line offers us but I'm not interested in any of them. Is the port close to a town so we can get off and have a look around by ourselves? We would have been at sea for 2 days before docking so getting off will be brilliant but I don't want to go on a tour, just a little wander to get off the ship for a while.

Thank you

CK x

Hi everybody, Happy New Year!

Well, here I am starting my own thread.

As always, my presence on Cruise Critic is to offer my help to anybody who may be in need of it, so please, keep on sending me all you questions, doubts, inquiries... and nice words too, for that matter. :)

Have a great time on Madeira island!

Biaria,

Threr are 3 of us travelling to Funchal arriving on April 22 and would appretiate it if you could suggest a good tour for us. We range in age from 53 to 87. We did see one mentioned that takes you up into the mountains and then stops at a winery for a tasting. The problem is that we could not find out who ran the tour or the price. Thanks, Susan

Hi there, me and my boyfriend will be going to Madeira on the 25 April 2012. We will be arriving at around 12pm and leaving at 0630pm. I have had a look at all the excursions that our cruise line offers us but I'm not interested in any of them. Is the port close to a town so we can get off and have a look around by ourselves? We would have been at sea for 2 days before docking so getting off will be brilliant but I don't want to go on a tour, just a little wander to get off the ship for a while.

Thank you

CK x

Hello Cruise_Kitten,

Yes, Funchal's pier is very conveniently situated close to the centre of town, so you can easily walk there, or take the shuttle bus, if there's one.

April 25 is Freedom Day, a public holiday, so you'll find that a couple of things will be closed, but don't worry - Funchal is a pretty town and there's a lot to attract your attention.

Enjoy your visit.

Biaria,

Threr are 3 of us travelling to Funchal arriving on April 22 and would appretiate it if you could suggest a good tour for us. We range in age from 53 to 87. We did see one mentioned that takes you up into the mountains and then stops at a winery for a tasting. The problem is that we could not find out who ran the tour or the price. Thanks, Susan

Hello Susan,

I think you might enjoy a tour including some highlights, but that doesn't take too much driving. Maybe something like Pico dos Barcelos, Cabo Girao, Monte, Nun's Valley, Camara de Lobos.

April 22 is a Sunday, so most wineries will be closed, however some wine shops also offer wine tasting.

On April 22 we're having the Flower Parade. It starts at 4pm and runs along the main waterfront avenue first. The Flower Exhibition and the flower carpets are also very beautiful, if you have the time try not to miss it.

I'm sorry I can't give you any specific information about tour operator or their prices, but maybe google will help you find something.

Have a nice day on the island.

We just returned from a 12-night cruise on Independence of the Seas, including a stop in Madeira. We had a wonderful guide - Daniel, from Daniel Taxis (http://www.danielmadeirataxis.com/). He is a wonderful guide, and you can tell that he loves what he does. Madeira is beautiful, and far exceeded our expectations. Have a great trip!

This is one of the most beautiful ports we have ever toured. We had a great day in one of the Island's biggest, newest bus with a great tour guide.

This is one port I would advise trying to tour...not just walking around the town (which is what we usually do btw).

Hello. We returned from the Canary Islands cruise yesterday. Here are my recommendations re car service and guides.

Car Service: Smiths for Airports London Car Service (http://www.smithsforairports.com/index.html). They picked us up at Heathrow and drove us to hotel in London pre-cruise, took us from hotel to Southampton; picked up at Southampton and back to hotel; hotel to Heathrow. They are reliable, prompt, flexible - everything you would want from a car service.

Madeira: Daniel from Daniel Taxis (http://www.danielmadeirataxis.com/) - Excellent! Highly recommend.

Vigo: Brendan Lowe (guidedgalicia@yahoo.com)

La Coruna (and Santiago de Compostela): Brendan Lowe (guidedgalicia@yahoo.com) - Excellent for both tours! Highly recommend.

In Lanzarote we took the ship's tour of Camel Ride & Fire Mountain. It was fine.

The ship's tour, Las Palmas & Bandama, was fine as well.

Enjoy!

Hello Susan,

I think you might enjoy a tour including some highlights, but that doesn't take too much driving. Maybe something like Pico dos Barcelos, Cabo Girao, Monte, Nun's Valley, Camara de Lobos.

April 22 is a Sunday, so most wineries will be closed, however some wine shops also offer wine tasting.

On April 22 we're having the Flower Parade. It starts at 4pm and runs along the main waterfront avenue first. The Flower Exhibition and the flower carpets are also very beautiful, if you have the time try not to miss it.

I'm sorry I can't give you any specific information about tour operator or their prices, but maybe google will help you find something.

Have a nice day on the island.

Hello Biaria,

I am the 53 yr old of the group. The Flower Parade sounds wonderful. I think we should go to that. We were thinking of an all day ship's tour, but maybe now we will do a 1/2 day tour and go to the parade. How far from the ship's dock is the parade?

Thanks for your help,

Ellen

Hello Ellen,

Yes, try not to miss the Flower Parade. As it starts at 4pm, you have enough time for a half day tour. The itinerary I suggested, is doable as half day.

The parade goes along the waterfront avenue, which is right in front of the pier.

The Carnival Parades used to start at the waterfront and then run through several streets, but this year it's following a shorter route and only along the waterfront avenue, so probably it will happen the same with the Flower Parade.

Enjoy Madeira!

Hello again,

I have sent the Dias hotel 2 e-mails as to inquiring of rooms for next Nov......but 'alas, no replies! Should I simply call the hotel and talk to reservations/front desk? I would certainly like a brochure mailed to me.

Hope all is well in beautiful Funchal! See 'ya in April :D

Martita B

Hello Martita,

Welcome! Nice to see you on my new thread.

Dias hotel didn't answer the phone either.

Yes, all is perfect around here. With Christmas and the New Year long gone, we're now starting to kink about Carnival. On Saturday night, Feb. 18, we're having a beauuuuutiful parade and on Carnival Day itself, at 4pm in the afternoon, we're having the People's Parade, where anybody can take part, as long as they're wearing some kind of disguise.

Have a great weekend!

Biaria, our port visit to Funchal will be on a Saturday. We would like to see the Market, walk around Old Town, take the cable car to Monte, take the toboggan ride, see either Monte Tropical or Funchal Botanical, and take the tour at Blandy’s. However, since it’s Saturday we don’t know whether Monte Tropical is open and Blandy’s only tour is at 11:00 a.m. Our ship docks at 9:00 a.m. and we need to be back on board by 4:00 p.m. Can you recommend a logical and efficient itinerary for these activities? We prefer taking cabs to walking long distances or taking the bus, if that helps. Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Hi seanms,

Monte Tropical Gardens open everyday, so you can go there if you wish. It will take you at least 2 hours to have a good look around. The Botanical Gardens are smaller, but very nice too. One hour is enough to visit them.

You'll have enough time to do everything you're planning to, but, and as you prefer using cabs, you better hire a taxi at the pier for the day. You tell the driver what you wish to see and do and ask him for a quotation. Don't just settle for the first one, ask a couple of others and you'll see that the further back on the taxi line they are, the lower they'll charge you.

You can also have your tour arranged in advance.

Appreciate the advice!

Hi seanms,

Monte Tropical Gardens open everyday, so you can go there if you wish. It will take you at least 2 hours to have a good look around. The Botanical Gardens are smaller, but very nice too. One hour is enough to visit them.

You'll have enough time to do everything you're planning to, but, and as you prefer using cabs, you better hire a taxi at the pier for the day. You tell the driver what you wish to see and do and ask him for a quotation. Don't just settle for the first one, ask a couple of others and you'll see that the further back on the taxi line they are, the lower they'll charge you.

You can also have your tour arranged in advance.

Thank you

CK x

Hi as somebody else has said Daniel's taxis are fantastic. we have just returned from our cruise and I arranged the tour via email before we left. We reached Maderia walked off the ship and there was Daniel waiting for us. He didn't even mind that our tour for 2 turned into a tour for 4! Daniel loves his island and wanted to share that love with us,nothing was too much trouble for him. I have some absolutley stunning pictures to remind me of our tour. We finished it at Monte and came down in the cable car..the tobaoggans looked to fast for us! Email them and they will arrange a tour to suit you. You will love it.

Hi athurstance,

If there's a shuttle bus at the pier, by all means take it, as it usually stops close to the cable car station. You can also take a taxi or walk.

The walk from Monte to the town centre is a longish one, about 45 minutes to 1 hour and a good part of it is downhill. Then it's 30 to 40 minutes to walk from the centre to the pier.

One can say Monte is, all of it, a garden by itself with greenery and flowers all over the place. Then there's the Municipal Gardens, which you can visit for free and the private Monte Palace Tropical Gardens (10 EUR per person entry fee).

And Our Lady of Monte's Church, Madeira's Patron Saint, is well worth a visit.

The Toboggan ride is another one of Monte's attractions (15 EUR per person). You'll sit on a two seat kind of wicker sledge and you'll be pushed down, along a 2km down hill road, by two well trained men.

If you decide to take the Toboggan ride and then walk to town, it'll be something like 30 to 45 minutes.

Funchal centre is also worth browsing around - there's gardens, churches, wine lodges, restaurants, shops. Try not to miss the Market, it's not far from the Cable car station.

Oh, and a cable car ride is 10 EUR per person one way and 15 EUR round trip.

Hi Biaria,

We will be there March (2013) lol!!

We will have our two daughters with us who will be 5 and 3, any recommendations? Looking at visiting the Parque de Santa Catarina but not sure what else to do

Regards

Emma

Hello Emma,

Parque de Santa Catarina is a good place for you to spend some time with your children.

Maybe they'll find a visit to the market, an interesting and colourful experience.

Not too far from the market is Madeira Story Centre, which your 5 year old may enjoy: http://www.storycentre.com/

Going to the Marina and seeing at all those docked boats, my attract your children's attention. From Parque de Santa Catarina to the Marina it's an easy walk.

Archived