Article about Pacific Dawn refurbishment (some new info)

Royalty X

This was posted on e-travelblackboard.com...

A NEW DAWN FOR P&O

A mere two years after her last multi-million dollar refurbishment, P&O’s Queensland based Pacific Dawn, will undergo another major revamp.

The company’s near 55,000 Facebook fans were called upon to share their desired additions to the ship with the top two suggestions being a giant

on-deck LED screen like sisters Pacific Pearl and Pacific Jewel and self service kiosks to check folios.

“We are pleased to announce that both of these things will be implemented and the kiosks are actually being rolled out across the fleet so guests can easily check their folios,” Carnival Australia vice president of hotel operations Sture Myrmell told agents at the company’s Partnership Summit last month.

Scheduled for dry dock in April this year, the 2,020-passenger ship will also boast new furnishings, bedding and carpets in her 50 suites and mini-suites and will offer an array of interconnecting cabins at a range of price points ideal for families and groups.

The ‘Bengal Bar’ will become the ‘Orient Pub’, similar to the venue featured onboard Pacific Pearl, complete with sporting memorabilia and a range of draft beers and ciders with the ‘Show Lounge’ also receiving a makeover including new carpeting, upholstery, wall coverings and a new LED screen wall.

A refurbishment of the buffet will see a new colour scheme and furniture along with a shake-up of the flow to make the dining experience smoother for passengers, while the Pan-Asian restaurant ‘La Luna’ will introduce screens to create a more intimate atmosphere.

New Zealand Natural Ice Cream will be rolled out on all ships across the fleet starting with Pacific Dawn,offering 16 flavours of ice cream along with an array of shakes and the ‘Baccus Bar’ will transform into the ‘Mix Cocktail Bar’.

Passengers can also look forward to a new line up of comedy talent including Tom Gleeson, Mikey Robbins and Cal Wilson.

“With more than 400 stand-up comedy performances per year across our fleet, we definitely offer one of the largest selections of laughs in Australia,” Mr Myrmell said.

These pics were posted too...

126975.jpg

126975a.jpg126975b.jpg126975c.jpg

I think it's very interesting that they're going to put the NZ Natural Icecream stores on board. I know Pacific Sun had one but they never put them on the Dawn, Jewel or Pearl. I'm glad to see they'll be standard across the fleet through. I wonder where they'll be onboard. The only place I reckon they could put one on the Pearl is where "The Cafe" currently is on deck 12 (you can already get ice creams from there).

I for one am proud to say we are in a suite on the first cruise after the refit.and will say we will dont be dinning at the buffet

I thought you would be getting all excited about your New Zealand Cruise on Sun Princess next month. Have you got a suite on that cruise. I would love to meet you at the meet and greet. I see you joined the roll call but have been conspicuous by your silence. Come and join in we are a friendly bunch.:D

Good idea Thied,

Can't go mixing with the "housos":rolleyes:

We do not eat at the buffet's becuse too many people do not wash there hands before handling the food.

I haven't seen passengers handling the food. I assume the staff all know correct food-handling procedures, both in the buffet and the main kitchens.
how many use tongs to pick up fruit?

how many use tongs to pick up toast?

how many use tongs to pick up butter?

how many use tongs to pick up yogot?

I could name it all, but even if u do use tongs, how many use the hand cleaner at start of food? then while waiting to get to the food they touch there hair, bums, hand rails, and anything else around them, then pick up and use the tongs and just add to all the gems they pick up after washing there hands at the start is now on the tongs which they have just put back into the food tray., im sorry i for one like to have the least amount of people touching what i eat thank you.

What happens when people start getting sick? the first thing they do is stop people from serving them selvs.

One more discusting thing is people that laod there plates up with as much food as posible and then eat a little of it and get up and walk away. what a waste.

I could name it all, but even if u do use tongs, how many use the hand cleaner at start of food? then while waiting to get to the food they touch there hair, bums, hand rails, and anything else around them, then pick up and use the tongs and just add to all the gems they pick up after washing there hands at the start is now on the tongs which they have just put back into the food tray., im sorry i for one like to have the least amount of people touching what i eat thank you.

What happens when people start getting sick? the first thing they do is stop people from serving them selvs.

One more discusting thing is people that laod there plates up with as much food as posible and then eat a little of it and get up and walk away. what a waste.

I agree with some of the things you say. However, there are tongs to pick up toast and I have seen tongs beside the butter. I wouldn't try up pick up fruit with tongs or it is likely the item would end up on the floor.:)

Hand cleaner - Often there is a staff member there gently reminding people to use this, although it doesn't stop norovirus - only thorough hand-washing does that. Most of us do that (washing & sanitising), and whether you are in the buffet or the dining room, you have to put your hands on your chair to move it out and then pull it in as you are sitting down.

Yes - if there are a of cases of noro people can no longer serve themselves, but they also remove the salt shakers, the drinks menus from the bars and anything else multiple people touch. I notice however, that they still hand out pencils at trivia!

In the buffet, I haven't seen much 'load the plate then leave it' happening, although I am sure it does, and that isn't only on a ship.

We nearly always eat in the dining room because we like the leisurely service and really enjoy meeting other people, particularly on a long cruise. I realise that for yourself, traveling with young children, that this is a bit more difficult.

They probably use their hands a lot in the the kitchens for the dining room, you just don't see it. !!
that may be, but at least I do not have to watch or see it.

Aus Traveller, I agree with your thoughts. We have eaten some meals at the buffet on every cruise - I haven't seen anyone do anything disgusting, so far. I always take plates and food from the back, with tongs of course - and like the buffet for some meals so that I can take small helpings and lots of salad. Not once have either of us been sick. (It goes without saying we always use the hand cleanser.) I am more worried about touching hand rails and door handles especially in the public restrooms and like the way P&O either leave the main door open or provide paper towels near the door so you can use paper to open the door.

Having said that I hope I don't catch anything next time. :D:D:D But you take risks eating anything you haven't made yourself - who knows what goes on in kitchens anywhere? Life is a gamble. :eek:

Aus Traveller, I agree with your thoughts. We have eaten some meals at the buffet on every cruise - I haven't seen anyone do anything disgusting, so far. I always take plates and food from the back, with tongs of course - and like the buffet for some meals so that I can take small helpings and lots of salad. Not once have either of us been sick. (It goes without saying we always use the hand cleanser.) I am more worried about touching hand rails and door handles especially in the public restrooms and like the way P&O either leave the main door open or provide paper towels near the door so you can use paper to open the door.

Having said that I hope I don't catch anything next time. :D:D:D But you take risks eating anything you haven't made yourself - who knows what goes on in kitchens anywhere? Life is a gamble. :eek:

The only time I had a problem was with half-cold under-cooked (pink in the middle) hamburger in the dining room. :( I am now cautious on that one.

The only time I had a problem was with half-cold under-cooked (pink in the middle) hamburger in the dining room. :( I am now cautious on that one.
Really!? :eek: That's disappointing. :( Especially seeing as the burger in the MDR was one of my favourites when I was on the Pearl.

We always use the hand sanitiser and the tongs, etc in the buffet and have never had any dramas either.

"Fear is the tax that conscience pays to guilt." George Sewell

What's yogot?

Recently on Ruby Princess and Coral Princess, they had the dispenser at Horizon Court and MDR's. Many pax, had to be Americans (because 90% of pax were Americans) did not use the hygiene creme dispenser even with a staff member there, who did zilch. Even saw pax jumping the rope line at entrance to HC to avoid the hygeine creme dispenser, again staff did zilch. Scary.

So one can only imagine what goes on in the galley with food preparation. Actually I did the Galley tour on both Coral and Ruby and saw many 'bare hands' in the food prep area, not good !

I for one am proud to say we are in a suite on the first cruise after the refit.and will say we will dont be dinning at the buffet

In a SUITE again ? Did you win the Lotto again Thied? Lucky B, we travel obstructed view cabins, love the big orange life boat as a neighbour. LOL.

I don't normally annoy Thied, but this time I could not help myself. LOL.

Archived