Pre-Boarding Accomodations

ednria

As our sailing quickly approaches, (tho, not quick enough) I am now looking for a place to stay in Brooklyn the night before our EB TA.

I have tentatively looked at the Brooklyn Motor Court, quite convenient (about 2 blocks from dock entrance), but don't know anything about them. Any one familiar with the establishment, or have any other suggestions/recommendations?

Thank you for any feedback,

Ed an Maria

It's not as close as the Brooklyn Motor Court, but before and after our October TA we stayed at the Super 8 at 267 3rd Ave in Brooklyn (Park Slope). Maybe a $10 car fare to Red Hook pier.

http://www.super8.com/hotels/new-york/brooklyn/super-8-brooklyn-park-slope-hotel/hotel-overview

The Super 8 is a year or two old, clean (but very compact). We paid $130-150/night. There's a small parking lot adjacent to the hotel if you're driving.

As our sailing quickly approaches, (tho, not quick enough) I am now looking for a place to stay in Brooklyn the night before our EB TA. I have tentatively looked at the Brooklyn Motor Court, quite convenient (about 2 blocks from dock entrance), but don't know anything about them. Any one familiar with the establishment, or have any other suggestions/recommendations? Thank you for any feedback, Ed an Maria

We always stay at the Brooklyn Marriott. Within walking distance: many good restaurants on Montague St...Brooklyn Heights promenade (especially in August), and new riverside park facing across water to lower Manhattan...and the famous River Cafe, under the Brooklyn Bridge (dinner pricey, but great spot w/view for cocktails). Always concerts along the waterfront in August.

Cheers, have a great crossing....

B&B :cool:

As our sailing quickly approaches, (tho, not quick enough) I have tentatively looked at the Brooklyn Motor Court, quite convenient (about 2 blocks from dock entrance), but don't know anything about them. Any one familiar with the establishment, or have any other suggestions/recommendations?

We have stayed there 3 times prior to a QM2 cruise. It is relatively inexpensive for NY standards and we found it to be clean. The beds were comfortable but the pillows hard. The rooms were a bit cramped but everything worked well. There are "authentic NY" places to eat not far from the hotel. A plus is that we have always walked to the ship in the morning.

In the same price range is the Comfort Inn Sunset Park/Park Slope which has recently opened and is a little bit closer to the cruise terminal. We haven't stayed there but it is a quieter location.

As our sailing quickly approaches, (tho, not quick enough) I am now looking for a place to stay in Brooklyn the night before our EB TA.

I have tentatively looked at the Brooklyn Motor Court, quite convenient (about 2 blocks from dock entrance), but don't know anything about them. Any one familiar with the establishment, or have any other suggestions/recommendations?

Thank you for any feedback,

Ed an Maria

For what it's worth: I've only seen the Brooklyn Motor Inn (I'm pretty sure this is the one you mean--not Brooklyn Motor Court) from the outside, several times, en route to and from the Red Hook Cruise Terminal. It might be okay; but I have to tell you that it does not look like a place where I would want to stay. For one thing, it's not located in the greatest area--it's right up against the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, a busy highway; the surroundings look rather forlorn, and there's nothing of interest in the immediate vicinity, other than the cruise terminal itself. (It's a long two blocks.)

I'm generally a bargain-hunter, but this is one case where I'd gladly spend the extra money to stay at the Brooklyn Marriott. As Adrian Monk would say, You'll thank me later.

We have stayed there 3 times prior to a QM2 cruise. It is relatively inexpensive for NY standards and we found it to be clean. The beds were comfortable but the pillows hard. The rooms were a bit cramped but everything worked well. There are "authentic NY" places to eat not far from the hotel. A plus is that we have always walked to the ship in the morning.

In the same price range is the Comfort Inn Sunset Park/Park Slope which has recently opened and is a little bit closer to the cruise terminal. We haven't stayed there but it is a quieter location.

As ex-pat Tacomans, this looks like advice we can rely on (not to imply that other advice will be ignored, but hometown folks do carry weight).

Seriously, I appreciate the responses, and will use them as a starting point for reaching a decision.

Being a resident in Brooklyn, I do agree that the Brooklyn Motor Court is not in the best of neighborhoods. Just behind the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

As one that knows the area and lives in Brooklyn, I would not personally walk around that area after dark. There is really no place to walk unless you take a taxi or local car service to more interesting places in Brooklyn Heights or more residenial areas like Court or Smith Streets.

They have well developed over the years to Yuppie Cafes, Restaurants and Shoppes. Also well populated.

I have known people that have stayed there before a cruise and were satisfied. There is really not the best of places to go in the morning to go for breakfast or a meal except where the workers of the local piers favor. Most likely Columbia Street.

Brooklyn Heights is the most popular area. With loads of restaurants and shopping along Court Street and Montague Street. Near there is the Brooklyn Marriott.

There are also many hotels, motor courts and motels like Holiday Inn Express as any example popping up in South Brooklyn like Fourth Avenue.

The plan for the future is to well develop that area near the pier with many more location for lodging and eating.

If you are a member of AAA, their rep's would help you the most.

As a Cunard Traveler and living in Brooklyn, we fortunately are only a 15 minutes away from the pier and stones throw away from getting to the pier.

Hope this helps you in some way.

Archived