Any recommendation on a cheap camera for underwater pics?

BenTheMan

Hello everyone,

we are thinking about booking a snorkeling trip while on our carribbean cruise. Are there any cheap options to snap some pictures while doing so? Don't want to buy something expensive, as this will most likely be our only time snorkeling for a while.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased an Olympus TOUGH 6000 years ago for this purpose. I think I paid maybe ~$150 for it. Well worth the money. Does exactly what I need it to and quite good photos for a quick point and shoot. this camera is very durable. Of course, there are newer upgraded models to this. Check them out. I dont think you will be disappointed.

Good luck!

There is always disposable film, develop the film and get a disc burned. Add up say the cost of camera and a couple rows of film and starts looking close to cheap digital.

There are a lot of digital options from refurb'd on ebay to brand new. Here is a review of the latest: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311waterproofcompactgrouptest/

Another option is to purchase a "cheap" plastic thing like a aquapac

Hello everyone,

we are thinking about booking a snorkeling trip while on our carribbean cruise. Are there any cheap options to snap some pictures while doing so? Don't want to buy something expensive, as this will most likely be our only time snorkeling for a while.

Thanks in advance

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance

I have a Fujifilm finepix XP. I think my husband paid $119 for it a year ago. I am sure it must be cheaper now, new models are out. It can take hi def digital video and video at a smaller resolution . The underwater sound is good too. I really like it! :) It was easy to figure out how to run it and the different settings are dummied up for me (it has a setting for beach, party, landscape, etc, many more settings also) My only complaint, it that it is small. But most people wouldn't call that a complaint.

cheap = $????

Please define what your cheap figure is. Is cheap somthing made to fail or fall apart or just look lousey? In that case how cheap do you want it to look?

I find the Nikon AW100 to be great for bad weather, cold, underwater, takes a licking and keeps on clicking... under 3bills.

framer

I've been searching the last few weeks to upgrade my 6 year old Canon SD630.

Right now the Nikon AW100 is at the top of my list as I want a decent P&S that can take pictures on dry land and while snorkeling.

Two other cameras I'm seriously considering are the Panasonic TS3 and Sony CyberShot TX10.

Look at Intova. I just won their more expensive camera from a contest on their FB page. Check it out they are running another contest right now. But you can get the low end model for very cheap - less than $100 on amazon. That one wasn't really what I wanted since it was for my husband for diving. But from what I have heard for snorkeling for some memories it is fine...

Check them out. Intova.net or on Facebook

I have a cheap Aquapac pouch for a compact camera. I used it at Rottnest island in Western Australia and it worked a treat. Here's their website: http://store.aquapac.net/

We have used those too, they work great! I found them a bit clumsey, but my husband did much better than me. Now that we have underwater cameras, we use them to hold $$ and anything else we don't want to wander while we snorkel. :)

I've been doing some research about waterproof cameras that I could take on my caribbean cruise. At first, I wanted something under $100 because I have never needed a waterproof camera before but all the reviews I read for the ones under $100 didn't seem like they were that great.

So then I started reading reviews about the top end waterproof cameras and ended up focusing on Canon, Sony, Pentax, and Panasonic. Here's a link that reviews 6 of the top end point and shoot waterproof cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311waterproofcompactgrouptest/

Based on a ton of reviews I read about the 4 brands, I narrowed it down to Sony because it takes great underwater pictures, has HD video, and takes great indoor and outdoor pictures. I ended up buying the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-TX5 for $180, brand new and found it on ebay. There's a newer waterproof cybershot, the TX10 but from what I've read, you really don't need 16.2 MP unless you plan on printing posters of your pictures and it takes longer to copy that size of a picture onto your memory card so lag in between taking pictures is longer. And, since I already have a pretty decent digital camera that I still plan on keeping, I figured I didn't need to spend $300 on another one.

Bottom line is, you get what you pay for! Good luck in your waterproof camera search and have fun on your cruise! :)

I have a Kodak Easy Share 123 that I bought for about $60. Shoots great underwater images and video to boot.

Have you had any problems with water getting inside of the camera? i know it's waterproof, but have heard that some waterproof cameras have had issues when they are submerged. Also what are the images like when not underwater?

We have used those too, they work great! I found them a bit clumsey, but my husband did much better than me. Now that we have underwater cameras, we use them to hold $$ and anything else we don't want to wander while we snorkel. :)

I have a question about the aquapacks. How much time is involved in taking the camera out of the aquapack? Just wondering if it is easy to take out and put back in when not in the water. Does it seem to wear out if opened frequently?

I have an Olympus Stylus 760 (?) that is waterproof, shockproof and freeze proof. anyway I've had the camera approx 3 years and used it on 3 cruises. This past Dec after using the camera in the water at Cozumel I dropped the camera in the sand while walking back to my seat. Now the camera will not turn on. I was able to get the pictures off the xd card but now my camera is useless. :( It's out of warranty and I'm sure it would be just as cheap to buy a new one as it would be to ship this one off for repairs. If it can even be repaired.

So...my question is...do I buy another Olympus and hope I don't run across the same issue or should I try a different hopefully better brand??? :confused:

I have a question about the aquapacks. How much time is involved in taking the camera out of the aquapack? Just wondering if it is easy to take out and put back in when not in the water. Does it seem to wear out if opened frequently?

I had a DiCaPac (instead of aquapac) and it held up very well. It did not take long to take it in and out and the lens cover part could be unscrewed if you wanted to leave it in the pac and just take the cover off. I found the quality of the pictures to be pretty good, but not as good as the cameras specifically designed for underwater use.

Every now and then, the camera would shift around in the case, and part of the picture would be obstructed by the lens cover. The one thing I never worried about is leakage though. If used properly, the bag was watertight.

I lost it on one of my last trips so I went ahead a splurged on a new waterproof camera, but for less than $40, it was way better than using the cheapy waterproof disposable cameras. I got a few years out of it with no sign of wear before I lost it. It's also great in snow and sand to protect the camera.

pics with Sony Cybershot in Dicapac case:

2899781520104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

2418789810104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

this one shows the obstruction when the camera was centered in the case and it had an obvious water droplet on the lens (out of the water):

2599218710104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

sarapdot

I had the same issue with my Olympus. 3 yrs, 3 cruises. My daughter used the camera and dropped it. Now it will not turn on.

Just brought the camera in to a local camera store to see if it can be repaired.

I will report back.

Hey Great, thanks! They have an Olympus at sams for $150. Contemplating

• 2 months later...
This past Dec after using the camera in the water at Cozumel I dropped the camera in the sand while walking back to my seat. Now the camera will not turn on. I was able to get the pictures off the xd card but now my camera is useless. :(

So...my question is...do I buy another Olympus and hope I don't run across the same issue or should I try a different hopefully better brand??? :confused:

I too had an Olympus Tough. Shutter door wouldn't open and I think it was because I got a grain of something stuck in it. Sounds like that might have been your problem. Olympus was able to fix it. However, the versions they have now have a clear window for the shutter, so no worries about sand.

Looking right now at the Nikon AW100. I have the Olympus Tough 8000, Pentax W90 and now trying a third. Had issues with both the Olympus and Pentax where they bombed out when I needed them most. :mad:

Have a cruise April 30th, and then two weeks in Hawaii so need a good underwater camera. Hopefully 3rd time's the charm.

I found this link helpful: http://www.gearbundles.com/blog/Top-10-Waterproof-Cameras-and-Accessories

I too had an Olympus Tough. Shutter door wouldn't open and I think it was because I got a grain of something stuck in it. Sounds like that might have been your problem. Olympus was able to fix it. However, the versions they have now have a clear window for the shutter, so no worries about sand.

Looking right now at the Nikon AW100. I have the Olympus Tough 8000, Pentax W90 and now trying a third. Had issues with both the Olympus and Pentax where they bombed out when I needed them most. :mad:

Have a cruise April 30th, and then two weeks in Hawaii so need a good underwater camera. Hopefully 3rd time's the charm.

I found this link helpful: http://www.gearbundles.com/blog/Top-10-Waterproof-Cameras-and-Accessories

So you had trouble with the Pentax too? That is the one I was really wanting. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

had trouble with the Pentax too? That is the one I was really wanting

Yes, start of our second week in Fiji. Was snorkeling and LCD screen started fogging up. Eventually camera died all together. Pentax did replace it, but too little too late. On an ironic note, I had bought the Pentax just in case the Olympus Tough didn't work, and the Olympus is the one I ended up using for the end of the trip. :p But Pentax does have awesome video. Here's some I shot snorkeling in Belize.

But hey, its the luck of the draw. You read so many reviews where cameras failed for some people, and others loved it. :rolleyes:

Archived