Price change on our cruise - what do do?

BenTheMan

Hello to all,

I got a question, as I just checked the Celebrity Website and saw that our cabin is now about 200,- EUR (about 260,- US$) cheaper than when we booked it last January.

We have paid our TA here in Germany 10% of the total amount and the rest of the payment will be due latest 30 days before the sailing. I am not sure if proceedings will be the same as with TAs in the US or UK, but would like to get your opinions on how you would handle this situation? What is Celebrity's process for handling this?

I am well aware, having worked in the hospitality industry for more than a decade, that some hotels will award you a lesser price if a price change occured and you approach them.

I also understand that they will reduce the price for a room when a cruise is not booked completely and they need to fill up the rooms. Of course giving us a lesser price will not help them in fulfilling their goal but rather reducing their revenue. So I guess we will have to call it bad luck, but asking the pros on this board surely can't hurt.

Hello to all,

I got a question, as I just checked the Celebrity Website and saw that our cabin is now about 200,- EUR (about 260,- US$) cheaper than when we booked it last January.

We have paid our TA here in Germany 10% of the total amount and the rest of the payment will be due latest 30 days before the sailing. I am not sure if proceedings will be the same as with TAs in the US or UK, but would like to get your opinions on how you would handle this situation? What is Celebrity's process for handling this?

I am well aware, having worked in the hospitality industry for more than a decade, that some hotels will award you a lesser price if a price change occured and you approach them.

I also understand that they will reduce the price for a room when a cruise is not booked completely and they need to fill up the rooms. Of course giving us a lesser price will not help them in fulfilling their goal but rather reducing their revenue. So I guess we will have to call it bad luck, but asking the pros on this board surely can't hurt.

Generally speaking, if a price drop occurs before your paid in full date, you should be able to get the reduction.

That said, you need to look at the new prices and see if it indicates "new bookings only". If so, the only way to get the lesser price would be to cancel your current booking and make a new one. If you are past your penalty date, this probably will not be a good option. Plus, you might lose the room you have (if you picked a specific one).

Our upcoming cruise took a substantial price dip about 3 weeks after we booked it. I went to our TA with the info and she called up the cruiselines and they were able to just change our reservation.

:)

Just checked my contract, if I canceled the cruise in order to rebook it, I would have to pay an 10% penalty, which would be around the same amount that we would save when the lower price would be granted. So that wouldn't be of any use.

these price drops are only specific to usa passengers, the rest of the cruise world just has to put up with the price they paid ,harsh but true in afraid ,we see it all the time on princess side of things.

Interesting information. It seemed to me that the way the TAs handle things in the US are slightly different to the way it's done here in Germany, judging from the posting I have read on this board at least. Probably different regulations that are in place.

Nevertheless, I have dropped an email to my TA to check of there is something she could do for us. Who knows? The worst thing that could happen is that she will tell us that everything will remain the way it is.

I would also double check on your due date for final payment. 30 days out sound way too generous. We just had to make final payment on a Celebrity cruise still 73 days away.

Double checked my contract once again, it says final payment is due latest 30 days before the sailing. Maybe another difference between US and German/European policies.

OK, here is what happened:

I compared the prices online, with the ones in our booking confirmation from the TA. What did I forget? We pre-paid the gratuities! So it is still the same price at it was about a year ago, when we made the booking.

However, I have learned from our TA, that if we see a price drop until 60 days before the sailing, the new price would be given to us.

Archived