Games

We will do the Circumnavigation of Australia on the Dawn Princess with lots of sea days in March/April 2012.

My husband plays bridge. Is this a popular game on an Australian ship?

Are there any other popular games or should I bring lots of books? I am not partial to gambling, bingo and trivia. I usually read and do the crafts on sea days, but a game like dominoes would be a nice diversion.

The library on the Grand Princess was a sad affair compared to HAL and Oceania. I hope that the Dawn Princess has a good selection of Australian themed books.

There is usually a bridge group advertised in the Princess patter. It is "unhosted" but Princess provide cards, pencils and pads and the room. In the Library you will find boxes of the usual games, including draughts and scrabble. They also provide daily Soduku and other paper based games for the addicted. I usually take one or two paperbacks I really want to read. This is in case I miss out on finding something in the Library - reasonably well stocked but there is only a small Australiana section. The guide and travel books for destinations en route disappear on the first day so take your own if you like to read up on the sea days early in the cruise. If you want the pick of titles make the library one of your first calls. Not as good as the library on the Statendam. The borrowing system is a bit hit and miss, sometimes the "honour" system and sometimes someone is there to record what you take.

Colleen

On longer cruises such as this there is usually a Bridge Director who teaches bridge and who also hosts games for experienced players.

The library has mainly American books (novels) from when the ship was based there, although the 'swap' section will have Australian books that passengers put in.

There is quite a selection of games available.

We will do the Circumnavigation of Australia on the Dawn Princess with lots of sea days in March/April 2012.....

The library on the Grand Princess was a sad affair compared to HAL and Oceania. I hope that the Dawn Princess has a good selection of Australian themed books.

If you've ever considered a Kindle or similar device, now is the time. You can load it up with all the books you could possibly read before leaving home and not worry about what the library lacks. One suggestion - "In a Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson. It's hilarious, plus informative!

If you've ever considered a Kindle or similar device, now is the time. You can load it up with all the books you could possibly read before leaving home and not worry about what the library lacks. One suggestion - "In a Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson. It's hilarious, plus informative!
I believe Tim Winton and Bryce Courtenay's books are very Australian themed as well. :)

Thank you Kartgv just the excuse I needed for a pre cruise present to myself. I much envied my son's I pad at Christmas but could not think of a good reason - now I have one, cutting down on packing and clutter.

Colleen

Archived