Montego Bay

ContingentSea

We are not beach people so we took a tour of Rose Hall, a haunted plantation. Part of the tour was a stop at The Shops at Rose Hall, which is a nice shopping area. Very few stores but more upscale than the usual touristy spots near the ship.

We have a diverse crowd. Is Dunn River Falls all that? It seems to take up the whole excursion time. Some have suggested an all inclusive resort, but 7 hours at a beach seems too long for me. Is there nice (safe) shopping for the girls in town, where the guys can hang out at the local bars?

Sunset Beach Resort also has a pool and water park, and I believe that they may have snorkeling excursions and such that leave from there. I don't know about the shopping, but I know there is a tour thru Carnival (or used to be) that takes you to some places to shop.

We did Mayfield falls when we went to Mo Bay It was actually pretty cool and easier hike than Dunns and alot less crowded. I still think Dunns is nicer but its all the way over near Ochi

It was a heck of a drive getting there thou on one way back roads:eek:

We went to Montego Bay last year but hired a private tour guide to take us to Ocho Rios, to Dunns River Falls. We had never been before so to me it was something I wanted to see for myself. It wasn't terribly crowded and it was beautiful!!! We arranged everything with our driver and all went smoothy! He was highly recommended on the boards...but can't seem to recall the name for some reason! lol After the falls, we drove through Fern Gulley and then had the driver take us to a place that he would like to eat...ended up at Scotchies (pretty sure that was the name) and it was wonderful!

If I went again, I would probably choose a beach resort but for my first time in Jamaica...I just wanted to see and do all the cool stuff!! :D

• 3 weeks later...
We are not beach people so we took a tour of Rose Hall, a haunted plantation. Part of the tour was a stop at The Shops at Rose Hall, which is a nice shopping area. Very few stores but more upscale than the usual touristy spots near the ship.

We are going to MoBay on the Valor in Novemeber and wanna go to Rose Hall too...How did you do it? on your own or through a group? We arent sure which way to go about getting around MoBAy. Renting a taxi or organizing a tour since I think we wanna do Rose Hall, some shopping and stopping at Margaritaville..or maybe doing the Mayfield Falls...they sound amazing. Please let me know what you did. Thanks!

We are taking a lazy cruise over to Doctor's Cave Beach with these folks http://www.jamaicawatersports.com/cruise.htm - the bottom offering, not the top. The people I have spoken to seem to be great and I have read good reviews. They leave from the dock and return you there.

We are doing this same excursion next week. I too was struggling on what to do in MoBay and this seemed perfect.

Sunset Beach Resort also has a pool and water park, and I believe that they may have snorkeling excursions and such that leave from there. I don't know about the shopping, but I know there is a tour thru Carnival (or used to be) that takes you to some places to shop.

My wife and I are doing this for our excursion Feb. 15th. Hopefully this will be fun. Haven't heard any negative comments on it.

:)

Looking for advise on shore excursions for Jamaica, Montego Bay. :confused:

Our favorite Mobay excursion is the Catamaran to Doctor’s Cave Beach - I have booked this excursion twice: The first being when hubby and I cruised in July for our 35 wedding anniversary . It is like 2 excursions in one in that they take you for a ride on a catamaran called the Freestyle. They take you snorkling first. If you don't want to snorkle, you can just hang out in the water holding on to this big water ring thing. I have to say It was the most fun I have ever had snorkling. At 55yo, Hubby just not that interested in snorkling very long, he preferred hanging out on the catamaran and drinking free rum punch :D You can find them at: http://jamaicawatersports.com/cruise.htm The Wet N Wild goes to Margueritaville and the SAIL SNORKEL Doctors Cave BEACH goes on the several yards to the beach. The cost is only $35/person and they pick you up in the catamaran right at the pier!! You get to sail, snorkle, swim, go to Margaritaville or beach. If you decide to do this excursion, I found it easier to email Denise to make your reservation at dptgonefishing@hotmail.com . I booked this excursion again when My sister and I cruised back in November. Unfortunately, the wind was really high - The Magic was late even being able to dock and all these type excursions were canceled, including us. We found this out when we walked down to where the catamaran was parked. They invited us onto the boat and gave us rum punch anyway. They were so nice and apologetic, even though it was in no way their fault - can't control the weather :) . It was the same people and they remembered me from 2 months earlier. Sister and I talked the deckhand into taking us into town to eat at a local place - it was wonderful!! He then took us shopping to a big flea market type place - we bought lots of handmade baskets and wooden carvings and other stuff - all verrrry reasonable! We asked him to then take us to a local free beach where the locals swim, and he did. Boy was that fun and oh so beautiful! Our deckhand (unfortunately, I just cannot remember his name at this time) never charged us for taking us all over town for the day, but of course, we paid him well. The Jamaican people were all so very friendly and helpful and very intertaining. By the way, all we had to do was to email Denise when we got home to request our refund for the excursion and it was done immediately. I highly recommend this tour, it has something for everyone and it wasn't crowded like a Carnival tour so you got extra and immediate attention.

Archived