How Early to Reboard After Port?

Teacher_91

Check out this Youtube video to see if they will leave you on the dock.

OH WOW! That sucks, I wonder which cruise line this was...

The only reason I say this is because on our last Princess cruise, we asked our waitress this question (she had been working for Princess for 6 years) and she said the cruise line is VERY reluctant to leave any passengers behind until they figure out what happened to them. They will leave employees behind but are reluctant to leave passengers. She said during her employment she has not seen once late passengers being left on the dock...

But definitely better safe than sorry so be on time! :)

The only reason I say this is because on our last Princess cruise, we asked our waitress this question (she had been working for Princess for 6 years) and she said the cruise line is VERY reluctant to leave any passengers behind until they figure out what happened to them. They will leave employees behind but are reluctant to leave passengers. She said during her employment she has not seen once late passengers being left on the dock...

But definitely better safe than sorry so be on time! :)

This bring up another 'curious' question... does Princess keep a 'check-list' or 'sign-in/out' sheet of each passenger who gets off the ship? Otherwise, how would they even know if you were missing? :rolleyes:

This bring up another 'curious' question... does Princess keep a 'check-list' or 'sign-in/out' sheet of each passenger who gets off the ship? Otherwise, how would they even know if you were missing? :rolleyes:

Yes, they scan your cruise card each time you disembark and embark back on the ship hence they know if you are on or off the ship...

Carnival.

I've been on quite a few cruises where passengers were left behind. It definitely does happen. I remember one cruise where the Port Lecturer teasingly told passengers to be sure to bring a camera so they could take pictures of the ship leaving the dock. Sure 'nuff, the next day, two couples had to make their way overnight from Barcelona to Cannes. Another time, I was on a full transit Panama Canal cruise and at the last port before four sea days to Acapulco and disembarkation, two couples went to the beach on their own and missed the ship. I've seen people who missed the ship pay to catch the pilot boat that picks up the pilot after sailing; they had to jump from the pilot boat onto the ship. Other times, I've seen them have to climb a rope ladder from a small boat they quickly chartered.

Missing the ship can certainly happen and you don't want to do it in Alaska or HI due to the PVSA.

The Mr. & I are sailing on the Princess STAR to Alaska in July 2012. We will be in Juneau from 2:00 to 10:00 p.m. I had a whale watch tour with Harv & Marv scheduled for 2:30, but am leery of booking that time because prior to that we are doing the Tracy Arm Fjords Glacier Explorer with Princess from 8:00 to 2:00. Harv & Marv have suggested we change our whale watch to 5:30 and they promise to have us back to the ship by 9:20. They have ASSURED me that there will be NO PROBLEM and they will get us back to the ship before it sails. Yet I'm still nervous. :confused: Should I be? As much as we want to do the whale watch, it certainly won't be worth it if we miss the ship! I'm holding off paying for this excursion, because I'm just so unsure.... All insight, comments, and tips are welcome!

Hi there,

We have the Star booked in August. I wouldn't chance it whatsoever - timing is way too close! What would happen if there was a problem on the highway or something nearby (i.e., if you have to take a bus to get to the whale watching excursion on another side of the port)? Then you'd be out of luck for sure - private tour or not, ships will not wait! I always say to my family - if the ship needs you back by 9:30, be back 30 minutes at the latest prior to that.

Hi there,

We have the Star booked in August. I wouldn't chance it whatsoever - timing is way too close! What would happen if there was a problem on the highway or something nearby (i.e., if you have to take a bus to get to the whale watching excursion on another side of the port)? Then you'd be out of luck for sure - private tour or not, ships will not wait! I always say to my family - if the ship needs you back by 9:30, be back 30 minutes at the latest prior to that.

The Mr. & I have come to that conclusion CruiseLover. We don't want to risk missing the boat - even though we REALLY want to do a whale watch with Harv & Marv. Talk about ruin your day & your cruise! :cool:

I'm in the process of finding alternatives. I've sent an inquiry to Orca, but no one has responded. Maybe the 'fates' are trying to 'tell me something'! LOL!

They can.

They will.

They have.

Agreed. Totally. Seen it happen.

Teacher 91 - If you don't mind me adding: when you get a quote from Orca Enterprises, make sure you tell them you'll be on the Star Princess, not the Princess Star. It'll help avoid any confusion since there are quite a few ships named the "Star". Whatever company you go with, it sounds like a great time!

Yes, they scan your cruise card each time you disembark and embark back on the ship hence they know if you are on or off the ship...

When you hear those announcements near departure time from the Purser's desk asking various passengers to contact the Purser's desk, it is because their cruise cards have not been scanned to show they are back on the ship.

Sometimes it is because they are still on shore. Sometimes it is because somehow their cruise cards were not scanned when they reboarded.

Agreed. Totally. Seen it happen.

Teacher 91 - If you don't mind me adding: when you get a quote from Orca Enterprises, make sure you tell them you'll be on the Star Princess, not the Princess Star. It'll help avoid any confusion since there are quite a few ships named the "Star". Whatever company you go with, it sounds like a great time!

No, I don't mind you adding @ all. :) In fact, I welcome the advice and the correction. I'm here to learn! Thank you!

When you hear those announcements near departure time from the Purser's desk asking various passengers to contact the Purser's desk, it is because their cruise cards have not been scanned to show they are back on the ship.

Sometimes it is because they are still on shore. Sometimes it is because somehow their cruise cards were not scanned when they reboarded.

O-Kay! Good to know! :) If for some reason we get called to the Purser's desk we won't think we are in 'trouble' either! LOL! :D

Archived