Car Rental - Anchorage Airport

CMcG

In searching for a 3 day car rental for late May/early June with pickup & drop off at Anchorage Airport - I find Dollar, Thrifty & Enterprise. Prices for Enterprise are about 3 times the other two - any particular reason for price difference? Is there any reason to choose or avoid any of the three?

I know I can probably do better going off property but because of our schedule it is so much easier that I'm willing to pay the price.

Appreciate any & all advice

Cheryl

Alaska car rentals are cheapest a year in advance. One way to save money is to book off airport. As an example, when we get off the ship in Whittier we will take the Princess transfer to downtown Anchorage. Enterprise will pick us up at the drop off spot and then we will drop the car off at the end of our trip at another Enterprise off-airport location and then take a 5 minute cab ride to the airport. This saves a lot of money, even with the cab, because Airport locations charge hefty fees.

Alaska car rentals are cheapest a year in advance. One way to save money is to book off airport. As an example, when we get off the ship in Whittier we will take the Princess transfer to downtown Anchorage. Enterprise will pick us up at the drop off spot and then we will drop the car off at the end of our trip at another Enterprise off-airport location and then take a 5 minute cab ride to the airport. This saves a lot of money, even with the cab, because Airport locations charge hefty fees.

Well - I can't book a year in advance as my cruise is in a few months. :D

I've already decided that an airport car rental makes sense for me. Given that starting point I'd like to know if there is a reason for Enterprise being three times Thrifty & Dollar. And if there is any reason to pick one over the other.

Thanks

Cheryl

We have rented from National at Anchorage airport. We got a great rate too!

I searched using Expedia and only got results for Dollar, Thrifty, Enterprise & Hertz (forgot them in original message - they were on other side of paper). They indicate that Hertz is "counter in terminal, shuttle to car" and the other 3 are "counter & car in terminal". Hertz rates are even higher than Enterprise.

Does Expedia have something against National? I really don't want to have to search each and every rental agency separately.

I love an adventure but the planning may drive me over the edge!

Cheryl

If I remember correctly, all the major car rental companies are at the Anchorage airport. Don't know why you are getting so few through your search.

Picking random dates on the National website I found that renting May 31 and dropping off on June 2 the price for a three day rental through National is $143.98.

i used carrental.com and got good rates for Budget at the airport.

I'll try that - we don't travel much so had never heard of that site.

I usually only have to find a cabin in the Blue Ridge mountains and we drive to it - so putting together all the pieces for on-our-own land portion and airfare for the cruise has been an education!

If I remember correctly, all the major car rental companies are at the Anchorage airport. Don't know why you are getting so few through your search.

Picking random dates on the National website I found that renting May 31 and dropping off on June 2 the price for a three day rental through National is $143.98.

That looks comparable to the rates I was seeing for Dollar & Thrifty. Enterprise was over $100/day.

I'll try searching again - with more than just Expedia - and see what I get.

Maybe I should have phrased my question differently. Getting good info on who to maybe try for a good rate. Thanks everyone!

But how about service?

Assuming I want to pickup & drop off at Anchorage Airport - is there a car rental agency I should avoid because they don't do things well?

Cheryl

As long as you choose a national chain, I really wouldn't worry about anything but the cost. Over the past 4-5 years I have read about people geting surprise upgrades but complaints are very rare.

And as much as you don't want to check web sites ..... car rental prices can change dramatically from day to day or week to week, so you should check back frequently for a price drop, even up to the week before your trip.

I've had good luck with all the major rental car companies in the Anchorage airport with the service from National being above the others.

Don't forget to check GroupOn and other discount sites for coupons.

Gas prices are high in Alaska so be sure to rental the vehicle that you really want and need and not something subsstantially more expensive to feed.

I've had good luck with all the major rental car companies in the Anchorage airport with the service from National being above the others.

Don't forget to check GroupOn and other discount sites for coupons.

Gas prices are high in Alaska so be sure to rental the vehicle that you really want and need and not something subsstantially more expensive to feed.

Good tips - thanks!

I'll let my husband decide on size of car - he'll probably do all the driving and he's an engineer so he's good at figuring out what will be big enough but not too big. There is only the two of us and luggage is constrained by airline limits. When we drive to the mountains we seem to pack everything including the kitchen sink!

As long as you choose a national chain, I really wouldn't worry about anything but the cost. Over the past 4-5 years I have read about people geting surprise upgrades but complaints are very rare.

And as much as you don't want to check web sites ..... car rental prices can change dramatically from day to day or week to week, so you should check back frequently for a price drop, even up to the week before your trip.

I don't mind checking web sites - I just am very limited in the ones I'm aware of - I'm not even sure if I could name the national chains - every time someone mentions another one I say to myself "oh yeah - forgot about those guys". Heck other than Expedia I'm not very aware of web sites to get multiple prices on! As far as travel planning goes I live under a rock. :D

Is it safe to wait until so close to reserve a rental car? Is late May/early June a time when you have to worry about not enough cars available?

We are using Alamo at the airport.

What time do you have your rental car pickup planned for? We're also doing the Princess post-cruise transfer to the airport and I'm not sure how the timing works out.

Thanks Jennifer!

Is it safe to wait until so close to reserve a rental car? Is late May/early June a time when you have to worry about not enough cars available?

You should book a car ASAP, then check everyone's sites periodically in case they dropped their price. Prices fluctuate constantly so check up until you leave home. This list of rental companies is from the Anchorage Airport.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/anc/travelerInfo/rentalCars.shtml

What time do you have your rental car pickup planned for? We're also doing the Princess post-cruise transfer to the airport and I'm not sure how the timing works out.

Thanks Jennifer!

I have it scheduled for noon as I wasn't sure of timing either. We will deliver it back around that time too so it made the calculations easy. If we are there earlier then we'll deal with it. It is $170+ including taxes for a compact for 3 days--only two of us also.

You should book a car ASAP, then check everyone's sites periodically in case they dropped their price. Prices fluctuate constantly so check up until you leave home. This list of rental companies is from the Anchorage Airport.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/anc/travelerInfo/rentalCars.shtml

Thanks - appreciate you holding the hand of this traveling novice! :D

And the list will be very helpful.

I have it scheduled for noon as I wasn't sure of timing either. We will deliver it back around that time too so it made the calculations easy. If we are there earlier then we'll deal with it. It is $170+ including taxes for a compact for 3 days--only two of us also.

We don't fly out until 11:30pm so we'll probably be dropping off in the evening and end up with 3 1/2 days (which I'm sure is priced as 4 days).

I guess if I aim for noon pickup and we find out in advance about the timing then we could change the reservation - probably doesn't make as much sense for you if it will add a day to the charge.

Thanks Jennifer!

I have always used priceline for my car rentals and have always had a major carrier. I have never had a problem. I plan on using them again for the trip this summer. I always save a TON using them.

Good to know someone does. Only once have I seen Priceline or hotwire beat my independently-booked rate. I probably rent cars 10-15 times a year. With hotwire I know the price. With priceline, if I get within 90-95% of my already-confirmed, fully-cancellable rate and my bid is still not accepted, it is not worth saving a few dollars to prepay and lock in the rate.

But I usually book my car rentals for Alaska months in advance. $20/day plus taxes (or even less for a weekly rental) is common.

Archived