Gift for the workers

mkgwhite

Most of the crew on the ship come from third world countries. They do not wat to be your friend. In fact, they are probably disgusted by us and our gluttony. But they will take our money with a smile:)

Good point. Maybe I will save my cookies for our Meet & Greet.

I have read on the boards that pax will bring a small trinket from their home state..like a keychain or a magnet...and that the crew is always very appreciative....

I have also read here on the boards that $2 bills go over well...sometimes pax fold them into origami pieces for the crew to unwrap...

personally, we just give plain old greenbacks.....but others on the boards do the above...or so I've read here....

I have read on the boards that pax will bring a small trinket from their home state..like a keychain or a magnet...and that the crew is always very appreciative....Yes the crew needs 1000 keychains and magnets in their closet sized rooms

I have also read here on the boards that $2 bills go over well...sometimes pax fold them into origami pieces for the crew to unwrap...Yes, especially since we can barely spend them stateside

personally, we just give plain old greenbacks.....but others on the boards do the above...or so I've read here....

Can't decide if you are serious or not here. Yes you have read these things, but the majority of people say- plain old greenbacks in the highest denomination you care to present

When you pay the gratuity on your s & s card, do you get a receipt that you can include in the envelope with your extra cash tip? That way, they know they are getting the standard amount plus a little extra.

No, the crew knows who has paid the auto-gratuities and who was removed. They all talk about it. And crew are apparently questioned as to why their service was so poor that a customer chose to remove the tips.

You don't have to remind them.

Most of the crew on the ship come from third world countries. They do not wat to be your friend. In fact, they are probably disgusted by us and our gluttony. But they will take our money with a smile:)

I am sure you get all types of people as crew just as you find all kinds of people here in the states or non-third world countries. If you took a group of Americans and put them as a crew on a ship there would be many that are happy to be polite in order to earn a better tip and there would be those that are willing to do that plus they are very outgoing and friendly.

I suppose it helps when you have a conversation about their country, their family and their experiences rather than what drink you should order next. :)

I am sure you get all types of people as crew just as you find all kinds of people here in the states or non-third world countries. If you took a group of Americans and put them as a crew on a ship there would be many that are happy to be polite in order to earn a better tip and there would be those that are willing to do that plus they are very outgoing and friendly.

I suppose it helps when you have a conversation about their country, their family and their experiences rather than what drink you should order next. :)

We always chat with the staff. Some are really genuinel nice. They still just want your money though.

Cash. Nothing more, nothing less.

Staff are very good actors. Don't assume staff celebrates Christmas. Hope the staff would not eat a stranger's homemade goods, I sure wouldn't.

Enjoy the evening! :cool:

Sad we can't trust everyone. My cookies are not poisoned and they are quite delish.

I had not actually planned on giving cookies to staff. ;) I might bring some for myself, though. LOL.

Just give them cash. Our steward on our wedding cruise really went out of his way to help us, and we gave him cash.

The calling card idea is good, but many of them just go to internet cafes when in port and use Skype on the computers there. That costs money, so again cash is king.

If you could see the small space they live in and how little storage they have, you would understand why 1000 keychains or knick knacks is not practical. They may appreciate it, but don't really have anywhere to put it.

Also-somebody somewhere started a rumor that they love $2 bills. Please do not give them $2 bills-they are very difficult to actually use these days.

Good idea! If you put yourself in the place of the crew and understand their life on the ship what would you want?

CASHicon7.gif

Yup. Cash it shall remain.

Last voyage I made great friends with another woman my age - a crew member - who hadn't seen her two year old son in nine months. My DD was 15 months at the time. That really tore at my heartstrings. I'm very fortunate to be able to stay home with my daughter.

Sad we can't trust everyone. My cookies are not poisoned and they are quite delish.

I had not actually planned on giving cookies to staff. ;) I might bring some for myself, though. LOL.

lol I'm sure they are quite tasty!! :D Hell, I am hard pressed to even eat at a 'potluck' unless it's just family/very close friends. Guess I've watched too many episodes of shows like Messy Houses/Hoarders, and I've watched too many women exit the ladies room! :eek:;)

lol I'm sure they are quite tasty!! :D Hell, I am hard pressed to even eat at a 'potluck' unless it's just family/very close friends. Guess I've watched too many episodes of shows like Messy Houses/Hoarders, and I've watched too many women exit the ladies room! :eek:;)

I hear you on that. I guess others not feeling comfortable eating my stuff doesn't occur to me - I sell homemade edible chocolate dipped things on Etsy. I sell to people all over the country and have even shipped to troops in Afghanistan. But, that reputation can't follow me everywhere. Strangers don't know me from a poisoning psychopath.

I hear you on that. I guess others not feeling comfortable eating my stuff doesn't occur to me - I sell homemade edible chocolate dipped things on Etsy. I sell to people all over the country and have even shipped to troops in Afghanistan. But, that reputation can't follow me everywhere. Strangers don't know me from a poisoning psychopath.

Bring your cookies to the Sunset Bar on the Dream on 2/18 at 4:00 (unless the muster interferes which we will all be going to and paying attention) and I will eat them!!!!!

For me....my thoughts weren't that you would poisen anyone, I was more of the "I wonder if there is anything in there that I am allergic to!"

Your treats sound yummy to me!! Come with us on the Freedom this July. I know some young men who would gladly try your treats!

I too was lucky enough to stay at home with my four boys. Now that the youngest is in college, I'm teaching again....doing my best to make all my third grade kids (who are now part of my family, too) love learning!

For me....my thoughts weren't that you would poisen anyone, I was more of the "I wonder if there is anything in there that I am allergic to!"

Your treats sound yummy to me!! Come with us on the Freedom this July. I know some young men who would gladly try your treats!

I too was lucky enough to stay at home with my four boys. Now that the youngest is in college, I'm teaching again....doing my best to make all my third grade kids (who are now part of my family, too) love learning!

I wish we could book another cruise this year, but trying to save for an awesome room for our first anniversary next Feb. I want to sail on the Breeze and hopefully in a suite!!

Bring your cookies to the Sunset Bar on the Dream on 2/18 at 4:00 (unless the muster interferes which we will all be going to and paying attention) and I will eat them!!!!!

I can't wait to sail!!! I very well may, but only if time and the toddler allow. I always want a sweet snack in the afternoon and cruise ship dessert (aside from the WCMC) is not my thing. Cookies would be perfect.

I wish we could book another cruise this year, but trying to save for an awesome room for our first anniversary next Feb. I want to sail on the Breeze and hopefully in a suite!!

I know those anniversary cruises are special. I hope you can book that suite....they are awesome!

We are going on the Freedom this July to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary and taking our 4 boys, 2 DILs, and one GF. Luckily our best friends are

coming along to celebrate their 30th and bringing their kids.

We'll be bringing plenty of cash to give to our superior wait staff and stewards

Oh that will be awesome!! I hope you have a GREAT time. I'm ordering the etched champagne flutes from Bon Voyage and a cake for our honeymoon. I will bring my own champagne, though. The Bon Voyage champagnes aren't worth a darn. Dom is just a name, very unimpressed with the taste. And don't get me started on Korbel. Blech!! Anyway, just an idea for your anniversary!!

We did a family reunion cruise on the Sensation last July and it was a good time. Not my favorite ship and my LEAST favorite port - Nassau, I know the Eastern itinerary we are taking next month will be much better.

Cash. Bring blank envelopes. Write their first name on the front. That way you vary the amount according to the level of service and can discretely slip it to the crew member.

No need to hide what you tip!

I make it known when I tip ,in hopes others will follow my lead

Archived