Valor Photo Review ~ January 1-8 ~ Western: Westin, Chankanaab, Bannister, Maya Key

Aviendah

I really debated hard on this one! I haven't taken enough time to figure out my camera but I love taking photos. Most of what I shoot is in the Auto mode to be honest. I brought my Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home camera bag and put chargers in a separate case. It was a lot to lug around but it was worth it to me to have the visual memories. I make Shutterfly albums of all our trips so even though the family gets tired of holding cameras at times, they love the books. I put my Crumpler bag inside my beach bag when in port. I found myself using the Sigma for most of my shots. I got it right before we left and I couldn't put it down! It does create some distortion at the widest point but I'm not a professional so it doesn't bother me overmuch. I can fix some of it in Photoshop Elements if I take the time.

• Nikon D40 (got the super wide lens instead of upgrading the camera body)
  • SB 400 Flash with diffuser
  • Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD LD
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
  • Canon PowerShot SD980IS with Canon underwater housing
  • Sony HD Handycam

I visited the photography discussion forum on these boards and got some really good advice. I'll post the link here.

Super Wide Lens Discussion

I forgot to mention that you'll notice in some of the pics a blue cast. I also tried out a circular polarizing lens on the Tamron for the very first time on this trip. I see where I can certainly make some improvements and it definitely changes the coloring outcome of the photo. I think I needed to ease up on the effect in some cases.

Your pictures are absolutely incredible!!! Thank you so much for sharing. The Valor looks like a beautiful ship. I've been eyeing the Western itinerary for after Christmas this year, but I doubt it's going to happen since we are already doing Alaska in the summer. Your photos make it so tempting! The UWA lens has been on my wishlist for a while now...again, you make it so tempting!

Great review. Another question if you don't mind. We are also doing the Maya Key excursion. Do you remember the price for soda, beer or mixed drinks?

Honestly, we snorkeled so much we barely had time to grab lunch before we left. I think the price of drinks was about the same as it was on the ship; very comparable.

loved your review! my boyfriend & I were also on this ship & I'll try to post a review sometime soon, if I can find the time! As far as the DSLR goes, I have one too (Nikon D5100) and I could never figure out whether to bring it with me or not. It was a little big to put into a bag & take with me to the pool, plus I was worried about someone taking it.