Deluxe Suite - Maasdam vs Oosterdam experience

DaveOKC

Just back from 7 days on the Oosterdam and in Oct. we were on the Maasdam for 13 days, both times in a Deluxe Suite (categories SA and S respectively). So I thought folks might be interested in a comparison of our experiences. First, let me say that we enjoyed both ships and their crews!

The suites themselves - the cabin was a bit nicer and larger on Maasdam IMO. Definately more drawer space. Maasdam's sofa was also more comfortable. Not much of a difference though.

Balcony - Maasdam's was definately larger. Bothe had a tabble with 2 chairs, but Maasdam had 2 lounge chairs while Oosterdam 2 normal chairs with one foot stool.

Bathroom - Oosterdam won here due to the separate tub and shower.

Neptune Lounge - Oosterdam's was much larger, but I thought the food offerrings were much better on Maasdam.

Overall suite experience - Maasdam won. I think since there are far fewer suite guests on Maasdam than Oosterdam, the attention paid to the suite guests is a bit better. Plus with the fewer suite guests, it was easier to meet others at the suite functions and in the Neptune.

We always stay in the PS, S and SA cabins.

We love the Vista and Signature bathrooms with the double sinks and the separate shower.

On all the Vista and Singature ships that we have been on (its been a few years since we were on the Oosterdam) -- on the verandah we have always had 2 ottomans for the regular chairs with a tiny cocktail table between them. At the larger table we have had 3 or 4 chairs around it.

As for Neptune Lounge -- we don't spend a lot of time in there so really so not get to meet a lot of other suite passengers.

The S class ships and the Zaandam and Volendam didn't originally have the Neptune Lounge -- they were added later.

Just back from 7 days on the Oosterdam and in Oct. we were on the Maasdam for 13 days, both times in a Deluxe Suite (categories SA and S respectively). So I thought folks might be interested in a comparison of our experiences. First, let me say that we enjoyed both ships and their crews!

The suites themselves - the cabin was a bit nicer and larger on Maasdam IMO. Definately more drawer space. Maasdam's sofa was also more comfortable. Not much of a difference though.

Balcony - Maasdam's was definately larger. Bothe had a tabble with 2 chairs, but Maasdam had 2 lounge chairs while Oosterdam 2 normal chairs with one foot stool.

Neptune Lounge - Oosterdam's was much larger, but I thought the food offerrings were much better on Maasdam.

Overall suite experience - Maasdam won. I think since there are far fewer suite guests on Maasdam than Oosterdam, the attention paid to the suite guests is a bit better. Plus with the fewer suite guests, it was easier to meet others at the suite functions and in the Neptune.

We love the suites on both Maasdam (and all the "S" and "R" ships) and on the Vista Ships. (We've sailed 3 of the Vistas and both of the Signatures which have the same cabins/Neptune Lounges.) We book the "S" and "SA" cabins..

I LOVE all the drawers on Maasdam and think the empty space where there should be six drawers on the Vista ships is very unfortunate. The counter in the Vista has three measley drawers where as it has 12 on the "S" and "R" ships.

But the closet space on Vista ships beats the "S" and "R" ships IMO The shortage of drawer space is made up for with the abundance of hanging and shelf space in the closets. (You can drop down shelves if you don't want all of the space to be for hanging garments.) Don't forget the big drawers at the foot of the bed on Vista. I never use them but it's nice knowing they are there if one wants them.

What I really like better in Maasdam's Suite is the dressing table with sink. On Vista the second sink is in the bathroom rather than at the dressing table.

BUT I really like the glass stall shower in addition to the tub combination shower on Vista vs. only the tub shower on Masadam.

Also the veranda on Maasdam is noticeably larger but still the Vista veranda is great. We like both.

In short, they are both great cabins IMO and we like them both and we love Neptune Lounge on both.

Thanks very much for your observations. We are going on the Maasdam for the first time in March:) appreciate the comparisons:)

Archived