Carnival shares down 20% at Monday opening

CruisinGerman

Of course the tradgedy is impacting the price of CCL stock, because Costa is owned by CCL.

What will be interesting is whether the price of shares of other cruiseline-owning corporations is affected.

Good time to buy then. They'll be back up in no-time, people tend to forget FAST.

This seems to have a tinge of blood money if one is looking to buy on a short term swing. So be it, that's the market. However, one never knows if Carnival Corporation will be back up in no time. There are many other factors such as the price of oil, the European debt crisis, supply and demand, among others that could also impact the stock price. Transportation stocks always have volatility. One should always take a wholistic and long term approach to their investment strategies.

I agree that one should always consider all angles when dealing with buying/selling stocks. I disagree that this has a "tinge of blood money". The is precisely how buyers/sellers function on the stock market. Stocks generally should be purchased for longer-term holds.

All you really need to is consider the big facts. 1: is Carnival going out of business? No, most decidedly not. 2. Does Carnival offer a product that many people want? Yes. 3. Will this "want" decline? Maybe, but only for a short time if at all. All the company has to do is offer some discounts and deals and the ships will fill right back up, it's just too difficult to resist.

I would agree with ChrisYMQ, even if the stock does dip, it will be back where it was on Friday within a relatively short period of time. The trick is purchasing the stock at what you think is it's rock-bottom price. Look at historics and make your determinations off of that.

I also agree fully with RobKabob that one should always consider all factors when investing your hard-earned $$$.

I suppose one more thought is that will Carnival Corp even get hit that hard? I'm sure that due to the European debt crisis that Costa stock was already feeling the effects prior to today. Carnival ships continue to sail full as well as Princess and Cunard (all under CCL). The % may be low and any fluctuation we see may well just be reactional in the moment.

Blood money is when the press uses a situation to generate the most sensational outcome. Instead of reporting all maritime incidents they only report those that people will get a reaction to.

For example, last night a tanker exploded in South Korea, we lost 5 of our fellow seafarers and still have 8 reportedly missing, yet I didn't catch anybody talking about it on TV.

There is now talk of fuel oil beginning to spill out of the vessel. If this is true, then the whole game changes. The added cost of an environmental disaster on top of the current situation could be significant beyond what we're talking about in terms of stock value, etc.. JMHO, of course.

There is now talk of fuel oil beginning to spill out of the vessel. If this is true, then the whole game changes. The added cost of an environmental disaster on top of the current situation could be significant beyond what we're talking about in terms of stock value, etc.. JMHO, of course.

According to Lloyds list, their insurance covers that.

I agree that one should always consider all angles when dealing with buying/selling stocks. I disagree that this has a "tinge of blood money". The is precisely how buyers/sellers function on the stock market. Stocks generally should be purchased for longer-term holds.

All you really need to is consider the big facts. 1: is Carnival going out of business? No, most decidedly not. 2. Does Carnival offer a product that many people want? Yes. 3. Will this "want" decline? Maybe, but only for a short time if at all. All the company has to do is offer some discounts and deals and the ships will fill right back up, it's just too difficult to resist.

I would agree with ChrisYMQ, even if the stock does dip, it will be back where it was on Friday within a relatively short period of time. The trick is purchasing the stock at what you think is it's rock-bottom price. Look at historics and make your determinations off of that.

I also agree fully with RobKabob that one should always consider all factors when investing your hard-earned $$$.

I suppose one more thought is that will Carnival Corp even get hit that hard? I'm sure that due to the European debt crisis that Costa stock was already feeling the effects prior to today. Carnival ships continue to sail full as well as Princess and Cunard (all under CCL). The % may be low and any fluctuation we see may well just be reactional in the moment.

I agree with your discussion but not with your assumptions for two reasons:

1. Passengers died due to the crash. There have been incidents in the recent past of accidents, but any passenger deaths were secondary (heart attacks and such). Here, it appears, people may have died from the crash and evacuation.

2. The pictures are VERY graphic compared with other accidents.

I think you are going to see a lower demand industry for quite some time.

Jake

PS. As others have said, my prayers are with the passengers, crew, and their families.

Archived