If Costa practically pays you to go on a cruise

tanelicus

9-11-2001 happened. Do I not ever go on a plane again? NO! I have flown many many times since BUT I am a quite a bit more vigilant about my surroundings. I like to think I am an experienced cruiser as well, and it breaks my heart that this was Costa incident was from human error as it has surely changed many lives. I can't imagine how frightened everyone was on that ship even after hearing their stories on the news from the interviews but it is the captains duty to instruct his officers and teams to help his passengers as ultimately HE is the one responsible. There were such great language barriers but I often think that to myself when so many visitors from other countries are here and think wow...how in the heck are they finding out answers to their questions. So much injury and damage done by human error...what a shame.

Amen!! Good point

It would be nice if some would elaborate just a little past the "never again" or "nightmare" comments though. If nothing else it would help solidify why we keep going back to RCI. Or at least for me anyway :)

I just cant picture any cruise that safely returns me to the port I sailed away from being a nightmare. Everyone elses mileage may certainly vary though :o

Well...part of the problem was that it was 1997 and it was only my 3rd cruise and DH's second. We didn't understand cruise contracts and were young and naive and didn't understand that "lack of enjoyment" was not worthy of compensation. :)

September 21, 1997-7 day cruise to the Mexican Riviera on the Carnival Jubilee out of San Pedro. There had been 2 other hurricanes prior to our cruise and another one was threataning. We called Carnival, and they said, no problem...we've been able to make 2 of the 3 ports on all the cruises.

We live up near San Francisco, so we flew down the day of the cruise. The first night of the cruise we received a flyer about Hurricane Nora, that might force a change in intinerary. The next day they announced that we were skipping all 3 Mexican Riviera ports and we were going to Ensenada.

Carnival used to have a vacation Guarantee that would allow you to disembark in the first foreign port and receive a pro-rated fare. About half the passengers 300 or 400( I think they said-this was a tiny old ship) disembarked in Ensenada and were bused back to LAX without plane reservations or hotel. Of course many were local. We decided to stay onboard.

Then they announced we were sailing to the beautiful port of San Francisco! So we sailed home. We went to Walgreens in SF and bought some warmer clothes. We sat docked under the bay bridge next to pier 39 for 2 nights.

Because of the Passenger Services Act, we were not allowed to disembark and go home in San Francisco. Because so many of the passengers had left, about three quarters of the crew were given overnight shore leave. There were very few activities onboard. Did I mention we live very near San Francisco?

After the 2 nights docked, we sailed back to Los Angeles and got on the plane and flew back to San Francisco.

The other problems had to do with the ship. We had more than half a dozen power outages while we were underway and while docked. We had a window, but the people in inside cabins during the outages had a terrible time! It is not surprising that they wanted to totally avoid inclement weather. And we also had black, gritty water coming out of the taps. Our unexpected docking in SFand all the problems onboard made the local news.

So that's a synopsis. We did a "make-up" cruise 5 months later on Song of America to the Mexican Riveria and had a wonderful time.

And we haven't sailed with Carnival ever since. We haven't really felt a need to. We enjoy Royal Caribbean's product. :)

I have never been interesed in Costa. But, if they offered me a free cruise I would take it. I'm bet those of you who said you wouldn't would change your mind if this actually happened.

So agree. Free cruise - I'll at least check out the restrictions and rules of the offer.

I have never been interesed in Costa. But, if they offered me a free cruise I would take it. I'm bet those of you who said you wouldn't would change your mind if this actually happened.

Nope, still wouldn't...even if they paid me to go.

Hrm... my reply seems to have disappeared. I wonder if there's a board issue or if a mod took offense to the story of Carnival Corp covering up a severe crime committed by one of it's crew members on a 16 year old girl. I hope it's the former.

Saw first thing this morning on the news, that Carnival took a BIG Hit in their stock and Royal Carib took a big hit also, just not as big as Carnival.

The report went on to say that 2012 bookings are way down, and many cancellations are coming in. Forecasts for the spring -summer vacation seasons do not look good.

Royal Carib. like any other co. will have to analyze this situation to see if this is a short down turn or not, and perhaps begin to make changes so as not to go into the red.

I would keep an eye on things such as promo's, and/or perhaps cuts in services, perks!

Remember it was the "Mass Market" (first time inexperienced cruisers) they were trying to win over, and it is the same "Mass Market" that's now saying "You're not getting me on one of those Ships"

Would you do it now?

I would think that there will be some pretty incredible deals in the works.

If people are cancelling their Costa cruises, do you think they are going to book ships on other lines?

Costa is owned by Carnival, enough said....K.O. Near Philly

Archived