News & Weather on TV?

CMcG

We'll be on the Island Princess to Alaska in late May and we are trying to determine how much Internet time to pre-purchase and are wondering what sort of news and weather we will be able to get while cruising. If we can get that sort of info from the TV it will mean smaller Internet package.

Don't need to know everything that is happening in the world but want to know the big news.

And since we hope to hike in most ports good weather information is essential.

Appreciate any & all info.

Cheryl

I'm not sure if there is any advantage to pre-booking the internet. Typically on recent cruises I've been on with Princess, there is a first day special. This special gives you I believe 30 mins extra if you book any internet package on the embarkation day. It is well worth it for the free 30 mins. It doesn't apply for those of us who get a free package as part of being Platinum or Elite with Princess.

If I recall correctly, we are able to get Headline News channel which has weather as well as CNN and BBC news.

There is no weather channel per se on Princess ships. The Ship's Log channel will give you the current air temperature and sea conditions, but that's about it. You might luck into seeing the weather on one of the news channels, but chances are they won't even mention Alaska weather.

The front page of the Princess Patter does show the forecast for today and tomorrow. But all it says is "Partly Cloudy - High 65 Low 50". And I've found that even that is not always accurate.

I'm not sure if there is any advantage to pre-booking the internet. Typically on recent cruises I've been on with Princess, there is a first day special. This special gives you I believe 30 mins extra if you book any internet package on the embarkation day. It is well worth it for the free 30 mins. It doesn't apply for those of us who get a free package as part of being Platinum or Elite with Princess.

If I recall correctly, we are able to get Headline News channel which has weather as well as CNN and BBC news.

The Internet package info I found shows 20 free minutes with 100 minute plan, 40 free with 150 minutes and 60 free with 250 minutes. So there may be a slight advantage if we want the largest plan.

But it looks like we may have enough news and I'm now being told that a forecast for AK weather is not all that helpful due to the ever changing nature of the weather there.

Appreciate your help.

There is no weather channel per se on Princess ships. The Ship's Log channel will give you the current air temperature and sea conditions, but that's about it. You might luck into seeing the weather on one of the news channels, but chances are they won't even mention Alaska weather.

The front page of the Princess Patter does show the forecast for today and tomorrow. But all it says is "Partly Cloudy - High 65 Low 50". And I've found that even that is not always accurate.

Thanks - good to know what will be available.

If you have a Smart phone there are many location based weather apps you can use when you are in range while on your Alaska cruise. Cell phone coverage is spotty and only good near the ports. Be very careful that you do not connect to the ships system and pay huge roaming fees though, turning off all roaming capabilities as soon as you turn on your phone and go from there. Worked for me two years ago when I took an Alaska cruise out of Seattle

Archived