Lunch In Roatan

trenamarina

Our excursion will be done early- by 12. Instead of going back on the ship we'd like to have lunch.

Any recommendations for an authentic meal?

Thanks!

Authentic is a challenge unless you end up at a tour operator's Mamma's house. :)

Celeste's makes a famous baleada.

You'll be docked in Coxen Hole. Unless your excursion lets you out in West Bay and you try to secure your own transportation back (might not be possible on a ship sponsored excursion) Celeste's isn't close by Coxen Hole. There are still few restaurants in Coxen Hole proper. And Bojangles Chicken isn't my idea of local cuisine.;) I beleive there is a tourist oriented resto in the cruise port. But you'll need to grab a cab back to West Bay, or even try up the road past the airport where you find Miss Jenny's Lusty Lizard, which is a very interesting place with very good food ( and drink--mango margaritas, yum). And the taxi ride is cheaper than back to West Bay.

I agree Jenny's in an interesting spot but authentic food? I had shimps one night and it was suggest I have her famous burger on the next visit. Course I s'pose shrimps could be considered authentic being an island.

Like I said, bit of a challenge.

by the by ~ I think every one should have a look at West Bay Beach if they can swing it..if your just looking for food..Bite in the Beach is an amazing spot with a deck over the water.

OK, now that those that think they know Roatan have offered little info I will suggest two very local places, NOT West Bay high dollar stuff , in Sandy Bay try Comedore Ricks, owned by Aminta, great local food and great prices or near the Coxen Hole Dock in Gravel Bay is Hayde's. You will not find more local authentic Island food than these places the taxi drivers eat at

Monkeylala

While your info may be far better than anyone else on the boards...ya don't have to be so snotty about it.

Ya know the old saying..if ya can't say something nice..well please do try to refrain from the snark.

I love that word..snark... I don't get to use it near often enough. :D

OK, now that those that think they know Roatan have offered little info I will suggest two very local places, NOT West Bay high dollar stuff , in Sandy Bay try Comedore Ricks, owned by Aminta, great local food and great prices or near the Coxen Hole Dock in Gravel Bay is Hayde's. You will not find more local authentic Island food than these places the taxi drivers eat at

Nice recs. I thought you had to head over to West Bay Road and then up and over to Flowers Bay to get to Gravel Bay. Can you get there along the coast road from Coxen Hole? Hayde's would be a good choice then, as Sandy Bay is further than West Bay from Coxen Hole.

I agree Jenny's in an interesting spot but authentic food? I had shimps one night and it was suggest I have her famous burger on the next visit. Course I s'pose shrimps could be considered authentic being an island. /quote]

Well, her v****a soup is unique:D

Haydees is on the coast road, oceanside, just a few minutes west of Coxen Hole . The coast road runs all the way to the road crossing from West End to Flowers Bay

guess I'm so used to turning aff toward West End WestBay that I assumed that was the way the road went. Will double check my map at home.

Trenamarina...You might want to try Monkeylala's Hayde's. Don't expect a fancy place though.

We don't need fancy. We just want really good food we can't get at home.

Now your getting picky, In your first post you said you wanted authentic, I took that to mean authentic often eaten by local Islander food, I never suggested it was good, that is all personal preference. If you feel Islanders regularly dine on Crab, Lobster and other such extravagances you will be dissapoinnted, if you want true local type fare then stroll on in and order some "Tipico's" without asking what it actually is

Trenemarina,

Sorry if you were offended, I first gave you two very local authentic Island eateries, very popular with Roatans working class, Isn't that what they say, whenever travelling, ask the taxi drivers where they like to eat for good local food??

My only other reply to you was to clarify the "authentic" part as many travelling to the Islands have these visions of crab, lobster and other seafood in abundance and cheap which isn't the case these days. Also as far as being good? Just read the reviews of any "good" restaurant and there will be some that hated it.

Maybe a new smiley icon would help out

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ33TagTGZZO4kR91mNMVg2oo_uQLPp9BLDIPcC1zQ3yZvUl6Rl5w

Please...where can we find the famous lobster lunch? West End..West Bay..are they

the same? Last year we were in Roatan and the shore excursion desk talked us into

doing a beach with lunch..both were very average and I don't think we were near

the West End.

I guess we would take a taxi..Is it relatively easy to find a taxi back to the ship?

We don't have alot of experience in Roatan.

Please...where can we find the famous lobster lunch? West End..West Bay..are they

the same? Last year we were in Roatan and the shore excursion desk talked us into

doing a beach with lunch..both were very average and I don't think we were near

the West End.

I guess we would take a taxi..Is it relatively easy to find a taxi back to the ship?

We don't have alot of experience in Roatan.

You're probably referring to the Lobster Pot. It's a small place on the beach in West End. I know they are open for dinner, not sure about lunch. You will have to take a taxi there (drivers know where it is) and then arrange for the driver to pick you up as taxis don't typically roam around looking for fares. Be sure to bring cash as they do not take credit cards. Lobster dinners were around $20 each, plus drinks and tip. Depending on which dock you're at, taxi fare RT to West End and back could run $30-$60. At both Coxen Hole and Mahogany Bay go outside the cruise port gates (that means over the hill in MB) and negotiate with independent taxi drivers on fares. Taxis inside crusie port areas will typically charge flat rates that are higher as they pay for th eprivilege to pick up fares inside.

• 4 weeks later...

Ouch, ok, I don't mind that they are catering to tourists, since I am one, just wondering about the food...and I must say, they score a lot of points with me since most companies don't take the time to respond to reviews on TA and everyone has mentioned how attentive and kind they are...

No one has mentioned Smugglers Beach Bar and Grill in West Bay and it has fabulous reviews on TA. anyone know if it is close to South Shore zipline?

I believe this is a relatively new spot. It's on the property of the Meridan condo community in West Bay, at the end of the road. South Shore is "up the hill" on the road to West Bay. But an easy taxi ride from there. Just have your taxi driver wait at SS.

Ouch, ok, I don't mind that they are catering to tourists, since I am one, just wondering about the food...and I must say, they score a lot of points with me since most companies don't take the time to respond to reviews on TA and everyone has mentioned how attentive and kind they are...

It may be a great place to eat but it is a terrible place to mention when the OP was looking for a

authentic meal?

Thereis nothing authentic about their menu unless US style food is what you consider authentic for Roatan Honduras

Archived