Medical Question - Dialysis

PattiG

Pam:

That is WONDERFUL news about your sister and I hope she continues to improve and can soon join you on a lovely relaxing cruise! (You and I have been booked on several cruises, but it seems we change our minds on them all!) One of these days...... :)

There is a group called "High Seas Rally" that holds a cruise each year with dialysis patients. We have gone twice and think the world of it. The only catch is that you have to ride a motorcycle. The group hosts up to 14 patients a year. They pay for your cabin & even throw in spending money! They have a dialysis center set up in one of the suites with a doctor & 2 nurses to provide free treatments. There are fund raisers held on the cruise -50/50s, "biker bingo" (pots average $3,000-$4000 each!!).

Even if this does not help you, maybe you can pass the info to someone else.

Nancy

• 9 months later...

I realize that this post is over 1 year old but I thought I would share this information just in case someone reads this post and needs information about traveling while on kidney dialysis. I have used Dialysis at Sea and they did a great job. It is costly if your insurance will not pay. Luckily private insurance paid the cost in my case. Medicare will not pay.

Check out this company that arranges dialysis trips.

http://www.dialysisholidays.co.uk/index.php/brochure.html

Some of the same trips as Dialysis at Sea and then several different ones too. This is a UK based company.The cost per dialysis treatment is cheaper than with Dialysis at Sea on many of the trips. I am leaving with them next week for a 15 day river cruise on the Danube, complete with on ship dialysis. So far the customer service has been great; the cost has been good and the dialysis reviews have been excellent.

Hope this helps someone in the future and you get to enjoy a great worry free cruise.

Pam, I am not joking here, I think you really do know everything about cruising in general and Princess cruising specifically. WOW.
Thanks. I'm just older than dirt and have been there, done that. :)

While this thread is revived, an update on my sister. She still has kidney failure but has been stable for almost a year. She may need dialysis again in the future but so far, she's doing very well with her creatinine at 2.1. She flew to Beijing in May for our Diamond cruise to Whittier and is looking forward to our Royal cruise in October. According to her doctor, her recovery was not expected and highly unusual. Very lucky lady.

Archived