Medical Question - Dialysis

PattiG

Does Princess have facilities so that a person on dialysis can get treatment on board?
Patti, no. There are no facilities on Princess. I've been researching this as my sister was recently diagnosed with acute renal failure and will be on dialysis 3x a week for the rest of her life. :(

There is a company called Dialysis @ Sea (http://www.dialysisatsea.com/) which sets up and books cruises for people on dialysis. I actually spoke to the owner of the company as I had questions beyond their FAQ page. Here's a link to the CC boards which discusses dialysis; I posted the information I received from the owner of Dialysis @ Sea here. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31689647#post31689647

We're hoping my sister will be well enough in the future to be able to cruise again but it won't be on Princess. When I spoke to the owner, he said that Princess doesn't assist or help them which means they can't sail Princess since they use the Medical Center for dialysis treatments.

Does Princess have facilities so that a person on dialysis can get treatment on board?

Although I am not fimiliar with Princess, I would have to say no. If you do not self-administer your dialysis, there are two options...A) Check with Dialysis-At-Sea which is an outside company that does 50 or so sailings a year on different lines and offers on-board treatments. B) Depending on how often you, or someone else, need treatments, you can schedule them in different ports of call.

My father is a NexStage home dialysis patient and I had to do some research to get him onboard with his machine. If I can be of any other help, let me know.

Good Luck!:cool:

As a former dialysis patient and recent transplant recipient, I took the Golden Princess RT to Hawaii while on Hemodialysis. I scheduled treatments in Hilo and in Maui thru Liberty Dialysis. In both stops, I grabbed a cab and went for the treatments. The entire process was very easy. Obviously you have to watch your fluids while on board, but it was very doable for me. The dialysis technicians in Hilo indicated they get cruise patients now and then, so this was not that unusual. Dialysis @ Sea is very expensive and is not covered by insurance. Typically they book cruises with Holland America and Royal Caribbean. Ideally, If you can consider Peritoneal Dialysis as a backup method, Baxter will have all your supplies delivered right to the ship and cabin for you. Happy sailing!

B) Depending on how often you, or someone else, need treatments, you can schedule them in different ports of call.

:cool:

I scheduled treatments in Hilo and in Maui thru Liberty Dialysis.

Just be aware that any (and sometimes multiple) port can be missed due to various reasons. If your life depends on being able to make a particular port, then do not cruise.

Patti, no. There are no facilities on Princess. I've been researching this as my sister was recently diagnosed with acute renal failure and will be on dialysis 3x a week for the rest of her life. :(

There is a company called Dialysis @ Sea (http://www.dialysisatsea.com/) which sets up and books cruises for people on dialysis. I actually spoke to the owner of the company as I had questions beyond their FAQ page. Here's a link to the CC boards which discusses dialysis; I posted the information I received from the owner of Dialysis @ Sea here. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31689647#post31689647

We're hoping my sister will be well enough in the future to be able to cruise again but it won't be on Princess. When I spoke to the owner, he said that Princess doesn't assist or help them which means they can't sail Princess since they use the Medical Center for dialysis treatments.

My wife went on a Dialysis at Sea cruise a few years ago with a friend who is on dialysis. It was an Alaska cruise on HAL. Our friend never thought she'd be able to travel again after going on dialysis and this allowed her to finally see Alaska. No, it's not cheap, but it was worth it to our friend. You must book the cruise through Dialysis at Sea to be able to use their services.

No, it's not cheap, but it was worth it to our friend. You must book the cruise through Dialysis at Sea to be able to use their services.
True, because you're paying for the nephrologists and equipment in addition to the cruise fare. When checking prices, the cost quoted is per-cabin, not per-person. If you're used to paying a solo rate as my sister and I do, it's not bad. :)

In talking to the owner, he said that some insurance policies will cover the cost. You need to check your policy and insurance provider. Medicare doesn't pay for anything outside the US but as my sister has "the best" secondary with Anthem BC, it probably does. We haven't gotten that far in the research process as my sister still needs a daily caregiver and isn't independent yet.

When checking prices, the cost quoted is per-cabin, not per-person.

Medicare doesn't pay for anything outside the US but as my sister has "the best" secondary with Anthem BC, it probably does.

Correct, the prices is per cabin. My healthy cruise mate would have to pay the patient rate in order to sail in my cabin.

My experience with insurance was neither Medicare (fyi, you are forced on medicare after 3 years on dialysis. It's called the coordination of benefits period) or my secondary Blue Shield would cover treatments at sea. Again my experience.

There are times your ship "may" miss a port as another poster mentioned. All the more reason to have a backup method (peritoneal dialysis) or any hospital will treat you as an emergency.

As a former dialysis nurse I was curious about this thread. I did look into working for Dialysis at Sea but found it didn't work well with my life. As I recall the runs were done at night so the patients could take part in the daytime activities. I don't handle night work well so did not persue further. I think it is a wonderful service to provide. I wish you well.

Correct, the prices is per cabin. My healthy cruise mate would have to pay the patient rate in order to sail in my cabin.

My experience with insurance was neither Medicare (fyi, you are forced on medicare after 3 years on dialysis. It's called the coordination of benefits period) or my secondary Blue Shield would cover treatments at sea. Again my experience.

There are times your ship "may" miss a port as another poster mentioned. All the more reason to have a backup method (peritoneal dialysis) or any hospital will treat you as an emergency.

My hubby is close to needing dialysis so we are cruising as much as we can before that happens.....our medical people told us he would go on Medicare the moment he begins dialysis.....

You can do peritoneal dialysis while cruising. My daughter was able to cruise with us doing this. Baxter delivers the fluid to your cabin before you ever board. I know not everyone can do peritoneal dialysis, but it really was a life changer for her. It gave her a lot more freedom.

My hubby is close to needing dialysis so we are cruising as much as we can before that happens.....our medical people told us he would go on Medicare the moment he begins dialysis.....
That's correct, as long as he remains in the US. Medicare doesn't pay for anything, including dialysis, if you board a ship.

I should clarify, I am well under 65 yrs of age. When I stated I was "forced" on medicare, that only happens to people under 65, who wish to stay on their employer/self provided health insurance. I had blue shield full with 100 percent coverage. After the coordination of benefits period and having to go on Medicare (which only paid the first 80 percent) Blue Shield became my second payer, essentially covering the 20 percent shortage. If I was uninsured, ditched my own insurance, or just wanted too, I could have gone on medicare, as soon as I started dialysis too. I chose not to join due to the extra $321.00 every three months for medicare.

Life is too short, find a way to to travel. There are options!

• 6 months later...
Although I am not fimiliar with Princess, I would have to say no. If you do not self-administer your dialysis, there are two options...A) Check with Dialysis-At-Sea which is an outside company that does 50 or so sailings a year on different lines and offers on-board treatments. B) Depending on how often you, or someone else, need treatments, you can schedule them in different ports of call.

My father is a NexStage home dialysis patient and I had to do some research to get him onboard with his machine. If I can be of any other help, let me know.

Good Luck!:cool:

My wife and I are planning a cruise on "Navigator of the Seas" out of New Orleans in December. I am on Nexstage home-hemo. My nephrologist IS in favor of my going and has in fact encouraged me to do so. Other than the red tape involved with RCI's Access Desk, any problems I should be aware of in traveling with this 74lb. machinery? Thank-you.

J.R.Hargraves aka Pullman608@aol.com

My wife and I are planning a cruise on "Navigator of the Seas" out of New Orleans in December. I am on Nexstage home-hemo. My nephrologist IS in favor of my going and has in fact encouraged me to do so. Other than the red tape involved with RCI's Access Desk, any problems I should be aware of in traveling with this 74lb. machinery? Thank-you.

Princess doesn't have a dialysis center nor do they assist those on dialysis. :( You might want to ask this question on the RCCL board or in the Special Interest Cruising board topic, "Cruising on Dialysis." http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=942810

• 4 weeks later...

I don't see any issues that you would have. We fought a long battle with RCI due to the fact that we were at sea for 3 consectutive days. (that was their only concern). They finally reveiwed their policy, along with other cruise lines policies, and allowed us to travel. NexStage is AWESOME to deal with and ships all needed supplies directly to the ship. I believe we were responsible for bringing needles, gauze etc. Our local dialysis center got us the travel case for the machine.

As far as the ship, a Jr. Suite, or larger, offers the extra room needed.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer anything else for you. Have a great cruise!

Princess doesn't have a dialysis center nor do they assist those on dialysis. :( You might want to ask this question on the RCCL board or in the Special Interest Cruising board topic, "Cruising on Dialysis." http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=942810

Princess does allow peritoneal dialysis patients onboard. Our friends are travelling with us in October. Also, they were told that Dialysis at Sea services Celebrity. Our Medicare Coverage is 100 % inside the US and is exactly the same while travelling abroad.

Princess does allow peritoneal dialysis patients onboard.
Yes, they do.

Interesting that this thread was just resurrected. My sister, who last September, was diagnosed with renal failure with a creatinine of over 27, has improved steadily over the months. Just this past Monday, she was released from dialysis. No more! It really is a miracle. She'll be closely monitored, but is well enough to no longer need it. Hoorah! :) Prayers really are answered.

Yes, they do.

Interesting that this thread was just resurrected. My sister, who last September, was diagnosed with renal failure with a creatinine of over 27, has improved steadily over the months. Just this past Monday, she was released from dialysis. No more! It really is a miracle. She'll be closely monitored, but is well enough to no longer need it. Hoorah! :) Prayers really are answered.

Wow, Pam that is awesome... God is good......my husband is on a wait list for a kidney transplant. He has 13per cent use of his kidneys...no miracles for him, but we are cramming on as much cruising as we can.....he's not on dailyisis, but will do the home method when needed.

Wow, Pam that is awesome... God is good......my husband is on a wait list for a kidney transplant. He has 13per cent use of his kidneys...no miracles for him, but we are cramming on as much cruising as we can.....he's not on dailyisis, but will do the home method when needed.
When he gets the kidney transplant, that'll be your miracle. :) Hope and pray that happens soon.

Yes, they do.

WOW Pam, that gave me chills! That's excellent news. Take her on a cruise to celebrate!

WOW Pam, that gave me chills! That's excellent news. Take her on a cruise to celebrate!
First thing she did was to book two cruises next year. She wanted to join me the end of September but that was nixed by everyone, including her doctors, as she needs close monitoring for a while. :)

I don't see any issues that you would have. We fought a long battle with RCI due to the fact that we were at sea for 3 consectutive days. (that was their only concern). They finally reveiwed their policy, along with other cruise lines policies, and allowed us to travel. NexStage is AWESOME to deal with and ships all needed supplies directly to the ship. I believe we were responsible for bringing needles, gauze etc. Our local dialysis center got us the travel case for the machine.

As far as the ship, a Jr. Suite, or larger, offers the extra room needed.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer anything else for you. Have a great cruise!

Thank-you for your reply. We've been planning and think that we have all the logistics covered. We've talked to NexStage and the access desk and the nephrologist.

The only people that seem concerned are the RCCL folks. My Doc WANTS me to go!

(I think I'm a "test run" for future NexStage patients). We're in a "superior" balcony room

(not suite). I have had dialysis on several cruises; this will be my first HEMO cruise.

I'm really glad to be able to do this. It's been WAY TOO LONG between voyages!

(Don't mean to ramble, but someone else might see this and have another take on the situation).

Thanks again!

We know just what you are going through.. My husband went into kidney failure 4 years ago.. We struggled for 2 1/2 years on dialysis which is a horrible way to live... our Son finaly convinced his Dad that he wanted to be his donor... 15 months ago , my husband recieved his kidney from our Son.. Both are doing so great and our life is back to normal... We thank God and our son for our wonderful gift of health. We finally got to cruise again, something we did not think would ever happen.. we have another planned next year, and are so thankful that we can once again enjoy cruising.

We were one of the lucky ones.. our prayers are with those of you who are still going through this terrible experience of Kidney failure. If you can find a way to cruise, do it..... It will be well worth it..

We are thinking of all of you and wishing you the best.

Jacque... cruise happy gal... :)

Archived