Gem Cruise Review - 1/8/12-1/18/12 - Very long!

johnql

Great review & very informative. Thank you for sharing.

Can you tell me, in your opinion, do you think the tour may be too much for 7 & 10 yr old?

Probably too long and not particularly exciting for young kids. Between my group and the tour group that immediately preceded us (we were constantly catching up to them), there were probably 35-40 passengers. I don't recall seeing anyone under 20 or so years old. That said, it depends on the kids. If they're particularly attentive and enjoy seeing how things work, they might very well enjoy the tour.

I'm glad you enjoyed the review.

According to the itinerary the ship docks at 10:00 is this right?

Yes, but we got back earlier than expected. I don't know why that was the case, but it was definitely planned because the disembarkation instructions that were distributed the day before included the anticipated times for the various, colored luggage tags. Self-disembarkation was listed as approx. 9am with the last color listed as approx. 11am.

if you have the dailies, could you post them? i'm sailing on the gem this 1/29/12

thank you, if you can:)

I don't have a scanner but I'll try to take photos of them and see if they're legible. I can't do it immediately but check back late tonight or tomorrow.

P.S. Keep in mind that this was a 10-day cruise with lots of sea days, which means that the activities are probably different from a 7-day cruise (if that's what you're interested in). Even cruise to cruise, the activities will often vary. That's why I listed most of the activities in my review without giving times since they often change. I'll still try to post the dailies if they're legible.

We docked right around 8am. The self-disembark passengers started leaving the ship around 9:15. That said, you can't be guaranteed that your sailing will be the same since there are many factors that can delay disembarkation.

Yes, but we got back earlier than expected. I don't know why that was the case, but it was definitely planned because the disembarkation instructions that were distributed the day before included the anticipated times for the various, colored luggage tags. Self-disembarkation was listed as approx. 9am with the last color listed as approx. 11am.

Thanks for the responses. I know nothing is ever the same cruise to cruise, but I had a feeling the ship would be back before the 10am posted time and wanted to try to plan for that. :rolleyes:

Unlike most of our experiences with NCL, we too found some of confusion here. I actually checked with the front desk during one of the first sea days, and was told that docking time in NYC would be 8 AM -- so that was the plan all along. I don't know why they publish 10 AM.

Two of our group had flights out of Newark. DD called and was told that NCL didn't offer transfers to Newark at all, but they had Newark listed on the disembarkation instructions!

At the recommendation of other CC members, DD had made arrangements with Dial 7. Fortunately they were able to move the trip up; our driver from upstate NY was also able to meet us earlier than planned, so that worked out well. There seems to be absolutely no sheltered area in which to wait.

And the strange thing, which has absolutely nothing to do with NCL: as you exit customs, there are very nice restrooms, which we all wanted to use. However, security won't let part of the group wait with the luggage, and then trade places. And if you take the luggage outside, you are not allowed back in! So you have to take all the baggage into the restrooms............

Probably too long and not particularly exciting for young kids. Between my group and the tour group that immediately preceded us (we were constantly catching up to them), there were probably 35-40 passengers. I don't recall seeing anyone under 20 or so years old. That said, it depends on the kids. If they're particularly attentive and enjoy seeing how things work, they might very well enjoy the tour.

I'm glad you enjoyed the review.

Thanks!...Glad I asked....the 7 yr old has a really short attention span.

Regarding this activity:

Ballroom dancing in the Spinnaker Lounge

What were the men usually wearing?

Did you see a lot in sports coats, dress shoes, etc...?

Or were they mostly wearing casual clothing and athletic/gym shoes?

Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't attend the ballroom dancing, so I can't tell you firsthand what the men were wearing. Maybe someone else from this cruise can offer an informed reply.

I have a question about the wine corkage fees on the gem...I understand I can bring some bottles on for the $15 fee. My question is, does it have to be consumed all in one sitting or do they keep it for you if you only have a glass or two at a meal? I'm traveling alone with two kids and without my husband there probably shouldn't drink the entire bottle by myself! :)

I've posted pics of all the Freestyle Dailies. Here's the link:

http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/johnql/Gem%20Cruise%20Jan%202012/Freestyle%20Dailies/

Thanks for the dailies. I notice an 18-21 year old "mixer" on day one, KUDOS to NCL for adding this! This age group is sort of on their own, it is nice that they are trying to get the age group together so they can meet each other!

Thanks for the great details and pictures that you posted on Photobucket.

Do you have any pics of the boarding area outside the ship (in New York)?

I'm curious how busy/crowded it is when bringing your luggage and checking in. Thanks!

Sorry, no pics of our arrival at the pier. Too busy getting our bags checked with the porters and too excited to just get inside the terminal.

Hard to predict how busy or crowded it will be for you when you arrive. It mostly depends on what time you arrive. We got to the pier between 11 and 11:15am and it wasn't all that busy although we were still running into some of the previous cruise's passengers leaving the terminal. Took just a few minutes to get a porter's attention to take our bags.

Checking in was a breeze. Took five minutes, tops.

Archived