Costa ship in San Diego??

peabody99

I worked in the air traffic control tower at Lindbergh Field, San Diego from 2005-2008. When a cruise ship was in port, we could use it as our 4 mile weather visibility marker to the south. When out to sea, we used the downtown buildings instead.

But I never heard of Costa sailing to San Diego either.

The ship is on a world cruise, but San Diego was not a scheduled stop. It was supposed to be in Cabo yesterday, and the next scheduled stop is Los Angeles tomorrow. I suppose they could have pulled into port in San Diego because of the weather. Or because the passengers have been nervous over the Costa ship that sank, or some combination. They first entered U.S. waters today, and I would wonder if the Coast Guard or the Carnival company pulled them in for an inspection. The news today is reporting that the cruise line itself may be under investigation, and Carnival (which owns Costa) has announced that it is reviewing policies. Also, given the finances of people who take world cruises, I wouldn't be surprised if they had passengers who wanted to be let off the ship as soon as it was back into U.S. waters. Lots of possible explanations, but that ship was not scheduled to stop here.

Archived