Not my idea of "enriching" my cruise product

cinderellen

Yesterday I read an article on the BBC that was so disturbing I almost didn't believe it. Then I found it today on two more sites. It quoted the CEO of Costa of saying that the concept of sailing up so close to certain ports was "part of the cruise product that passengers demand and they are forced to offer it to stay competitive. It is something that enriches the cruise product".

Why didn't he say this 13 days ago? He originally threw the captain under the bus (deviated from charted course). The captain threw the navigational crew under the bus (the reef wasn't marked on any charts). The cruiseline threw the captain under the bus (the change in course wasn't authorized). The captain threw the company under the bus (they've allowed it before). And now the company throws passengers under the bus (they demanded it).

I would find it hard to believe that during the course of filling out the debarkation survey, someone would add "Hey, it would really enrich my cruise experience if we could sail really, really close to a reef and potentially risk the lives of everyone on board. If you don't, I'll cruise with some other line".

I will continue to sail on Celebrity where the ships are upright and their idea of enrichment is a seminar in the theatre with a speaker.

Yesterday I read an article on the BBC that was so disturbing I almost didn't believe it. Then I found it today on two more sites. It quoted the CEO of Costa of saying that the concept of sailing up so close to certain ports was "part of the cruise product that passengers demand and they are forced to offer it to stay competitive. It is something that enriches the cruise product".

The implication is that other companies must be doing this so Costa has to stay competitive. Do you think he actually thought about what he was saying.....or is he just brain dead.....

I was recently on a Western Caribbean cruise with Royal Caribbean and noticed that we were passing closer to Cuba than we have ever been before. Now closer to Cuba meant we were probably at least 8 - 10 miles, but they gave us a pretty scenic view of the mountains and coastal areas. So while this may be of interest to some passengers, I don't see the need to be able to reach out and touch the island like the Costa captain apparently did!

Archived