Should I stick with Epic or go with NCL Dawn?

filbo132

Hi,

I went on the Epic (Europe) cruise last summer and I enjoyed it a lot. What I liked most was the fact that there were many solo travelers which made it easy for me to talk to people (I am usually a shy person) especially on excursions.

In January 2013, I am planning to take another cruise with NCL (since I have a deposit and was satisfied with their service), but this time in the Caribbean.

Now my question, should I stick with Epic knowing there will be others solo travelers or do the other NCL ships have many solo travelers. As I have said here, I am usually someone who doesn't talk much to strangers unless just like me, they are a solo traveler as I can relate to them. But I'm worried that if I go with NCL Dawn for example, I'd be really in the minority compared to the Epic where they cater solo travelers...unless I am wrong of course and that is the reason why I am asking. Strangely enough, the NCL Dawn would cost about 100$ less than Epic.

Oh and one more thing, Norwegian Dawn will be going to Honduras, Belize and Mexico...will it be chilly to swim in January?

Thank you

I actually had the reverse situation- I went on the Jewel first, hated it solo and had an awesome time on the Epic. I would not under any circumstances recommend going from the Epic which is hospitable to solos, to any of the other ships.

I found besides the solo aspect, the ship was so big that I don't think i would have had that "fed to the wolves" feeling I had on the Jewel.

I don't think going on the Dawn would be saving $100, in my honest opinon it would be wasting the time and money- given that you could go on the Epic again.

I don't think the Jewel offerred any benefit to the solo traveller, and I doubt the Dawn also.

I am doing the Breakaway next, even if there would be a good last minute solo deal on one of the other ships from NYC like the Star- I will pass based on my prior experience.

I hope after reading this you call cruise rewards and use your deposit on the Epic again :)

I actually had the reverse situation- I went on the Jewel first, hated it solo and had an awesome time on the Epic. I would not under any circumstances recommend going from the Epic which is hospitable to solos, to any of the other ships.

I found besides the solo aspect, the ship was so big that I don't think i would have had that "fed to the wolves" feeling I had on the Jewel.

I don't think going on the Dawn would be saving $100, in my honest opinon it would be wasting the time and money- given that you could go on the Epic again.

I don't think the Jewel offerred any benefit to the solo traveller, and I doubt the Dawn also.

I am doing the Breakaway next, even if there would be a good last minute solo deal on one of the other ships from NYC like the Star- I will pass based on my prior experience.

I hope after reading this you call cruise rewards and use your deposit on the Epic again :)

Thanks, my gut feeling was telling me the same and I just needed a confirmation.

I have booked the Breakaway next, and that has 59 Studio's, a few of which are already taken from individuals on this board, which is nice.

I am a little dissapointed there are less studios than the Epic though.

In the back of my mind though, I am still considering a repeat Epic trip for December. The ship was so big, that no one really seemed to care if you were there solo or not.

In hindsight, when Studios had the prebooking sale before the Epic started, I wished i would have grabbed one instead of the Jewel. I did the Jewel since it was closer to me in NJ, but going to Miami was totally worth it

I absolutely agree that the Epic is great for Solo traveling. The Breakaway and future Getaway will be great additions for the solo traveler.

I would do the Epic. As you become more and more comfortable traveling solo, maybe then consider another ship. If you do another ship though, make sure you join the Roll Call for that sailing as it should help you a bit in meeting others

Please advise. I'm interested in the epic for europe but have heard two things that concern me....first that excursions are very expensive and secondly that sites are far from cruise ports. I'm also a little concerned about being a solo femle.....I've wanted to open a new thread to address these concerns. Please advise.

The only thing I heard from our solo host was that in general certain activites are later than the caribbean sailings, i.e the solo gathering is 6:30.

I am tempted to try it from Europe as I have never been to Europe

I've trolled other threads and checked excursion prices. For example, ciccevechia the port is quite far from Rome. Many excursions top three hundred, and that is the only way I'd feel comfortable since years before, we were attacked by gypsies at the coleseum.

I am 55+ widow who went on NCL Dream a few years ago fo a TA/Baltic backto back all by myself. I think the Dawn is similar to the Dream who is now out to pasture. I am shy and I would be afraid that the Epic would be way too big for me. I like the smaller ships. I like the freestyle for solos due to you can eat when and where you want and sit solo or with others if I want. I always was welcomed.

Archived