Best place to eat on GEM -day of embarkment

ctfamilyof5

Traveling with 7 people (4 adults, 3 children (8,6,2) - looking for the best option to eat when we first board ship - what is least crowded?

Also we are traveling out of NY in Feb - so something inside is important.

Any other tips for traveling on the GEM - Florida/Bahamas?

Things not to miss on the ship for adults and the children?

Traveling with 7 people (4 adults, 3 children (8,6,2) - looking for the best option to eat when we first board ship - what is least crowded?

Also we are traveling out of NY in Feb - so something inside is important.

Any other tips for traveling on the GEM - Florida/Bahamas?

Things not to miss on the ship for adults and the children?

Main dining room.. ;)

Yes, MDR is open at embarkation. Actually, we just returned from the Jewel. The cruise director made several announcements during embarkation reminding people that Tzar's Palace was open for lunch. I was surprised to hear the announcement and that there were still people that we talked to who didn't know. It was snowing and the outside decks were closed so I am sure the buffet area was really packed since the Great Outdoors was not an option.

Hi

I am glad to hear that you are traveling with your children as I have not found a lot of advice for doing so! We are considering doing the same cruise aboard the Gem with our two little girls (7 & 9) in March and would love to hear your opinion of the cruise when you get back! We are just wondering if it's a family type atmosphere of if it tends more toward the "party boat" experience and also what you thought of the kids programs and the staff there! Any advice/info/insight you can give us would be very much appreciated as we have never done this type of vaca with our girls and are a little nervous about booking!

Thanks!

Hi

I am glad to hear that you are traveling with your children as I have not found a lot of advice for doing so! We are considering doing the same cruise aboard the Gem with our two little girls (7 & 9) in March and would love to hear your opinion of the cruise when you get back! We are just wondering if it's a family type atmosphere of if it tends more toward the "party boat" experience and also what you thought of the kids programs and the staff there! Any advice/info/insight you can give us would be very much appreciated as we have never done this type of vaca with our girls and are a little nervous about booking!

Thanks!

Minimom - we've cruised almost yearly in March; and for the past 7 years exclusively on NCL. The kids programs are well attended and my daughter always loved them (until she got too old for them). There were many times she did not want to leave.

There are college students as well, so there is some partying going on, but we've never experienced "girls gone wild" type behavior.

We have cruised with our dd since she was four; it's a great vacation. :)

Hi

Thanks!

Its a perfect Family atmosphere. We have sailed with our kids for 10 years and they always love NCL. No wild pool parties (yet) ;)

Definitely the big MDR. Head for the aft once you are there -- get a nice table by the windows overlooking the river.

In terms of a "don't miss," once it's bit warmer out, we loved the big round double loungers up on Deck 14 as far forward as you can go. SO relaxing to just sit up there and veg out.

Have a great trip!

Check your Freestyle Daily as soon as they give you it in the terminal. Find the page with FREESTYLE DINING. On the CTN on the Gem this Saturday

Bali Hai Grill was open 2-5

Garden Cafe 12-5

Grand Pacific 12-2:30

Great Outdoors 12-5:30

The Grill 12-5:30

BLUE LAGOON 12 noon to 11:00pm

Lots of choices of where to eat besides just the Garden Cafe.

Archived