Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Clive, like you I am pleased to see that they are ever mindful of the 2 remaining passengers.

This link provides access to some close up pix of Concordia. Click on "view the gallery" at the end of the article. We've probably seen some of them but these seemed to be very clear shots.

http://www.businessinsurance.com/article/20130812/NEWS07/130819987#

There is a good view of the blister tanks on the Giglio web cam right now.

As I type this there's a good view of the blisters a bit off from CC this morning. M30 is currently a short distance away.

Unfortunately I can't stay up any longer to see which may move in and will have to rely on my favorite group here to update me later.

It looks like Lone is hovering just beyond M30 (good abb Micki) with the blister aboard ready to move in when Vincenzo Consentino has finished her work.

On a different tack, Giglio News is reporting that Greenpeace is going to stage some kind of demo on 16th protesting about the time the recovery is taking. Well that should speed it up a bit.

It looks like Lone is hovering just beyond M30 (good abb Micki) with the blister aboard ready to move in when Vincenzo Consentino has finished her work.

On a different tack, Giglio News is reporting that Greenpeace is going to stage some kind of demo on 16th protesting about the time the recovery is taking. Well that should speed it up a bit.

Perhaps Greenpeace should use their extensive knowledge and skill in engineering and ship recovery to do it faster...

Perhaps Greenpeace should use their extensive knowledge and skill in engineering and ship recovery to do it faster...

I'm sure if there hadn't been concern for the environment the job could have moved along much faster. Greenpeace should be celebrating the fact that this salvage operation has not done greater damage to the area.

In this case, they should be ignored.

I'm sure if there hadn't been concern for the environment the job could have moved along much faster. Greenpeace should be celebrating the fact that this salvage operation has not done greater damage to the area.

In this case, they should be ignored.

Exactly. It's not as if there were other alternatives short of cutting it up in place.

The only people greenpeace should be blaming are capt crash, and those who delayed salvors access to the wreck in the first months.

After the first few days, salvage crews should have been onboard the wreck to start to stabilize it.

Titan, Micoperi, Smit and all others involved are doing the best possible with the condition of the wreck and remaining within a semi sane budget.

"After the first few days, salvage crews should have been onboard the wreck to start to stabilize it"

That would have been somewhat difficult to do due to the tendering process and the Insurance companies involved. Good though it would have been.

Lone looks to be finally moving towards CC very very slowly with the barge carrying the 2 blisters attached to her.

I'm guessing this will be the most complicated lift of all, taking into account the tapering shapes of the blisters, the size of the blisters, the 60 degree list of CC, & the fact that most of the blisters will be underwater! Will they be attached as one, or seperately?

Will hopefully see this afternoon!

Good view of the blister structure on the port "panorama" webcam this morning. The thing is just enormous. No clue how they install that but since it comes apart I'd have to imagine it's port side first, then starboard side. Seems they may be a day behind on the install... I think the blister thruster pipes install ran a day over.

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html

There were surveyors, experts and salvage Masters, from various salvage firms, onboard within 2 days, to determine what the conditions were on board and to start putting together information to prepare their proposals and present their plans for salvage. This was started as the rescue/search for people was continuing.

Remembering back the first contract was to to pump off fuel and other oils.

Then it took time and many inspections for each salvage team/group to work up their plans and then have the proposals reviewed and the selection of the plan/team to due the salvage.

Greenpeace, is a worthless group, taking advantage of the CC disaster for no other reason then to get some headlines.

As usual, they have the wrong information and never let the facts get in the way of them making a headline!

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

There were surveyors' date=' experts and salvage Masters, from various salvage firms, onboard within 2 days, to determine what the conditions were on board and to start putting together information to prepare their proposals and present their plans for salvage. This was started as the rescue/search for people was continuing.

[/quote']

In that case the only one to blame is capt crash.

Media was claiming that salvage efforts including oil removal had to wait until the initial search for dead and evidence was done.

Not the first time they were wrong

In that case the only one to blame is capt crash.

Media was claiming that salvage efforts including oil removal had to wait until the initial search for dead and evidence was done.

Not the first time they were wrong

As much as I dislike the Media, when they say *salvage efforts*, I believe they were referring to actual work on the wreck.

I put process of determining what the conditions were on board and to start putting together information to prepare their proposals and present their plans for salvage, as information gathering. This was started as the rescue/search for people was continuing.

The formulating of the plan to remove the oil, awarding of the contract, gathering and building the equipment, was also started as the rescue/recovery of bodies was going on.

AKK

Tonka ... I think we may disagree on this but i doubt that while a search for bodies was ongoing that anyone else would have been let onto the ship, only after it was declared that the search was over would anyone be let onboard.

After all that would be like having someone wander through a crime scene, because in effect that is what it was.

Tonka ... I think we may disagree on this but i doubt that while a search for bodies was ongoing that anyone else would have been let onto the ship, only after it was declared that the search was over would anyone be let onboard.

After all that would be like having someone wander through a crime scene, because in effect that is what it was.

Hey there Sid, I do believe a limited number of salvage personal would have been onboard within a day or 2, but I must be honest in that I cannot say your wrong with 100% surety! Now that said, they need not have been going on the ship at the very start, a lot of information could be obtained from divers looking over the hull, the bottom etc.

Measuring the hull position, how she was set on the bottom, etc.

They would have been gathering all the vessels plans, systems, details from the builders. ETC.

AKK.

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

According to the latest weekly report they are going to install both sides of the blister before the parbuckling. I think they are going to fill them with air because they want the bouyancy to releave some of the strain on the hull since a large section of the forward part of the ship will not be supported by the platforms.

Micoperi 30 appears to have moved slightly closer to the blisters with 3 of her hooks lowered down from her sheerleg crane. Could she be partly (with Lone) or completely involved in the lift of the blister/blisters onto CC's bow?

It's getting late in the day for the lift, but I can imagine the Islanders will not be too pleased with the sight of Pioneer, CC, Lone, & Micoperi 30 stretched out in a long line from the harbour entrance, & will want it done ASAP!

It looks like to me that the the blister might be installed already on the port side. It looks real dark, like there is something there now. Am I seeing that right?

I think you can see the black hull of the Afon Cefni tugboat that is moored up to CC's portside bow. Both blisters still on the barge moored up to the liftship Lone @ the moment!

Its so easy to mistake shadows and changes in light for something solid, I think we have all made that mistake.

Can our experts tell us if the cranes on either Lone or M30 is capable of lifting the blister in one go or do they have to be split to be installed ??

Perhaps they have laid back today because of the greenpeace demo, there did seem to be a lot of small crafts around the area today.

Given that the blisters are still together on the barge, does this indicate that they will be mounted together onto the bow of CC? The photo in the last progress report showed them close to each other, but with a clear gap. On the webcam it looks more as if they are now linked without gap.