Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I have tried to find some updated info on Piombino but couldn't come up with much. There was only the news that requests for bids was issued back in May, with all bids needing to be in by mid June. No updates as to what company was awarded the job, that I could find.

http://www.dredgingtoday.com/2013/06/07/italy-officials-seek-contractors-for-port-of-piombino-dredging/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DredgingToday+%28Dredging+Today+-++The+industry%27s+ground-breaking+news+provider%29

Another article, dated before this one said the project would not likely be finished before spring of 2014.

That alone would indicate the ship won't be moved anytime soon.

Edited by SomeBeach

I have tried to find some updated info on Piombino but couldn't come up with much. There was only the news that requests for bids was issued back in May, with all bids needing to be in by mid June. No updates as to what company was awarded the job, that I could find.

http://www.dredgingtoday.com/2013/06/07/italy-officials-seek-contractors-for-port-of-piombino-dredging/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DredgingToday+%28Dredging+Today+-++The+industry%27s+ground-breaking+news+provider%29

Another article, dated before this one said the project would not likely be finished before spring of 2014.

That alone would indicate the ship won't be moved anytime soon.

Thanks, SB; I couldn't find much either. I guess we are still in the "bribing" stage, and that doesn't lend itself to a lot of publicity!

Yeah, Skipper, they will be removing all the towers, anchor blocks, platforms, and grout bags from the site, and will most likely be required to vacuum the bottom to remove any potential eco hazards left behind (paint, etc). I believe they salvaged all of the bulk oils onboard by tapping into the tanks and pumping out, but there will be the drums and pails of oil still left behind.

Haven't heard a lot about the scrapping facility, but Piombino has steel mills with a dock, so that's probably where it will happen. Controlling depth in Piombino is less than 12m, and the parbuckling site claims the Concordia's draft will be 18m when refloated, so there will be some dredging required. Maybe SB, the search wizard, can find something about Piombino.

I know the heavy and MDO has been pumped out for the most part, but I believe their are some smaller tanks and I am sure drums of lube and hydraulic types oils still onboard.

As to the mill, that maybe tricky/problematical as the mill needs to be able to get their loads of scrap steel into the yard to keep the furnace going. Dismantling the Concordia will take months.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

I know the heavy and MDO has been pumped out for the most part' date=' but I believe their are some smaller tanks and I am sure drums of lube and hydraulic types oils still onboard.

As to the mill, that maybe tricky/problematical as the mill needs to be able to get their loads of scrap steel into the yard to keep the furnace going. Dismantling the Concordia will take months.

AKK[/quote']

Given that this is Italy, which at least has environmental laws (unlike Bangladesh), and that doesn't have a base of ship scrapping, I would put the timeline as years to complete things. (throw in a few strikes along the way, just to keep the Italian flavor going).

Given that this is Italy, which at least has environmental laws (unlike Bangladesh), and that doesn't have a base of ship scrapping, I would put the timeline as years to complete things. (throw in a few strikes along the way, just to keep the Italian flavor going).

Agreed, it could be years.:rolleyes:

I still wonder, depending on the hull condition and stability of the hulk when afloat, whether it would be better to just tow it to the middle east or India for scrapping.

Agreed' date=' it could be years.:rolleyes:

I still wonder, depending on the hull condition and stability of the hulk when afloat, whether it would be better to just tow it to the middle east or India for scrapping.[/quote']

There was talk of Turkey that I know of, but I think its an Italian government thing for the economy/jobs.

Good story to extrapolate. It means cruise line insurance premiums will increase 20%+ which will be passed on to cruise passengers.

That will depend on which P&I clubs Costa is a member of. Other clubs should not see any increase. Also, that cost will probably be spread out over cargo ships as well.

That will depend on which P&I clubs Costa is a member of. Other clubs should not see any increase. Also, that cost will probably be spread out over cargo ships as well.

Cheng

That assumes that cruise lines only increase prices commensurate with actual increases in directinsurance premium costs. I suspect many of them follow the maximum: "never miss an an opportunity to make use of a crisis." :D

John

There was talk of Turkey that I know of, but I think its an Italian government thing for the economy/jobs.

Yes it was seen at the start as a jobs program by the Italian government.

Turkey has a big scrap yard or two, but even there the environmental laws have tightened.

AKK

Turkey has a big scrap yard or two' date=' but even there the environmental laws have tightened.

AKK[/quote']

I just don't see it being towed through the Suez (way too much cost), and around Africa would be too risky and again a lot of cost.

Yes, the days when the SS United States was taken to Turkey to have the asbestos removed are long gone.

Turkey has a big scrap yard or two' date=' but even there the environmental laws have tightened.

AKK[/quote']

That's what I remember a few articles focusing on which is the added jobs the scrapping would bring if performed in the Italian shipyards.

The best place where to dismantle the Costa Concordia should be Palermo: here the wreck would be reduced to the bone and then towed to Turkey for scrapping. The port of Piombino, the main competitor of Cantieri navali di Palermo in millionaire match for the hoarding of the sunken ship in January last year, "is not able to accommodate the wreckage for serious structural weaknesses ' objective, to remedy which would take at least three years.

lavori_notturni221212.jpgThis is what writes Fincantieri in a document given to the Ministry of economic development. An analysis prepared by the State at the request of the same Ministry, and demonstrating time and ways in which the cruise ship wreck should be straightened out, pulled to the port of destination and dismantled. The rotation of the hull is expected to be completed in September, then "the site intended to receive the wreck-the-document must be ready by December or January 2014, 2013 at the latest."

Quota times playing from 500 million dollars that sees months opposing the Piombino Harbour, in Tuscany, logistically closer to Giglio island but does not have the necessary infrastructure to destroy the ship, and the Palermo shipyard, the only ones in Europe to have a dock so great to host the giant 290 metres long. A game where is high political pressure so that the job go to the Tuscan port, as compensation for the damage caused to the region by accident.

So high that the national Government has already given the ok to finance from 110 million for the retrofitting of the small port, you need to create all the necessary infrastructure to accommodate the ship. Work has not yet started and for which Fincantieri, in the report, predicting a period of about three years. A time too long considering that, according to the company, once rotated the hull must enter the port within three months so as not to suffer new damage.

«Our experience-Fincantieri in the document says-leads us to point out that the timing for the construction of a large basin and infrastructure of those envisaged from scratch for the port of Piombino is in no less than three years between completion of the study, implementation of the project approval times, civil engineering and other bodies, including the Court of Auditors '

As a best guess, then, Fincantieri Palermo indicates: here the ship methods would bring about three months, the time it takes to close the loophole and empty inside the wreck, which would give work to about 200 workers of the company, currently on layoff. The dismantling, by contrast, would take place in a Mediterranean yard, probably Turkish, where labor costs are far lower than those in Italy. On this option, Fincantieri, there would be the availability of British insurers pool they have in hand the entire ship's operation.

«Palermo is undoubtedly the most suitable choice-points out the Pd's Deputy David Pharaoh-but we are in danger of losing his job because, while the Tuscany region puts pressure for months from Sicily nobody, neither Cross nor Orlando, is spending a word on each other».

Criticism coming from the industrial world. "We see the utter inability of the Government to question management Cross-sticks Francesco Foti, Fiom-continuing so it is evident that the Concordia will end at Piombino, despite being a choice against all logic".

Aug 7th

http://www.giglionews.it/2013080759908/news/isola-del-giglio/la-qguerra-dei-portiq-per-accogliere-la-concordia.html

Sounds like the usual Italian organisation or should i say lack of it! the sensible option is Palermo and not that far away either.

While I agree that Piombino makes no sense whatsoever, at least it appears to me that they are planning on complete scrapping there. From the painful translation, it seems Fincantieri is only looking to weld up the hull, drain it, remove the caissons, and send it to Turkey for scrapping. I'm sure the insurers would prefer Turkey, but I think Italy will make Costa pay for years to finish the job in Piombino. The hull will sit around just like the lifeboats.

While I agree that Piombino makes no sense whatsoever, at least it appears to me that they are planning on complete scrapping there. From the painful translation, it seems Fincantieri is only looking to weld up the hull, drain it, remove the caissons, and send it to Turkey for scrapping. I'm sure the insurers would prefer Turkey, but I think Italy will make Costa pay for years to finish the job in Piombino. The hull will sit around just like the lifeboats.

Not only everything you said Chief, but add in that the Concordia will become a big tourist attraction in its own right!

A sad ending for her!

AKK

Not only everything you said Chief' date=' but add in that the Concordia will become a big tourist attraction in its own right!

A sad ending for her!

AKK[/quote']

Truly.

I think it will be very interesting when they get the ship refloated to see how much hull damage there is. Aside from the emotional issues regarding the lost lives, I would be interested in whether she could be salvaged and returned to service.

When the Pride of America sank at the Lloydwerft dock during construction back in 2004, NCL wanted to refloat her right away. The insurers wanted to assign blame first, and then get to work, so she sat on the bottom for 3 months (not like laying on her side for two years, though). Once they had her refloated, the first people onboard were the Wartsila tech reps, who basically drained the engine, pumped in a special lube oil, and fired the engines up. To date, I don't believe there has been any premature maintenance or failures of these engines (still have a friend sailing as Chief there). All the wiring had to be renewed, up to deck 3, due to water being wicked into the insulation, but I think most of the issues with that mess have been fixed over time.

I wonder if Fincantieri is looking to salvage the engines, etc, and what would happen to them in Piombino.

Truly.

I think it will be very interesting when they get the ship refloated to see how much hull damage there is. Aside from the emotional issues regarding the lost lives, I would be interested in whether she could be salvaged and returned to service.

When the Pride of America sank at the Lloydwerft dock during construction back in 2004, NCL wanted to refloat her right away. The insurers wanted to assign blame first, and then get to work, so she sat on the bottom for 3 months (not like laying on her side for two years, though). Once they had her refloated, the first people onboard were the Wartsila tech reps, who basically drained the engine, pumped in a special lube oil, and fired the engines up. To date, I don't believe there has been any premature maintenance or failures of these engines (still have a friend sailing as Chief there). All the wiring had to be renewed, up to deck 3, due to water being wicked into the insulation, but I think most of the issues with that mess have been fixed over time.

I wonder if Fincantieri is looking to salvage the engines, etc, and what would happen to them in Piombino.[/quot

I agree, there is likely many mechanical parts that can be salvaged. Those mains are not cheap to buy and I am sure there will be someone willing to take a chance on them.

AKK

Hi Cheng

I have checked Lone out on Marine Traffic and it is showing "out of range" I am sure last night it was in La Spezia so you could well be right.

On the subject of the scrapping, I have come across this which I find interesting.

http://toscana-notizie.it/2013/08/06/piombino-firmato-il-protocollo-per-il-porto-rossi-ora-subito-via-ai-lavori/

Note it says that the EU has asked member countries to identify more yards for scrapping purposes. Could be the answer to the calamity that is Alana

Hi Cheng

I have checked Lone out on Marine Traffic and it is showing "out of range" I am sure last night it was in La Spezia so you could well be right.

On the subject of the scrapping, I have come across this which I find interesting.

http://toscana-notizie.it/2013/08/06/piombino-firmato-il-protocollo-per-il-porto-rossi-ora-subito-via-ai-lavori/

Note it says that the EU has asked member countries to identify more yards for scrapping purposes. Could be the answer to the calamity that is Alana

Lone is showing in La Spezia still. I've noticed that her signal is intermittent at her current berth, so only the movement of Micoperi suggested that she was moving.

The way I read that, the EU is looking for yards to scrap the 1000 ships that currently need scrapping in Europe. I think the Tuscan official is saying (I know, painful translations) that they are planning to put Piombino up to the EU as a possible scrap yard, so that the infrastructure and labor don't go to waste after Concordia is done.

What is Alana?