Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Hi Cheng .... Why would the Caissons have to be welded underwater once the ship is upright ? will they not be bolted to the steel girders that will be welded to the side of the ship?

Either way, the girders or the caissons would need to be welded underwater, and bolted under water. I believe there is some welding of caissons after bolting, as the bolting is probably just to keep it in position until welded. Given the amount of lift force, I would think that full welding would be preferred over bolting. Just a guess.

The National Geographic programme called "Concordia 1 year on" has just been on tv again, at the end of the programme they showed a computer graphic which shows Strand Jacks that will be fixed to the top of the caissons on the Port side and attached are chains that will be fixed to the underwater platform to aid the pulling of the ship upright along with those on the Starboard side.

Thanks for that Mike, its certainly a much better shot than we had before, sadly mine isn't refreshing, I hope others are having better luck.

I did email Giglio news a few weeks ago to ask for it to be improved and although I didn't receive a reply someone has had it changed.

It is my belief that the blister is a support structure to provide a flat surface on which to mount the cassions at the bow.

The weekly report has the red blister icon flipped around so the taller part is at the bow instead of the stern, like the parbuckling website image shows. Makes more sense that it would be a tank welded onto the hull for which to make a flat surface to mount P1 and P2 on top of... although we sort of know this now given the "recent" video update on the website.

I stand corrected on the trip to Livorno. Now that I've had a chance to read the weekly report, P13 was possibly damaged during the first installation attempt last week and it looks like they postponed installation to check out the caisson.

Google translate:

Removal operations have continued this week with the installation of caissons thrust P4 and P5. The last of the boxes to be placed on the side of the Costa emerged Concordia before straightening, the caisson P13, will be installed by mid-August. During the installation attempt performed on 29 July, following a contact with the left side of the Costa Concordia, during stance, the P13 suffered a slight shock: in order to verify the structure of the grid, the box body was sent back at Livorno for verification. The activity does not affect, however, the trial program established for the parbuckling

I stand corrected on the trip to Livorno. Now that I've had a chance to read the weekly report, P13 was possibly damaged during the first installation attempt last week and it looks like they postponed installation to check out the caisson.

Google translate:

Yeah, I saw that, and you beat me to posting it. Given that the blister is scheduled to be onsite in a couple days, they have probably pushed P13 back until after it is installed. I'm frankly surprised that they haven't damaged any other caissons to date. They are probably doing crack checks, some fairing of the mounting grids, and air pressure testing of the caisson tank.

Is mid September still doable? Will she last another winter?

David.

Only the parbuckling (rotating to the upright) is scheduled for September. The last I've heard, the ship is scheduled to remain on the bottom (grout bags and platforms) for the winter, and the starboard caissons and refloating scheduled for the spring.

As for schedule, the strand jacks, cables and chains should easily be done by the end of Aug. The scheduled install of P13 mid Aug should not delay the parbuckle. From the update video, the critical path item appears to be the filling of the grout bags, which should be done in late Aug.

I would think that the parbuckle is achievable by mid/ late September. But there is an awful lot of work to do after that, 4 caissons on the port side and 15 on the Starboard side, plus the repair work on the starboard side rock damage before Concordia will float again.

I cant see that all that can be done before any guarantee of calm seas and good weather is possible. I still think the sail away will take place next Spring at the earliest.

What do our experts think of the possibility of the Winter being used to remove some of the top decks of the ship.

I would think that the parbuckle is achievable by mid/ late September. But there is an awful lot of work to do after that, 4 caissons on the port side and 15 on the Starboard side, plus the repair work on the starboard side rock damage before Concordia will float again.

I cant see that all that can be done before any guarantee of calm seas and good weather is possible. I still think the sail away will take place next Spring at the earliest.

What do our experts think of the possibility of the Winter being used to remove some of the top decks of the ship.

Not sure how much repair of the stbd side there will be. They don't plan to completely close the breach on the port side, to allow some outflow as the ship is raised. They may plate over windows, etc. I think that the Giglio officials will not look fondly on removing upper decks with the possibility of things lost overboard while dismantling. The weight of the upper decks won't affect the overall weight of the lift (percentage wise), so I think they will opt for controlled demo in port. Could happen, though.

I guess they could lose stuff from the top deck that is easily removed which would not prove to be any problem within the time frame.

One thing is that the salvage and the scrapping are two separate jobs, so I'm not sure Titan/Micoperi want to get involved with that, and not sure if whoever the Italian government has lined up to run the scrapping in Piombino is capable/willing to mobilize for scrapping during the winter.

The Chief pretty well hit it on the head..salvage and scrapping are 2 different items, each involving their own skills and expertize. It is not a easy thing to dismantle a vessel. So many different metals, materials, the various lube oils, fuel and other oils still on board having to be contained.

Just cleaning up paint chips and rust can be a big issue.

If you all remember back, the locals were very concerned about doing any cutting up of the wreck while she was still there. So unless it is really needed, I suspect they will be very against any cutting at the island.

If I remember correctly, they are actually creating a new scrap yard facility to do the dismantling. that means bringing in experts, cutting torch's and clippers, tools, trucks, etc. everything needed to do many the jobs.

Then add all the investigators that will be going over the wreck as she's cut up.

I am sure, unlike the middle east and India, there will be no cutting corners and they will need to clean up the facility when the wreck is gone.

Has anyone heard anything more about the status of the facility they are supposed to be setting up?

AKK

The Chief pretty well hit it on the head..salvage and scrapping are 2 different items' date=' each involving their own skills and expertize. It is not a easy thing to dismantle a vessel. So many different metals, materials, the various lube oils, fuel and other oils still on board having to be contained.

Just cleaning up paint chips and rust can be a big issue.

If you all remember back, the locals were very concerned about doing any cutting up of the wreck while she was still there. So unless it is really needed, I suspect they will be very against any cutting at the island.

If I remember correctly, they are actually creating a new scrap yard facility to do the dismantling. that means bringing in experts, cutting torch's and clippers, tools, trucks, etc. everything needed to do many the jobs.

Then add all the investigators that will be going over the wreck as she's cut up.

I am sure, unlike the middle east and India, there will be no cutting corners and they will need to clean up the facility when the wreck is gone.

Has anyone heard anything more about the status of the facility they are supposed to be setting up?

AKK[/quote']

Yeah, Skipper, they will be removing all the towers, anchor blocks, platforms, and grout bags from the site, and will most likely be required to vacuum the bottom to remove any potential eco hazards left behind (paint, etc). I believe they salvaged all of the bulk oils onboard by tapping into the tanks and pumping out, but there will be the drums and pails of oil still left behind.

Haven't heard a lot about the scrapping facility, but Piombino has steel mills with a dock, so that's probably where it will happen. Controlling depth in Piombino is less than 12m, and the parbuckling site claims the Concordia's draft will be 18m when refloated, so there will be some dredging required. Maybe SB, the search wizard, can find something about Piombino.