Car rental in Yorkey's Knob?

3rdGenCunarder

We will tender into Yorkey's Knob on QM2 on Sunday Feb 19. is there any hope of hiring a car there on a Sunday? The ship offers several tours, but none of them has the combination of things I want to see. All I really want is to do the duck tour in the rainforest and have some time in Kuranda, and these two activities are not together on any tour.

We will tender into Yorkey's Knob on QM2 on Sunday Feb 19. is there any hope of hiring a car there on a Sunday? The ship offers several tours, but none of them has the combination of things I want to see. All I really want is to do the duck tour in the rainforest and have some time in Kuranda, and these two activities are not together on any tour.

Having been to Yorkeys Knob, not much infrastructure there, nice yacht club at the pier!

Car Rental would normally need to be prebooked and the depots would be Cairns, i.e. Thrifty, Avis, Hertz. However there is a small car rental service called Gem car rental in Yorkeys Nob, you might try googling them. Saying that there is a possibility one or more of the car rental companies may bring some vehicles in for hire by cruise pax. I suggest you maybe contact http://www.thrifty.com.au or http://www.avis.com.au for advice.

Good luck and enjoy Cairns !

• 2 weeks later...

The airport would be closer to pick up a car.

It would have to be prebooked and you would probably need to prebook a taxi to pick you up from the pier at the Yacht Club to take you to the airport.

It would also depend on what time your tender arrives on shore, as they can be slow from there sometimes.

• 1 month later...

I see you've already travelled, but I'll answer for any future reference.

Most car hire companies will do a drop off to the marina - if not then just get to their office in town. It's only 5-10 more minutes than the airport and much cheaper. Both the taxi and hire car company will charge a premium price for anything to do with the airport.

Thanks to those who answered. In the end, we went with a ship's tour because of doubts about car rental on a Sunday. We did the train and the army duck tour. We would have liked to do the cablecar, too, but no tour offered all three.

We also walked to the beach and park area in Yorkeys, which was pleasant, although the day was scorching. It was fun to see the people who came out to see and take pictures of QM2. She draws a crowd wherever she goes. I got some great shots from there, too.

Archived