Numerous Boston ??s

alwalaska

We recently booked a B2B Boston to Quebec City and back starting Friday September 27, 2013.

We will be 4 adults needing 2 hotel rooms. My mom has limited mobility issues. She can not do stairs and can only walk short distances without assistance.

I would rather not spend much over $100 per night if at all possible.

We will need at least one night pre-cruise since I don't like flying in the day of.

I haven't decided yet if we are flying or driving from Central Ohio to Boston. Part of the decision would include our decision about hotels and our transportation options to get to the port if we fly in.

Can you please help with transportation and hotel suggestions?

I just noticed that you are asking for 2013 - way too soon to look at hotel prices. However, looking at 2012 I can see that you would expect to pay $200+ per room on Hotwire and even more if you book directly.

Right now I'd focus on how you will deal with your mom's mobility issues. Does she use a walker, a scooter, or a wheelchair/transport chair? Given the distances on the ship alone she will surely need one or several of these devices. Check the disabilities board for more advice and suggestions. Have you booked a handicapped room on your ship? You should certainly do this if you are going to have equipment in your cabin.

When I cruised with my mother who also had mobility issues, we went from a walker with a seat to a scooter to a transport chair. Mom didn't do well with a scooter on the ship and ultimately the transport chair was wonderful for her.

If you fly into Boston, you can definitely get assistance at the airport and can probably find a more reasonable aiport hotel in Revere or Saugus. If you drive, you may be able to find a hotel in the $100 range in the Waltham or Burlington area outside the city.

I just noticed that you are asking for 2013 - way too soon to look at hotel prices. However, looking at 2012 I can see that you would expect to pay $200+ per room on Hotwire and even more if you book directly.

Right now I'd focus on how you will deal with your mom's mobility issues. Does she use a walker, a scooter, or a wheelchair/transport chair? Given the distances on the ship alone she will surely need one or several of these devices. Check the disabilities board for more advice and suggestions. Have you booked a handicapped room on your ship? You should certainly do this if you are going to have equipment in your cabin.

When I cruised with my mother who also had mobility issues, we went from a walker with a seat to a scooter to a transport chair. Mom didn't do well with a scooter on the ship and ultimately the transport chair was wonderful for her.

If you fly into Boston, you can definitely get assistance at the airport and can probably find a more reasonable aiport hotel in Revere or Saugus. If you drive, you may be able to find a hotel in the $100 range in the Waltham or Burlington area outside the city.

I knew I could count on you for good info. You have helped me in the past with plans for other locations - thanks for always being around to help.

I read in one of your other posts that Sept and Oct sometimes book up due to sporting events, and that was why I wanted to be ready to book as soon as the 2013 rates opened up.

How bad will it be to drive to the cruise port around 10am on a Friday? I've worked in the Boston area and know that traffic can get bad on Friday afternoon, but I have never dealt with driving in to work on a Friday morning. Most of my work has been farther out, like Waltham and Bedford.

My mom has a handicapped room (part of the reason we booked extremely early). On our Alaska cruise 6 years ago, she used a push wheelchair, but there were more of us to help back then since my kids were also along on the trip. She also was a bit more mobile back then. She does not use any help on a regular basis. She uses the scooters when she shops and has rented a scooter each time she went to Disney World. I'm recommending that she book one for the cruise as well.

I did post on the CC boards (both NCL and disabilities) to get more specific info on NCL and disabilities, but I thought you might have better info on the port of Boston and how long she will have to walk/stand until she gets to the rental scooter in her cabin if that is the route we choose to go.

Unfortunately, a walker doesn't work well for her since she also has problems with her left arm. What is the difference between a scooter and a transport chair. Since she is already comfy with a scooter, it shouldn't be a problem unless the Dawn is not designed well for them.

Thanks for all your help. :)

A transport chair is a very light weight wheelchair which can be propelled by the person in the chair "walking" their feet along or by someone else pushing it. One of the reasons it is light is that it doesn't have the large side wheels that allow the person in it to push it with their hands.

Driving to the cruiseport at 10AM on a Friday should be no problem. 9AM wouldn't be much fun, but by 10 you'll be fine.

Priceline is the only way you'll get Boston under $100, and then you won't be somewhere where you can walk to attractions -- it will require the 'T' or a cab.

Thanks all. How friendly would the T be for my mom if she can't do stairs? Is it simply a step on and step off?

If we drive into Boston for some touring before or after the cruise, how much can we expect to pay for parking, somewhere close to public transportation?

I usually like to get to the cruise port by 11, so coming in at 10 should work well for us.

Thanks all. How friendly would the T be for my mom if she can't do stairs? Is it simply a step on and step off?

If we drive into Boston for some touring before or after the cruise, how much can we expect to pay for parking, somewhere close to public transportation?

I usually like to get to the cruise port by 11, so coming in at 10 should work well for us.

Subway (underground) is step on straight across. Most stations have elevators. Check the T website to be sure. Also check the "elevators/escalators out of order" section on the site, as it's very common to have this problem.

Parking in the city is very expensive. There's only one garage under $20 for 2-3 hours (and $25 and up/day) that I know of, and that one is full very early. Street parking (meters) are often available, @ $1.25/hour. Very good deal . . . if you can find one. Most take credit cards as well (bunched "muni-meters").

Hi Ann,

A few of the ladies at water aerobics are going on the Spirit Feb 19, 2012 which made me wonder what you have been upto. Hope things are going good for you and family. Taylor got married and is expecting in March. Glad we took her when we had the chance.

Hi Ann,

A few of the ladies at water aerobics are going on the Spirit Feb 19, 2012 which made me wonder what you have been upto. Hope things are going good for you and family. Taylor got married and is expecting in March. Glad we took her when we had the chance.

Hey Big D,

We thought about you when we went through New Mexico in August. I hope the wedding went well. Congrats on the new family member on the way.

Ron and I are doing great. Both kids are in college now, so we are waiting until May so we can take them both on a Bermuda cruise with us. I want to get as many family vacations in together as we can. They grow up so fast.

In 2013, we are doing our first Back-2-Back to Canada from Boston. That is why I started this thread. I have wanted to do this cruise for a very long time and am really excited about it.

It sounds like the scooter will be fine for your mom on the ship, but what are you going to do in each of the ports? You need to do some research to see what might suit for someone with mobility issues.

I would still recommend getting a wheelchair or a transport chair. Even though Boston has handicapped access at many T stations, that doesn't translate into mobility access. Getting on a subway is the least of your problems - it's getting from the street to the subway that can involve a fair amount of walking. Also, the Green Line is a trolley with steps - I'm not sure how that is handled for handicapped access.

What ports are you stopping at? A scooter on shore can be an issue - where are you going to go with a scooter other than the immediate port area? You can't just leave it on the dock while you go off in a cab and you will need a special vehicle to take it along. With a wheelchair or transport chair, you can get your mom to a cab and throw the chair in the trunk and go off sightseeing. Or you can even rent a car and drive around yourself.

Both my mom and I loved the transport chair - it was light weight and easy to push. I was able to ensure that Mom got everywhere she wanted to go both on and off the ship.

I would still recommend getting a wheelchair or a transport chair. Even though Boston has handicapped access at many T stations, that doesn't translate into mobility access. Getting on a subway is the least of your problems - it's getting from the street to the subway that can involve a fair amount of walking. Also, the Green Line is a trolley with steps - I'm not sure how that is handled for handicapped access.

Green Line has the newer cars (one on each train) that are low boarding, and have ramps that extend down. It takes about 2 minutes, but very easy to board a wheelchair, above or below ground.

Archived