Mariner Drydock, whats she having done?

welshrich

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][B]Mariner of the Seas*
Enchantment of the Seas*[/B]
[B]Independence of the Seas* [/B]

[SIZE=1]* Less extensive enhancements planned.[/SIZE]
It's possible they will do some enhancements this April before the TA and then do more in 2013-2014. [/COLOR][/FONT]

A drydock is done to perform "outside things". Not to say they don't do other stuff, like replace bedding or furniture, but reason for the drydock is to gain access to the ships hull and propulsion. Why do you need to take a ship "out of the water" to add touch screens and wi fi?

I ask again, why do we think that anything will be done in April other than cleaning and painting the hull, and other standard drydock maintenance?

The Royal Advantage program (refurbishment effort for all ships) shows a schedule, and I believe they will hold pretty close to that schedule. If anything, they may delay some of the ships.

[quote name='PeterPan']A drydock is done to perform "outside things". Not to say they don't do other stuff, like replace bedding or furniture, but reason for the drydock is to gain access to the ships hull and propulsion. Why do you need to take a ship "out of the water" to add touch screens and wi fi?

I ask again, why do we think that anything will be done in April other than cleaning and painting the hull, and other standard drydock maintenance?

The Royal Advantage program (refurbishment effort for all ships) shows a schedule, and I believe they will hold pretty close to that schedule. If anything, they may delay some of the ships.

Where did I say that they are taking the ship out of the water to add WI-FI?. I know what the purpose of a dry dock is!!I've been to quite some captain's corner. But once the ship is idle and outside work is being done, they will really take the opportunity to add certain things on the inside that can better be done when there are no pax onboard.

[quote name='Topo Gigio']Where did I say that they are taking the ship out of the water to add WI-FI?. I know what the purpose of a dry dock is!!I've been to quite some captain's corner. But once the ship is idle and outside work is being done, they will really take the opportunity to add certain things on the inside that can better be done when there are no pax onboard.[/quote]

Calm down there! :D My point is that while they often do "inside"
things during a drydock, a drydock is not required for those items. The main focus of drydock is below the water line.

They may very well add wi fi in April. I'm still wondering why some (not necessarily you) believe that April will be the refurbishment effort instead of the scheduled time of sometime 2013-2014. I do believe if they were going to add new features, Mr. Goldstein would be speaking of it on his blog. Perhaps he hasn't gotten to it yet......

[quote name='PeterPan']Calm down there! :D My point is that while they often do "inside"
things during a drydock, a drydock is not required for those items. The main focus of drydock is below the water line.

They may very well add wi fi in April. I'm still wondering why some (not necessarily you) believe that April will be the refurbishment effort instead of the scheduled time of sometime 2013-2014. I do believe if they were going to add new features, Mr. Goldstein would be speaking of it on his blog. Perhaps he hasn't gotten to it yet......[/QUOTE]

Is my english so bad? I know that no major refurbishment will take place in April because I have seen the dry dock schedule and Mariner is one that won't get all the upgrades (at least not for now), however adding Wi-Fi for me is not a mayor upgrade and can be easily done. According to the dry dock schedules of the sister ships the refurbishment will take up to 3 weeks!

[quote name='Topo Gigio'][COLOR=red]Is my english so bad?[/COLOR] I know that no major refurbishment will take place in April because I have seen the dry dock schedule and Mariner is one that won't get all the upgrades (at least not for now), however adding Wi-Fi for me is not a mayor upgrade and can be easily done. According to the dry dock schedules of the sister ships the refurbishment will take up to 3 weeks![/quote]

Apparently, my english must be pretty bad. :p Why do you feel that I am attacking you in some way? :confused:

Wi Fi may not be a major upgrade. It does take some time to add the required hardware and wire it all in though. As I said, they may very well add it in April. It's certainly no deal breaker for me though.

[quote name='PeterPan']Apparently, my english must be pretty bad. :p Why do you feel that I am attacking you in some way? :confused:

Wi Fi may not be a major upgrade. It does take some time to add the required hardware and wire it all in though. As I said, they may very well add it in April. It's certainly no deal breaker for me though.[/QUOTE]

I never said and felt you were attacking me! what you said is that when in dry dock some cleaning will do on the inside and I totally disagree. Nine days in dry dock and you think that they will only do below the waterline?.....and some cleaning on the inside. Believe me although not a MAJOR refurbisment quite some work will be done on the inside as well.. if it's not the case I will give you a complimentary cruise on the Mariner and if it's the case you will give me a free cruise on one of my fav. ships;)

She will get more or less the same enhancements that both Freedom and Liberty got during their one week dry dock visit last year.

Technology overhaul: touchscreen around the ship, wi-fi improvement.

Outdoor movie screen at the pool

Rumors of changing Portofino into GT

wine dispensers

they might add Starbucks

Dedicated diamond lounge

Cabins might get flatscreen tv

None of the things I mentioned above I see a major refurbishment, but can easily be done during 9 days out of service.

[quote name='PeterPan']Well, I hope you are correct. No offense, but I disagree that all these things will happen in April.

Can we agree to disagree? :D[/QUOTE]

I think that they will try to do as much as possible to avoid that the ship has to be taken out of service again in a couple of year.Guess that Royal will come shortly with a press release what will be done during the dry dock.

[quote name='cruisingator2']I received an email yesterday from RCI stating that Rhapsody and Mariner were the next two ships up for the Royal Advantage upgrades.[/QUOTE]

Makes more sense according to me. 9 days at dry dock you will try to do as much as possible...

[QUOTE]but small things like touch screens [B][COLOR=red]and WI-FI[/COLOR][/B] [/QUOTE]

Having just done a Wi-Fi system in a new manufacturing plant I have to make a side note that this is not exactly easy or quick. Aside from - setting up the wireless controller(s) and coordinating with the rest of the network (probably setting up a VLAN dedicated to passenger Wi-Fi and whatever QoS standards are to be met) and then setting up PoE switches in various locations to drive the Access Points and then tuning the access points to assure coverage - not to mention running several miles of Cat-5e cables (with perhaps some fiber backbone between switches) in hidden cableways - then sure it's all real easily done. ;)

Our new plant has many "bays" with concrete block walls and steel between them necessitating many access points but nothing like a ship. On a ship with many steel fire breaks and water compartments this would multiply the number of APs needed - each requiring a fair amount of time to install, not to mention running cable to them. Short of devoting a small army of technicians it could take several weeks.

[quote name='Sequim88']Having just done a Wi-Fi system in a new manufacturing plant I have to make a side note that this is not exactly easy or quick. Aside from - setting up the wireless controller(s) and coordinating with the rest of the network (probably setting up a VLAN dedicated to passenger Wi-Fi and whatever QoS standards are to be met) and then setting up PoE switches in various locations to drive the Access Points and then tuning the access points to assure coverage - not to mention running several miles of Cat-5e cables (with perhaps some fiber backbone between switches) in hidden cableways - then sure it's all real easily done. ;)

Our new plant has many "bays" with concrete block walls and steel between them necessitating many access points but nothing like a ship. On a ship with many steel fire breaks and water compartments this would multiply the number of APs needed - each requiring a fair amount of time to install, not to mention running cable to them. Short of devoting a small army of technicians it could take several weeks.[/QUOTE]

But they did it last year on the Freedom and Liberty during their 1 week dry dock, so it's possible.

Freedom and Liberty may have been "pre-structured" with Wi-Fi to all cabins in mind. Might have even been pre-wired waiting for upgraded satellite service that can handle the increased volume. It's one thing to have a few inconvenient hot spots scattered around and another to have a signal available in every cabin. There was another thread awhile back about a new satellite service with expanded capacity so that may have been the trigger for Freedom & Liberty. If they pre-wired then they would have probably have allowed space for placement of the switches too. A lot of the work could have been done already. Freedom is several years newer than Mariner.

I just did a SWAG (technical term ;)) for Mariner and based on the deck plans I would anticipate 160 new Access Points and 23 switches for the passenger decks. Allowing for firedoor and hard internal bulkhead locations. Figuring a couple man hours per AP and four hours per switch (both including running all new wiring) it comes up to 10 man weeks. So put 10 people on it and it might get done in a week IF there is nothing else going on like plumbing repairs, carpeting in hallways, furniture moving out of and into cabins and all the other general refurb activies (not Royal Advantage level - just a polish up). Even with crews working 24X7 there would be scehdule issues doing all the decks at the same time.

I would love to see cabin Wi-FI on our post-drydock cruise but I am not counting on it. Even if they use the whole 2 weeks of down-time.

Another thought.... Mariner completes last pre-DD cruise on April 15. Figuring 2 days to get to Bahamas DD would start the 17th? Then 9 days is scheduled in dock right? Leaving 3-4 days for shakedown (try out new stabilizer) and to get to Miami. Will Mariner get to Miami well before the morning of the 1st so that unlike a normal turnaround day it can be provisioned and new crewed boarded prior to the Trans-Atlantic? Sort of wondering if passenger boarding is any different (earlier?) post dry dock and maybe we can go straight to our already clean cabin before looking for lunch.

[quote name='Sequim88']Freedom and Liberty may have been "pre-structured" with Wi-Fi to all cabins in mind. Might have even been pre-wired waiting for upgraded satellite service that can handle the increased volume. It's one thing to have a few inconvenient hot spots scattered around and another to have a signal available in every cabin. There was another thread awhile back about a new satellite service with expanded capacity so that may have been the trigger for Freedom & Liberty. If they pre-wired then they would have probably have allowed space for placement of the switches too. A lot of the work could have been done already. Freedom is several years newer than Mariner.

I just did a SWAG (technical term ;)) for Mariner and based on the deck plans I would anticipate 160 new Access Points and 23 switches for the passenger decks. Allowing for firedoor and hard internal bulkhead locations. Figuring a couple man hours per AP and four hours per switch (both including running all new wiring) it comes up to 10 man weeks. So put 10 people on it and it might get done in a week IF there is nothing else going on like plumbing repairs, carpeting in hallways, furniture moving out of and into cabins and all the other general refurb activies (not Royal Advantage level - just a polish up). Even with crews working 24X7 there would be scehdule issues doing all the decks at the same time.

I would love to see cabin Wi-FI on our post-drydock cruise but I am not counting on it. Even if they use the whole 2 weeks of down-time.

Another thought.... Mariner completes last pre-DD cruise on April 15. Figuring 2 days to get to Bahamas DD would start the 17th? Then 9 days is scheduled in dock right? Leaving 3-4 days for shakedown (try out new stabilizer) and to get to Miami. Will Mariner get to Miami well before the morning of the 1st so that unlike a normal turnaround day it can be provisioned and new crewed boarded prior to the Trans-Atlantic? Sort of wondering if passenger boarding is any different (earlier?) post dry dock and maybe we can go straight to our already clean cabin before looking for lunch.[/QUOTE]

No her last cruise pre dry dock is on April 15, so will be back in Galveston on the 22nd.

Since there are no passengers disembarking in Miami, my guess is that most cabins will be readily available.

[QUOTE]No her last cruise pre dry dock is on April 15, so will be back in Galveston on the 22nd.
[/QUOTE]

I took another look at the cruise calendar. Yup, since the calendar shows 1st to 15th and "next 15 days" the sailing on the 15th was a little "blip" on the line that I missed.

So, it lets people off on 22nd and sails for Bahamas. Two days in transit (1,200 st. miles so 1,040 nautical / 22kts = 47 hrs)? So arrives around the 24th and they start emptying the dock. Then needs part of a day (the 30th) to sail to (after refilling the tub) so effective time in DD is 5-6 days? Less if they go test the stabilzer before heading to Miami. Not a lot of time. Sure above water things can be worked on in transit if they have the materials, equipment and people ready to load at Galveston.

[quote name='Sequim88']I took another look at the cruise calendar. Yup, since the calendar shows 1st to 15th and "next 15 days" the sailing on the 15th was a little "blip" on the line that I missed.

So, it lets people off on 22nd and sails for Bahamas. Two days in transit (1,200 st. miles so 1,040 nautical / 22kts = 47 hrs)? So arrives around the 24th and they start emptying the dock. Then needs part of a day (the 30th) to sail to (after refilling the tub) so effective time in DD is 5-6 days? Less if they go test the stabilzer before heading to Miami. Not a lot of time. Sure above water things can be worked on in transit if they have the materials, equipment and people ready to load at Galveston.[/quote]

Yes, and that timeline is why I don't believe we will see much in the way of enhancements during this drydock.

As someone who is also involved in the communcations design and installation world, I would never sign up to install a wi fi system in 6 days. :eek: Incidently, in Adam's blog, he answers questions from January. One was concerning the Royal Advantage program. He states all 5 Voyager class ships will get enhancements installed in 2013-2014. This is the same schedule that is on the website.

So, my opinion is still that this drydock is not about installaing any enhancements, but is about routine hull maintenance and repair. I reserve the right to change my mind in the future!:D:p

[quote name='Topo Gigio']What else will the Mariner get during her next dry dock?[/quote]

The email did not say but Adam does mention in his latest blog that the Mariner will be gaining the Royal Tot's nursery this year along with Rhapsody and Granduer.

Here is what the email stated along with some other stuff about a sale.

NEWS ABOUT OUR NEWLY RENNOVATED FLEET [IMG]http://image.royalcaribbeanmarketing.com/lib/fe931570716d007b71/m/3/23_spacer.gif[/IMG]Starting on March 29th, there will be more to love on [URL="http://click.royalcaribbeanmarketing.com/?qs=bd9ab2ca85799fe566930b9fcb45c0763cc017eebea888b75da672720b9419b9b07c064cb9e8718e"]Rhapsody of the Seas[/URL]® as she will be renovated with more dining options, a nursery, flat-screen TVs and more! [IMG]http://image.royalcaribbeanmarketing.com/lib/fe931570716d007b71/m/3/23_spacer.gif[/IMG][URL="http://click.royalcaribbeanmarketing.com/?qs=1281a97336dbf87a19673dd8e7783ebaddab7072dfded3c0d79de6b1532d233a536eca4191c18dfb"][IMG]http://image.royalcaribbeanmarketing.com/lib/fe931570716d007b71/m/4/3E_ny_btnReserve.jpg[/IMG][/URL][IMG]http://image.royalcaribbeanmarketing.com/lib/fe931570716d007b71/m/3/23_spacer.gif[/IMG]No ship will go untouched and Mariner and Grandeur of the Seas® are up next. [URL="http://click.royalcaribbeanmarketing.com/?qs=bd9ab2ca85799fe5a0b1a1246bdb64855f76bc1afe66e59e1a5fa60d6cf9d6aca0ca3e705d100cf0"]Keep up to date here[/URL].

I am also on the May 1 T/A immediately after the DD. I emailed RCCL a few weeks ago asking what was going to be done during the DD. The response was that it was their policy not to say.

Based on the short period of time I don't expect to see any major refurbishment so I doubt the reports of the new restaurants, etc.

In addition to the obvious work on the hull and stabilizer(s) I betting they are replacing carpet, worn mattresses, worn upholstery, and repainting where needed.

Clearly they also could replace slot machines with newer ones at this time also.

Also possible would be updating the Tv's in the rooms to flat screens.

Much more than this would require more than the few days they will have.

• 3 weeks later...
Wish they were not so tight lipped on what's happening. It was like pulling hens teeeth to get them to confirm the Giovanni's Table change when reservations stopped being available for Portofino. Guess they could not hide that very well.

If the iPod dock is true it would save us packing the weight of our portable speakers. What harm in letting people know that before they prepare for the cruise?

Also wondering where Rita's would go and what would go away to make room. Half of Jade? Arcade space? The Living Room? Fuel Teen Disco? Johnny Rockets?

Archived