Driving from nh

bballmom21

What's your budget? Date - Sept 26? I'm assuming you don't want to go over to NJ and pay the $12 toll to get back.

Realistically, there's not much that's "reasonable" within a 1/2 hour. I would suggest looking at the Stamford/Greenwich area on Hotwire. I've done Hotwire in Stamford several times - when you post your date, I will look. This will put you about an hour from the pier. If you leave between 9:30 and 10 am, you should get there quickly without a lot of traffic.

Do you have the cars only directions through NYC to the pier?

I'm not seeing much on Hotwire for that date. I've gotten the Hampton Inn twice on Hotwire and was very satisfied. Older hotel, but big rooms. Covered garage. Fronts on a little river. Free breakfast. It's showing at $109, which is more than I paid on Hotwire, but still within your budget. We have relatives in Westchester and Greenwich, and it seems like we are always looking for a place to crash in that area.

Here are the general directions. When you decide where you're staying, I can tell you how to do it. Most hotels are along I95, but if you stay in CT, you can easily cut over to the Hutch at I287 at the Rye/Greenwich line. Where are you coming from in NH? I live 20 min from Nashua.

Mass pike rt 90 to Rt 84 south to 91 south exit 17 to W Cross Parkway, which becomes Merritt Pkwy to the Hutchinson River Pkwy (Merritt renamed in NY) at I287 at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($4 toll). Take the GW bridge and get in the middle left lane to get on I80 west to the NJ Turnpike. On the turnpike follow the first set of signs to the Lincoln Tunnel (this puts you on the eastern turnpike spur), but don't get off at the real Lincoln Tunnel exit 3 miles later. Stay on the turnpike and follow the signs to exit 14A in Bayonne. Go directly across the toll plaza and take the up ramp that curves left. Stay to the right and bear right at every opportunity until you reach the traffic light at route 440. Make a left, stay left, and make the first left turn onto Port Terminal Blvd.

I'm not seeing much on Hotwire for that date. I've gotten the Hampton Inn twice on Hotwire and was very satisfied. Older hotel, but big rooms. Covered garage. Fronts on a little river. Free breakfast. It's showing at $109, which is more than I paid on Hotwire, but still within your budget. We have relatives in Westchester and Greenwich, and it seems like we are always looking for a place to crash in that area.

Here are the general directions. When you decide where you're staying, I can tell you how to do it. Most hotels are along I95, but if you stay in CT, you can easily cut over to the Hutch at I287 at the Rye/Greenwich line. Where are you coming from in NH? I live 20 min from Nashua.

Mass pike rt 90 to Rt 84 south to 91 south exit 17 to W Cross Parkway, which becomes Merritt Pkwy to the Hutchinson River Pkwy (Merritt renamed in NY) at I287 at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($4 toll). Take the GW bridge and get in the middle left lane to get on I80 west to the NJ Turnpike. On the turnpike follow the first set of signs to the Lincoln Tunnel (this puts you on the eastern turnpike spur), but don't get off at the real Lincoln Tunnel exit 3 miles later. Stay on the turnpike and follow the signs to exit 14A in Bayonne. Go directly across the toll plaza and take the up ramp that curves left. Stay to the right and bear right at every opportunity until you reach the traffic light at route 440. Make a left, stay left, and make the first left turn onto Port Terminal Blvd.

Isn't this to the New Jersey terminal? OP is going to Manhattan terminal. To do that, I'd follow all your directions up to the "Take the GW bridge" -- instead, stay on 9 (West Side Highway) which brings you right to the Manhattan terminal.

The Manhattan Cruise Terminal is in the west 50's in Manhattan at the end of the Henry Hudson Parkway. You do not want to go to NJ on the GW Bridge. Sorry about that - I cruise out of Bayonne and without thinking I just cut and pasted the directions for the cars only route through NYC to Bayonne.

Norwalk is further away - just east of Stamford - still within striking distance.

Please take a look at a map. If you get a hotel on I95 in CT, it is REALLY important to cut back to the Merritt/Hutchinson River Parkway to get on the cars only route. YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE I95 THROUGH NY. This is the infamous Cross Bronx Expressway - a major truck route that is known for its traffic backups and accidents. If you have a GPS or use Mapquest, it always seems to want to put you on I95 in NY. So be prepared and know exactly where you are going to avoid I95 in NY.

The Manhattan Cruise Terminal is in the west 50's in Manhattan at the end of the Henry Hudson Parkway. You do not want to go to NJ on the GW Bridge. Sorry about that - I cruise out of Bayonne and without thinking I just cut and pasted the directions for the cars only route through NYC to Bayonne.

Norwalk is further away - just east of Stamford - still within striking distance.

Please take a look at a map. If you get a hotel on I95 in CT, it is REALLY important to cut back to the Merritt/Hutchinson River Parkway to get on the cars only route. YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE I95 THROUGH NY. This is the infamous Cross Bronx Expressway - a major truck route that is known for its traffic backups and accidents. If you have a GPS or use Mapquest, it always seems to want to put you on I95 in NY. So be prepared and know exactly where you are going to avoid I95 in NY.

agreed. one easy way to get back to the hutchinson river parkway would be to take I-95 south to just south of the CT/NY border and get off at exit 21 (I-287 west) and follow I-287 west to the hutchinson river parkway south.

Will the HRPArkway take us to the pier or should we be looking for another route? Do you know how long it would take from Stamford on a Sunday am?

from stamford i'd say you are looking at about an hours drive. you take the hutchinson river parkway south to exit 15 (Cross County Parkway west). follow the cross county (staying left) to exit 2 (saw mill Pkwy south). the saw mill parkway will become the henry hudson parkway (rte 9A). follow the henry hudson parkway to the end at which point simply follow the signs and turn right into the pier.

Archived