Comentary from the Bridge

A&G

Did your bridge or captain provide any comantary or announce landmarks, whale pods, dolpins etc? On a recent RCL cruise there was nothing but I have heard that it depends on the ship and the particular captain.

Alan

It has been quite a few years ago that we sailed on the Dawn Princess, but I do recall the captain making announcements about passing islands, encountering an area known for rough seas, etc.

On the other hand my mother was sailing in the Carribbean with another cruiseline and she didn't hear a single announcement from the captain. At one point it would have been reassuring to hear from him because they were encountering a violent storm that was the outer edge of a hurricane. :eek:

It all depends on the Captain. If you get an Italian Captain, they are more likely to leave announcements to the Officer of the Watch. If you get a British Captain then they will make an announcement at noon every sea day and keep passengers updated with weather /local information.

Captain Nash on the Caribbean Princess made several humorous announcements daily, including one joke asking for passengers to return the sand brought onboard after the day in Princess Cays!!!

At noon you are likely to recieve information regarding the ships position, sea conditions, weather and arrival times for the next port of call. P&O Officers also did a daily 'nautical anecdote', where they explained the origins of some nautical terms (i.e. knowing the ropes, son of a gun, cold enough to freeze the ball of a brass monkey).

Hope this helps!

On a HAL cruise last year, the captain was excellent about keeping us informed. The ship was the Maasdam but I don't remember the captain's name. This was the first time in 8 cruises that we heard regular comments from the captain. Every night at dinner, he would speak to us. He would give us the sea conditions for our sail to the next island and what to expect in the days to come including temperatures. He would always say"This is your captain speaking. This is an update on where we are and where we are going." It was really great and I sure hope that our captain on the Island next week will do something similar.

Should you be lucky enough to have Captain Andy Proctor as Master on your trip, you will get quite a few announcements from the bridge, interspesed with a lot of dry British humor.

In my opinion, he is one of the more personable Princess Masters. We have had him on both Royal Princess and Golden Princess. Not sure wher he might be at the moment.

Legend capt made obligatory daily noon announcement and we got a guest comentator for the passage through the Panama canal but I was refering more to things such as a pod of whales, dolphines and sea turtles or the like. Some guests saw whales if they were looking in the right spot at the right time but most of us missed them all.

Dawn Princess last spring - Officer of the Watch made tons of announcements about weather, passing other islands, docking and sailing information, and times.

Caribbean Princess last summer - hardly any news from the bridge other than instructions for when we docked and when we were setting sail.

Diamond Princess (January) - whale/dolphin announcements, port announcements.

"Freak wave right ahead"

"AAAAHHH"

"Hold on Steubing"

"Good morning Norwegian Dawn"

"That was some whale we just hit"

"This is going to be a bad day"

"Who put that wave there?"

"Thanks for riding the Norwegian Dawn, please keep all arms and legs inside the ship at all times. Do not ride the Norwegian Dawn if you have had surgery, heart problems, or are pregnant. Have a nice day."

"Freak wave right ahead"

"AAAAHHH"

"Hold on Steubing"

"Good morning Norwegian Dawn"

"That was some whale we just hit"

"This is going to be a bad day"

"Who put that wave there?"

"Thanks for riding the Norwegian Dawn' date=' please keep all arms and legs inside the ship at all times. Do not ride the Norwegian Dawn if you have had surgery, heart problems, or are pregnant. Have a nice day."[/quote']

Add to those "You may get wet on this ride". :eek:

I've forgotten which (Italian) Captain and which ship this was, but I remember hearing the noon reports of "our navigational problems." It was very disconcerting, and I couldn't figure out why nobody but me seemed alarmed by the fact that we were completely adrift and lost at sea. I finally figured out he was talking about "our navigational progress."

I think some or more chatty than others, but it seems like Princess Captains generally give announcements periodically.

Our captain on the Feb 19 Mexican Riviera Diamond Princess (an English gentlemen and I can't recall his name though I met him and had a nice chat with him in the elevator) did make announcements when we saw whales, dolphins, and did comment on some of the land we passed. He wasn't overly chatty but he did point out what I did want to know about.

Archived