Travel Warnings

Excited7

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/02/25/22-tourists-robbed-in-mexico-bus-assault/

I guess someone forgot to inform the robbers that "if it wasn't safe, Carnival wouldn't sail there". Over 95% of crime in Mexico is unsolved; any comparisons to what goes on in the US are baseless. Use common sense, heed warnings, make informed decisions and disregard comments such as "I was there and I felt perfectly safe."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/02/25/22-tourists-robbed-in-mexico-bus-assault/

I guess someone forgot to inform the robbers that "if it wasn't safe, Carnival wouldn't sail there". Over 95% of crime in Mexico is unsolved; any comparisons to what goes on in the US are baseless. Use common sense, heed warnings, make informed decisions and disregard comments such as "I was there and I felt perfectly safe."

What is the source of your 95% unsolved crime statistic. Since these figures are not readily available in the USA, I doubt thet Mexico has the numbers.

I believe those who are looking for information should also disregard scare statistics and make their own decisions regarding the amount of risk they deem is applicable to the region of Mexico they are considering.

I think it all comes fown to common sense and being aware of your surroundings.There willalwaysbe crime, but not making yourself a target really helps.

Don't be flashy,stickto the beaten path, stay in groups. You need to practice the same thing in the US as well. For warnings, check out this site

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html

we've been to PVR twice on land in the past 2 yrs. no problems. but this braisen attack on the tour bus has made us realize it really isn't safe. i had plans to go in december but will looks elsewhere......what a shame.

Recheck the news stories. It is now reported that it was a single gunman on a trail. To me a single gunman can do anything anywhere. Much less brazen than a group of banditos with automatic weapons robbing a bus as was originally reported.

Recheck the news stories. It is now reported that it was a single gunman on a trail. To me a single gunman can do anything anywhere. Much less brazen than a group of banditos with automatic weapons robbing a bus as was originally reported.

The fact remains, though, that the incident took place in an area where the level of criminal activity against tourists has been typical ... nothing out of the ordinary. That the attack didn't take place on a bus and that only one attacker may have been involved ... doesn't minimize the terror the victims felt. The incident will reverberate for months to come, probably into next year ... amongst persons thinking about stopping in Vallarta and/or going on one of the excursions. The often maligned international "media" has done an excellent job correcting the earlier confused reports coming from the Mexican press.

The problem with this entire safety discussion is when folks want to speak in "absolutes" and demand guarantees. So, as a confirmed Mexico lover (we live in PV 2 months a year) and not somebody invested in Mexican real estate (we rent a condo) here is the reality. Yes, some tourists have been victims in tourist resorts (and resort cities) and it even happens in PV. In fact, 3 years ago a condo renter in the Romantic Zone (southside, old town etc etc) was stabbed to death inside his condo at night when he caught a burglar. There have been a few other killings in the area (we know of at least 1 near Bucierias), but most were related to druggies (not innocent tourists). We personally feel very safe in PV (much safer then at home) and have seen nothing this past winter (we just returned home from 2 months in PV) to alter that opinion (already booked for next winter).

Now to be perfectly balanced with this post, we do have some concerns about the future in PV and Mexico and will certainly keep a close eye on the news and any changes. One unfortunate problem with PV is that there seems to be a major effort on the part of the local government (and many posters on the internet) to either minimize or cover-up nasty incidents. On the other hand, there is also a tendency of the news media to mis-report incidents and exaggerate things (such as the reporting on the recent robbery of the Carnival passengers). But the real info is out there for those willing to do a little research.

Hank

The problem with this entire safety discussion is when folks want to speak in "absolutes" and demand guarantees. So, as a confirmed Mexico lover (we live in PV 2 months a year) and not somebody invested in Mexican real estate (we rent a condo) here is the reality. Yes, some tourists have been victims in tourist resorts (and resort cities) and it even happens in PV. In fact, 3 years ago a condo renter in the Romantic Zone (southside, old town etc etc) was stabbed to death inside his condo at night when he caught a burglar. There have been a few other killings in the area (we know of at least 1 near Bucierias), but most were related to druggies (not innocent tourists). We personally feel very safe in PV (much safer then at home) and have seen nothing this past winter (we just returned home from 2 months in PV) to alter that opinion (already booked for next winter).

Now to be perfectly balanced with this post, we do have some concerns about the future in PV and Mexico and will certainly keep a close eye on the news and any changes. One unfortunate problem with PV is that there seems to be a major effort on the part of the local government (and many posters on the internet) to either minimize or cover-up nasty incidents. On the other hand, there is also a tendency of the news media to mis-report incidents and exaggerate things (such as the reporting on the recent robbery of the Carnival passengers). But the real info is out there for those willing to do a little research.

Hank

Wow, your last paragraph is one of the more balanced statements I've read. I love PV as well. I only travel there on cruises but have been 8 or 9 times (lost count). However, I'm like you, I will continue to keep an eye on things and try to use my best judgement when deciding to visit again.

At the end of this month a major convention re tourism will take place in Puerto vallarta. Thousands of people attending will come and visit Puerto Vallarta.http://visitpuertovallarta.com/news/2012/03/mexico-tourism-tianguis-2012-in-puerto-vallarta-events/

Apart from that in September last year the Pan American games were held in Guadalajara with some parts - sailing, beachvolleyball etc. taken place in Puerto Vallarta. All was one big festivity without any problems.

Of course like in any place in the world tourists should be aware what they are doing or wearing, but in general this place is still very safe.

It is so much fun to see people dancing on the mainsquare on Sundaynight and the great show after that at the arches. Many people come and enjoy, locals and tourists.

Hank

Well said. Thank you.

Just returned from a 9 day MR cruise on the Spirit. We had NO trouble in any port, but we did have armed soldiers at both ends of the ship while it was in port at Manzanillo. Again, however, there was no hint of any problem anywhere in the ports.

Archived