Advice on Bev Package

CarolinaMamma

I know this has been discussed to death and I have read the many helpful threads and drink price lists, but could use some more information on the various "tastings" offered during cocktail hour to help us make our decision.

It looks like these tastings are offered just about every day, and are not included in the Bev package, but they are exactly the kind of thing we would love to do. We love sampling new things. How much do they generally cost? Do they offer many unusual things that we may not have tried?

At home we do not drink much, maybe 2 drinks per WEEK, but a cruise definitely puts one in a festive mood, so we will probably drink more. When we do drink, we like top shelf cocktails and martinis (dh also likes craft beers) so if we were to buy an alcohol package, premium would be the only way to go.

I can see us going through lots of bottled water and probably 2 specialty coffee drinks each per day, then maybe 2 or 3 higher end drinks in the evening. If we do the tastings, though, then maybe only one drink after that. We will not be up late partying, nor will we want to be completely toasted at any time, because we will be cruising with our kids.

We currently have the standard non-alcoholic package. The only non-alcoholic drink not included that I would like is Pellegrino. Wondering if we should upgrade to premium alcoholic or just go a la carte and do the various tastings offered.

I like the idea of feeling like we are on an all-inclusive vacation and not stressing over the bar bill, but I do think we may be at risk of not getting our money's worth out of the premium Bev package.

Any info about what we might expect from the happy hour tastings would be appreciated.

You didn't mention if you enjoy wine with your meals, and a glass or 2 can be included in your bev package (but not by the bottle).

Like you, we don't get sloppy, but we do go through lots of water, a morning coffee, afternoon tea, a cocktail or two before dinner, and a glass of wine with dinner. For the two of us, having the premium package just made sense (even the bottled water is pretty expensive, and we don't care for well liquors). Also, consider with the package that you can order any drink you want at any time (you don't have to wait for the daily tasting).

Another suggestion that I'll offer is to carry some $1 bills with you. Lock them in your safe and take a few when you leave the cabin. With each drink, bottled water, or anything, give the server a $1 per drink. I know that you pay the gratuity in advance for the entire cruise and a gratuity with your bev package, but you would be amazed how quickly you will get served. After the evening show, the bar would be full, but the bartender knew us and made a point to seek us out first. Bribery? Yes. Incentive? Most certainly.

Most of all, have fun!:D

Hi CarolinaMomma,

RE - Tipping Extra

Alternatively, you could forget all the 1 dollar bills being "sprinkled about" here and there, and just see who just really wants to do their job for you "consistently" time and time again, without seeking a grat to do so.

The 15% Tip has already been paid when you order any of the Beverage Packages...

In our case, we quickly found "our bar" a place where we loved to hang out be it after a shore excursion, or for a before dinner cocktail, or for a midnight chat after the late night comedy show... and a nightcap.

The Bartender there always made us feel welcome and did an amazing job... he got to know us, our tastes and preferences (making suggestions at times)... chit chatting about our day, and even giving us tips on our next visit ashore.

The Last Night of our cruise, we (and the other couple we travelled with) went out of our way to make sure he knew we appreciated his efforts... we both filled in Detail to Service Cards on him (cheery - friendly - welcoming - goes the extra mile, without expecting anything in return etc)... AND most importantly those $ 1 bills that would have been "sprinkled" about elsewhere over the course of our cruise, came together for him into a nice EXTRA Tip... a fairly significant amount from each couple. They were of course, discretely tucked into a Thank You Note (Celebrity Note Paper & Envelopes are available from Guest Relations)... as we didn't want to embarass him. BUT, I am sure he guessed there was money in the envelope when we handed it to him ... he was very gracious... and even gave us both a big hug when we left.

It is Bartenders (and Room Stewards, and Waiters, Sommeliers, and Officers) that make THIS what makes Celebrity so special... the whole idea of working for the customer "without" the need of a bribe... they do because "they want to"...

And that is what in then end, made choosing Celebrity again for our second cruise so easy.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

We have yet to go on our first Celebrity Cruise. I will drink alot of non-alchoholic drinks every day - speciality coffee, san pelligrino and bottled water. So I would definitely get my money's worth from the premium non alcohol package at $18 + gratuity. As far as alcoholic beverages, not that much, especially on a port day. And certainly not enough to = $36 difference. Maybe a two frozen drinks by the pool and a glass of wine with dinner. And I don't think the three of those will amount to $36.00. So, I'm going to buy my drinks ala carte. If after a day or so I find I'm drinking more, I'll change my package if possible.

Most people do the comparison saying, oh you drink all the non-alcohol stuff so it's worth it. Not really if you don't drink all that much. That being said, yes the all inclusive convenience has it's value.

Have fun!

If you add a drink package is there some way to apply a non cash tip to your order? We allways find one or two servers we like and tip well and have always enjoyed great service. As our upcoming cruise will be the first time we have used a drink package we are wondering how we accomplish this.

On our last Equinox cruise they had a wine and food pairing tasting. I believe it was $15 pp. I'm not entirely sure about the price but knowing myself - a bit of a cheapo- I don't think I would have gone if it had been more than that. What they did was to give everyone a plate with little nibbles of things like olives, different kinds of meat and cheeses, and chocolate. We tasted the food along with four or five different kinds of wine. Peter, the sommelier, made it a very fun time.

If you add a drink package is there some way to apply a non cash tip to your order? We allways find one or two servers we like and tip well and have always enjoyed great service. As our upcoming cruise will be the first time we have used a drink package we are wondering how we accomplish this.

HI AUNT DEBBA,

When you buy a Beverage Package, the regular 15% Gratuity is added onto the price of the Package at time of purchase.

If you want to tip EXTRA then this is what we found on the Solstice last month...

ALL the chits on board (for whatever one purchases) now seem to have an Extra Line printed on them marked ADDITIONAL TIP (in the case of a Bevvy Purchase... there is a clause stating that 15% Grats are already included into the price of all Beverages... but if you want to tip more you can)

Those amounts would then be added onto your Onboard Account that you settle up with the ship when you depart (by Credit Card - Cash - Travellers Cheque, etc)

As there has been some "recent" discussions regarding how monies are handled by Celebrity that are marked EXTRA and ending up in the General Tip Pool... if you want to reward a "specific member" of the Wait Staff then it is best to do so with CA$H... be that at the time of service, or by giving it to them at the end of a cruise with a Thank You (we did this for our favourite Bar Tender... giving him one lump sum, rather than a whole bunch of $ 1 Bills throughout the week)

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

I've cruised quite a bit. And I've gotten the beverage package since they were first offered. I never tip $1 extra per drink and the service I get is excellent. Do what you're comfortable with. If toward the end of a cruise I have a bartender that I think went above and beyond I'll hand him/her some cash.

As someone mentioned, do you drink wine w/ meals? 2 glasses of a higher end (up to $12) wine makes a difference in the value of the package. Also I think that the convenience and the ability to try something new and if I don't like it ... what the heck... adds value to the package.

Lastly, re chits and adding a tip to the bill when you sign. You don't get paper bills/chits w/ a package. At first I got them sporadically but the last 3 or 4 times I've purchased a package I haven't ever gotten one.

I wanted to add that we found lots of times when 2for1 drinks were offered, in fact most afternoons and some afterdiner hours also. We did enjoy the n/a beverage package to the max and we left with a very modest bar bill. There were so many drink specials around the ship we were happy with them.

Try buying drinks without a package for the first day or 2 then if you feel you would benefit from a drinks package then purchase it then, it will be prorated for the number of days left on the cruise.

Have a wonderful time!

Bev

Thank you for all the advice on drinks and tipping. It's very helpful.

We do like to have some wine with dinner, but usually only one glass, maybe two. (Too much makes us sleepy!) so we would definitely be "by the glass" people and would be more likely to drink more cocktails.

Good advice about trying with just the non-alcoholic package the first day then upgrading if we need to.

Still, there is something nice about paying for it months in advance and not having a painfully large liquor bill at the end of the cruise!

Archived