Oasis Ports - What would you do?!

Hello!

Ok, kinda stuck on what to do - DH and I just got back from the Oasis a few weeks ago, we both agree that we want to go back again next year since we "ran out of time" to do everything we wanted to do on the ship...

Here is our "dilemma" (and I use that term lightly)! Our last trip was to the Western Caribbean, we've priced out different weeks/routes for next year for either January or February and the difference in prices for each is what has me confused (but I get it, peak time and it depends on the Ports). DH is leaning towards the Eastern Caribbean this time around which also makes the trip anywhere from 1000-1500 more depending on which we week go (we're booking a GS). Would you try the Eastern Caribbean even though there is such a price difference? Or would you save the money and go back to the Western?

If you're wanting to visit different ports, the Eastern Caribbean is the logical choice. If you simply want to spend time onboard the ship and don't care about the ports then the savings for the Western itinerary is the obvious one. You have to select your cruise "objective" and then decide if the extra $$ make sense for one itinerary vs. another.

Eastern routes have historically cost more than equal length Western routes. I suspect that the reason is popularity. St Thomas and St Maarten are probably the two most popular ports in the Caribbean. Personally I prefer the ports on the Eastern routes of Oasis & Allure. But the price difference is significant so my choice would come down to budget and a decision on if I would prefer a higher cabin category to a preferrable route.

Since you are in a GS, I would do the Western and use part of the saved money to rent a Cabana at Labadee. We did that for our cruise last fall and DW said that was the most enjoyable port day that we have had in many years. She is slightly mobility impaired due to a foot injury (temporary) and we were most happy with the service of our cabana attendant(He said his name was Rolex, we called him Timex=which he thought was pretty funny). He was always willing to go get us drinks, carry food trays, anything we asked of him. When we went in the water to swim, he tidied up the cabana, swept away the sand, etc. Very good choice of activity on our part. We will do the same again this fall.

IF you wish to rent a cabana you can contact the Oasis concierge (Pre-cruise) to reserve one for you. You can contact tjem: OA_concierge02@RCCL.com

When we booked Oasis, the Eastern itinerary was cheaper. I can't say which is better, since I'll be trying Western myself for the first time in April, but the above posters are spot on. It just depends on what's more important to you. I can tell you that we thoroughly enjoyed Eastern ports and wouldn't hesitate to go back! If you're returning just to spend more time on the ship, then stay in Western. If itinerary is a large factor and you don't mind the extra grand, then by all means go for it! Just choose whichever one will give you peace of mind, and not a change of heart. ;):)

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you guys so much!! I really appreciate everyone's opinions! Historically I've liked the Eastern ports better; however with the Oasis we found we didn't want to leave the ship even if it was in port. I'm thinking we should just save the extra grand (and put it towards the cabana on Labadee).

Archived