Sea glass

cc56

A crafter on St Thomas puts them in some candles she makes.

Another crafter on St Thomas makes seed bead bezels to convert the glass to pendants.

Many people wrap them with wire to make pendants.

I've made cuff links, earrings, necklaces.

My friend and I used grout on those plain, red, clay pots and stuck sea glass on before the grout dried. You can make lots of nice projects with grout and sea glass, and boy, is it ever easy!

While on St Martin, I saw someone who had covered their mailbox with sea glass!

If I see/hear/think of more ideas, I'll post again.

looking forward to another "sea glass hunt" next "mini-cruise".

Anyone know of any locations in miami, or key west?

Also for those that love collecting sea glass or desire to learn about it-

I received a great book as a gift "Pure Sea Glass: Discovering Nature's Vanishing Gems" - nice pretty cover for the coffee table.

I found my pendant so I'm attaching the photo. Oopps! It didn't rotate, but hopefully you can get an idea of what it looks like.

This was a piece of glass I found on Grande Anse Beach in Grenada.

Beautiful! thanks for posting the picture. i love to see what others have done with their sea glass. I am amassing my collection (with some help from kind souls ;) ) and am in the process of sorting it for projects. I have many pieces that I hope to make into jewelry and others that i want to turninto mosaics like you mentioned. Love the clay flower pot idea! :)

looking forward to another "sea glass hunt" next "mini-cruise".

Anyone know of any locations in miami, or key west?

Also for those that love collecting sea glass or desire to learn about it-

I received a great book as a gift "Pure Sea Glass: Discovering Nature's Vanishing Gems" - nice pretty cover for the coffee table.

I have this book on my wish list...and my birthday is only 2 weeks away. :D

I forgot about the ornaments and crafts with sea glass that some of the beaches on St Thomas offer. I was at one of the beaches yesterday, so I got a reminder.

Remember plaster of paris? Ha, ha! Well some of the beaches on St Thomas let you make your own crafty souvenirs with what I think is plaster of paris, sand, sea glass, and shells, but they created a unique spin called Magic Milk.

I first heard about it at Morningstar at Frenchman's Reef, but have also seen it at Coki and Sugar Bay. The people that offer the activity beachside also wholesale, so I've seen their products at quite a few stores.

All the concessions have molds, sand, "magic milk", and accessories for you to create your unique item. I bought a $5 ready made ornament because I was in a hurry, but if you have your own shells/sea glass, you can probably create more personal items.

I think these concessions have "man-made" seaglass, which works well if you don't have your own!

I just stumbled on this thread trying to figure out what to do on my Caribbean cruise, including Grand Turk in January, 2013. Wow, am I glad I did! I'll have to pack extra ziplocks, in case I get lucky.

Two years ago, I collected sea glass as I toured the Caribbean. While tiny, my two best pieces both came from beaches in Curacao. One is burgandy in color, and the other, a very soft lavendar. I wonder what they came from originally? Certainly no coke, beer, wine, or medicine bottle! I am thinking maybe a perfume factory or something? Anyways, they are small, and I add to the glass bowl with every trip and my friends shake their heads at my addiction. The only "unfinished" glass piece I've ever kept was a tiny vial that I think was probably a crack vial, that washed up on shore in Costa Rica. It's in perfect shape, sadly. And just a conversation piece, in my otherwise tumbled collection...

DH and I are headed out on September 1st! I specifically chose this cruise because it goes to Grand Turk although I will look on every island we stop at this cruise.

GT was a wrecking island in sixteen, seventeen and eighteen hundreds. The lighthouse light was sometimes extinguished a long time ago so the ships would wreck on the reef to the north of the lighthouse. Booty was recovered and sold by the people that lived there at the time. So this trip I want to check out the beach below the lighthouse. We have rented a golf cart from Nathan. Can't wait. When we were there in 2010 found a lot of glass on the beach north of Jack's Shack. What fun!! I will check there again this year. There are some ladies on Grand Turk that collect glass and sell it in the shops at the cruise center.

I have been searching the Internet and my glass books for other islands that have sea glass and will be checking out Brewer's Beach in St Thomas and La Playa Beach in Old San Juan.

I will try to remember to check back and post whether I had ant luck at any of these sites.

Good luck with your hunting!!!!

Glass beach looks amazing! That is definitely on my list of places to go for sea glass after looking at that pic!

We were successful on Grand Turk this spring. Unfortunately we did not get to the rest of the cruise destinations-death in the family had to go home.

If you like sea glass jewelry and products I have just posted my new web site with sea glass jewelry and accessories. Also, if you have a special glass " treasure" from a special trip I'd be happy to work with you to create a special piece of jewelry just for you.

Please check it out at http://www.jerseagirlseaglass.com or e-mail me at cindicramer@hotmail.com.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Jersea Girl

Archived