ending in Athens - Oceania excursions+transfer

giraffelt

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who ended their cruise in Athens in respect to excursion + transfers offered by Oceania.

Our cruise on Riviera's maiden voyage will end in Athens. We would like to do some sightseeing and then go to the airport. Of course the problem is our luggage. I haven't been able to get any information about Oceania offered excursion and transfers.

Larry

For some reason they only seem to offer this option after you are onboard, usually towards the end of the cruise.

Not sure they will offer in Athens as the flights depart all day. For example in Rio, most of the flights to NA depart late in the evening, so they offer a tour and drop you at the airport late afternoon/early evening.

Not sure this helps much....

Mo

Airline flights from Athens to North America usually depart early in the morning, and there is no time for touring. Sometimes it is difficult to get a cab early in the morning at the Athens cruise dock, and I would suggest purchasing Oceania's transfer from the cruise dock to airport. Your travel agent can arrange it, or you can purchase it aboard the ship.

The one time we disembarked in Athens (not Oceania) we could not get a taxi. The people that were getting in taxi's somehow had them pre-arranged and maybe if we waited around for a few hours we could have got one. We ended up walking out of the port and finding a bus which wasn't an easy walk especially with our luggage. This time I arranged a taxi with

http://www.athensbytaxi.com/ He also does tours. There is also another taxi service that you can use http://www.taxigreece.com/ They both come highly rated on Cruise critic.

Phillymaps,

We actually are flying to Istanbul and have a mid afternoon flight. Hence the desire to do somesightseeing brfore heading to the airport.

Et Al,

There are 6 of us so the amount of luggage is problematic when considering a taxi. I have found a limo srvice which says the can accommodate the luggage but for comparison purposes I am curious as to what Oceania offers. On every cruise we have taken the cruise line always offered a tour and transfer but I can't get any info from Oceania. We can't wait until we are on board to make a decision as it really becomes a hobson's choice.

Larry

Larry,

I'm puzzled as to why you say you can't find information from O about transfer costs. It's usually on our booking statement and surely your TA (assuming you have one) should know the answer.

We have always avoided O transfers because the prices are so much more than what you can find on your own, whether you're talking about a private service, a taxi or a bus! But for convenience, that can be the way to go.

Mura

Mura, I think they were asking about more than just a transfer. In the past, in many ports, Oceania has offered an "all day transfer" in the form of a bus tour combined with the transportation to the airport. We took advantage of one in Rio, visiting several of the best sightseeing areas until mid afternoon, then stopping at a giant mall with several places to get a bite before boarding the plane. Finally, we were delivered to the airport.

This usually happens when most of the flights are in the evening (we had an 8:15 PM flight out of Rio). The big advantage is that one's liuggage stays safely in the bowels of the bus while touring.

Although the transfer details are usually availabel ahead of the cruise, for some reason (probably technical), Oceania does not seem to announce these extended transfers until mid-cruise.

In the specific case of the OP, most flights out of Athens are much earlier than evening, so it's probably unlikely for Oceania to offer the combined transfer/sightseeing tour. Most folks will be taking an early flight or staying in Athens for a day or so. It probably wouldn't pay for Oceania to offer a tour.

Aha, that makes sense. I remember when we were on a B2B in Costa Rica, the ship wanted us "holdovers" off the ship while they cleaned the rooms and so we had a choice of 2-3 tours. So something like that might be available on this cruise, but I agree that information probably won't be available until the passengers are on board. And I can see where such a tour won't be available in Athens where most flights leave earlier.

I've been surprised to see that in Istanbul so many flights leave before dawn! We had to settle for a 6:30am flight home next September ...

I wish the OP good luck! Dealing with luggage on your own can be a real hassle. And it wouldn't be wonderfully convenient to go out to the airport and get a day room, stash the luggage, and then go back into town ...

So maybe the answer is to schedule a tour with one of the taxi outfits, let THEM deal with the luggage and take you around during the day, and then take you to the airport. I think that is the option I would take.

Mura

Hondorner is correct. the issue is combining a half day tour with transfer to the airport. Safe storage of the luggage is a concern.

I have reached the same conclusion as Mura that a private taxi/limosine service is the best (maybe only) way for us. Still need to think of a contingency plan if things are chaotic in Athens on the day of arrival.

Larry

Archived