RSVP Feb 9-16, 2013 - Eurodam

Boytjie

Cashetta was a regular performer here in Rehoboth all summer at The Blue Moon. She did Pyschic Sundays, hosted a game show another night, and on Halloween did a Seance, which was cool.

She is back doing the Fort Lauderdale scene. Including Friday night appearances at the Royal Palms.

Hey!

what are the cabs like in Fort Lauderdale? are they reliable enough to rely on at mid-night to get to my hotel or should i look at an airport transfer/limo?

any suggestions?

I'm staying at the Palm Plaza Resort for a couple of nights pre-cruise :)

Less than a month now!!!!!

Steve

I am only familiar with cabs from the airport to the cruise port and back and that has always been good experiences. I am sure that you should not have a problem getting a cab to the hotel late at night - I have not heard horrible stories about cabs in Ft. Lauderdale yet (other than the usual cab issue of some of them taking you to you destination in a roundabout way).

Hey!

what are the cabs like in Fort Lauderdale? are they reliable enough to rely on at mid-night to get to my hotel or should i look at an airport transfer/limo?

any suggestions?

I'm staying at the Palm Plaza Resort for a couple of nights pre-cruise :)

Less than a month now!!!!!

Steve

They are reliable enough. I would call Inter City (954 333-3333) before I use Yellow. Many of the Yellow drivers are islanders, speak very little English and may need you to give them directions to where you are going. We've been in a Yellow Cab from the airport where the driver was on the phone the entire ride and was going through red lights.

Arriving at the airport you many not have much choice, the cabs are lined up and there is a starter controlling access. Make sure you're wearing a seat belt, and you shouldn't have a problem getting to your hotel. Some of the cabs have Navigation.

I just went to the Eurodam Holland America site to look over the excursions, and they have added a couple just for RSVP cruisers. I tried to copy one here, and it was blocked. One excursion is to the Carnival in Curacao, and the other is a Splash (pool) Party in Curacao.I haven't checked out Aruba yet.

I just went to the Eurodam Holland America site to look over the excursions, and they have added a couple just for RSVP cruisers. I tried to copy one here, and it was blocked. One excursion is to the Carnival in Curacao, and the other is a Splash (pool) Party in Curacao.I haven't checked out Aruba yet.

Custom - RSVP Carnival in Curacao

Willemstad literally explodes with color during the annual Carnival celebration in Curacao. The vibrant mix of Dutch, Jewish, Portuguese, African and South American cultures make this a party not to be missed. The fantastic ten-mile dancing procession includes a horse parade, a children's parade, a teen's parade, the Gran Marcha and the final Grand Farewell Carnival Parade.

You will have seats in a private and secure area with restroom facilities. Drinks and snacks will be available for purchase. This unique experience has been arranged especially for our guests on the Eurodam for the RSVP sailing. Don't miss this opportunity to participate in the biggest Carnival celebration of 2013!

Custom - RSVP Mardi Gras Splash

Escape from the ordinary and get into the spirit of Carnival (Mardi Gras) with a pool party at the Floris Suite Hotel. Take advantage of the unlimited premium bar and elaborate buffet; watch the go-go dancers and the butter boys; take some free beads and whistles and chillax to the tunes of the island’s Caribbean carnival beats, hosted by the best local DJs. Bring your own pool toys and let the ...

Custom - RSVP Carnival in Curacao

You will have seats in a private and secure area with restroom facilities. Drinks and snacks will be available for purchase. This unique experience has been arranged especially for our guests on the Eurodam for the RSVP sailing. Don't miss this opportunity to participate in the biggest Carnival celebration of 2013!

So question for the people who've done Carnival in Curacao before - is booking this as an excursion worth it? I'm leaning toward this as an option for watching the parade (seats _and_ restrooms _and_ drinks and snacks?!) but my partner seemed a bit cool on the idea. I'm looking for ways to convince him that this is a far better option than fighting crowds on the roadside.

Thanks!

Don

So question for the people who've done Carnival in Curacao before - is booking this as an excursion worth it? I'm leaning toward this as an option for watching the parade (seats _and_ restrooms _and_ drinks and snacks?!) but my partner seemed a bit cool on the idea. I'm looking for ways to convince him that this is a far better option than fighting crowds on the roadside.

Thanks!

Don

On 2010 we just walked from the ship a few blocks and stood in front of a bar during the parade where we could buy drinks and use the restroom while watching it; then we just walked back to witness the fireworks from our balcony. I didn't see the need to pay for that excursion then and I don't see it now if you are able to stand for a few hours.

Thanks!

Don

We did this excursion. The advantage is that you have transportation to the parade and are grouped together with all the RSVPers for a fun atmosphere. You also don't have to worry about not making it back to the ship in time for departure. But after sitting in our seats for awhile, we felt too far away from the action, so we joined the throngs along the street, and it was way more festive. I am short, and fortunately was able to get close enough to see and take great pictures. Performers would stop and pose for you. The pictures I was taking from the seats were not as good.

The Black Eyed Peas song "Tonight's Gonna Be a Good Night" will always bring back memories of the Carnival parade. The Curacaons (?) had a unique twist to the song.:)

On 2010 we just walked from the ship a few blocks and stood in front of a bar during the parade where we could buy drinks and use the restroom while watching it; then we just walked back to witness the fireworks from our balcony. I didn't see the need to pay for that excursion then and I don't see it now if you are able to stand for a few hours.

Only a few blocks? Someone else told me they tried to walk to it and gave up after walking so far and through some shady looking areas. The bus ride to and from the grandstand seemed like a long ride, and even after getting off the bus we had to walk a couple blocks up the parade route.

We did it and it was one of our favorite excursions (up there with helicopter rides in Alaska and Hawaii)! It was so much fun that we are don't know if we want to do it again: what if it it doesn't quite live up to the first experience? Then again, it could be better!

There were 500 of us that were in stands midway through the parade route with an area under the stands for bathrooms, food and drink. There was enough seating in the stands so you did not have to stand all the time but many of us were up and dancing on street level while the parade was passing.

There were some of the older locals that were not too keen on us being there but the younger people loved us. A couple of parade groups actually welcomed RSVP to Carnival over their sound systems. Unfortunately we had to leave the parade before the end to get to the ship in time for departure but so many locals thanked us for coming and yelled at us to come back again.

I hope the link to this video on Facebook works:

The Black Eyed Peas song "Tonight's Gonna Be a Good Night" will always bring back memories of the Carnival parade. The Curacaons (?) had a unique twist to the song.:)

OMG yes! That and the Love Boat sing-along on the bus ride back to the ship.

[bTW, why is there so much empty space after your signature and countdown clock?]

“Hello my name is...” Bon Voyage Party

Be proud of who you are and where you are from. Get inventive with a name tag or a T-shirt indicating your name and home town – meet new friends from your own backyard or the other side of the world...

“Get Soaked” T-Dance

It promises to be a sweltering day in the deep southern Caribbean. But don’t worry; we’ll keep you cool with our super soakers, water balloons and other wet fun! Swimsuits and various water-friendly garb a must. Use cameras and phones at your own risk!

“The Saint” Retro T-Dance

Back in the 80s The Saint in the East Village was one of the hottest places to party – today we resurrect it and give you a chance to dig deep in your closet for something “saintly” to wear. Original Saint DJ Robbie Leslie spins.

“Zoomanity” T-Dance

Let your inner animal out for this wild afternoon event under the sun. Bring your camera, because this safari is sure to be interesting!

“Costume” Contest and Party

Whether you’re participating or just watching the show, you’ll see why this is one of the most popular events on any RSVP cruise.

This year the theme is open; so let your imagination run wild. The most creative costume (finalists judged by the guests) is awarded a $1000 credit towards a cabin on a future RSVP sailing. Second place is a $500 credit towards a cabin. Third place is a prize of $200 towards your shipboard account and fourth place is a prize of $100 towards your shipboard account.

Country Western 2-Step and Line Dancing

Outdoor dancin’ with lots of tight jeans and boots (hats optional). Don’t know how to 2-step? Our instructors will have you doin’ the “Boot Scootin’ Boogie” in no time.

“Darker Shades of Grey” Party

We’ll turn down the lights a little to let your inhibitions emerge from the shadows of night. Dress in something dark, leather, uniform, or just become a friendly face in the shadows. Don’t forget your safe word. Laters, Baby.

“Glitter and Be Gay” Party

Nothing says gay like glitter. Be proud and show off your inner light. This is your time to sparkle and shine with all the glitz you can muster.

“Unmentionables” Party

It’s hot outside, so strip down as far as you feel comfortable (yes, you have to keep some things covered) and hit the dance floor.

“Church” Bingo & Church Bonnet Parade

Trust us – this is not your parents’ Bingo! And, since it’s Church Bingo, proper attire is encouraged. Host: Sister Helen Holy

“Commitment Ceremony”

Whether it is “I Do” for the first time or “I Do” forever, our ceremony is a very special part of your cruise.

“Door Decorating” Contest

Over the years, passengers have taken to adding a little “color” to the cruise ship hallways by adding decorations to their stateroom doors. We now send our own judges around at the beginning of the cruise to select those cabins we feel deserve recognition.

Finalists are announced at one of our evening main stage shows and a grand prizewinner is awarded a very special prize. Please keep in mind a few simple rules, decorations should not obstruct doorways hallways nor create electrical or fire hazards, refrain from using offensive images or nudity, respect ship property by not damaging door surfaces and please clean up your decorations

at the end of the cruise.

Sing Along to the movie “Mary Poppins”

“Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down in a most delightful way…”

“Swimsuit Pageant”

This is not a Beauty Contest. Drag and Towel Wigs are encouraged and even celebrated! First Place Prize of $100 towards your shipboard account compliments of RSVP.

Do you think the Country Western/Line Dancing is a party theme or just an activity?

It is an activity not a party theme. There are different times when they will have lessons and I believe also evening dances in smaller venues.

The party themes are out so maybe activity here will pick up a bit!

I have heard from a number of you RSVPing for the meet-and-greet. If you have not responded yet, please let me know if you plan on attending. Partners and cabin mates are welcome too, of course :)

Email me at boytjieny at yahoo dot com providing me with the names, Cruise Critic IDs (if applicable) and cabin numbers of those attending. It helps having that info just in case there is a last minute location/time slot change. HAL would also want an estimate of how many people will be attending.

“Glitter and Be Gay” Party

Nothing says gay like glitter. Be proud and show off your inner light. This is your time to sparkle and shine with all the glitz you can muster.

For those of you who are going to cover yourself in glitter, a helpful hint:

Mix the glitter with LOTION, and put it all over your body. And I mean ALL over. Any type of lotion would work, Sunscreen could be used. This will let the glitter stick.

Then take a long hot shower, to get the glitter off.

Have fun!!!

Mix the glitter with LOTION, and put it all over your body. And I mean ALL over. Any type of lotion would work, Sunscreen could be used. This will let the glitter stick.

Have fun!!!

Thanks, Kevin! I knew you would be of help when it came to the subject of glitter! :p

Only a few blocks? Someone else told me they tried to walk to it and gave up after walking so far and through some shady looking areas. The bus ride to and from the grandstand seemed like a long ride, and even after getting off the bus we had to walk a couple blocks up the parade route.

I don't remember exactly but it couldn't have been more than 8 or 10 blocks, and it wasn't that bad either there were a lot of people walking the same route, we just followed along. Then again, we are from a different country so our perception of walking distances and shady might be different.

Have fun!!!

Thanks for the tips, Kevin!

I just wonder what the poor Eurodam crew will have to do to de-glitter the ship before the next group of passengers arrive!

Archived