RSVP Feb 9-16, 2013 - Eurodam

Boytjie

Another reminder for the meet-and-greet.

What is it?

It is a chance for the people that are Cruise Critic members to meet each other in real life. It is usually the ones that have been following this roll call thread for this cruise, no matter how active they have been.

What happens there?

We hang out for an hour or so the first day at sea to get to know each other - or catch up after a year apart.

I arrange with RSVP to have a time and location to meet and they arrange it with HAL. There may be some staff from HAL in attendance to meet us and there may be some refreshments provided - it can be anything from coffee and cookies to an open bar. It all depends on what HAL wants to provide (Hotel Manager and/or Beverage Manager).

I will print up name tags for everyone that RSVPed and have blank ones for those that decide last minute to attend.

When and where will it take place?

I have asked for Noon on Sunday, the first day at sea in the Silk Den. I am waiting for confirmation from RSVP on that.

What do I need from you?

An email at boytjieny at yahoo dot com providing me with you Cruise Critic id, names of the people that will attend and your cabin number(s).

About 30 people have RSVed so far.

Greetings.

I just wanted to pass along two things to do in Aruba and Curacao while on the RSVP cruise. We are a bit reluctant to book shore excursions as we are thrifty little men and have always found the excursions to be rather expensive and a poor value, at least to us.

In Aruba, we have taken a cab, and even the public bus, to Manchebo Beach. The beach is exceptional and the adjoining Machebo Beach Resort has always been very nice. It is not a high rise luxe property but rather a low rise, laid back kind of place. You can check it out online. We were the only RSVPers. Not a surprise.

The last time we were in Curacao, we mosied over to the Blue Bay resort. We took a cab out there. There is a day charge to use the resort but it is absolutely lovely. Powdery white sand. Peaceful and relaxing with facilities such as showers, a bar, a restaurant etc. Just the perfect beach day away from the hubub of downtown Orangestaed. We were the only folks from the ship. We just took a cab back although we should have made arrangements for the return ahead of time. That being said, it is a great beach day and it does not cost a fortune.

While I post very infrequently, we are looking forward to meeting everyone.

Mike

Hi All!!

I'm flying in from Aus early morning Feb 7 yippee... after 30+ hours travelling I will be glad to be there!!

I am really confused about the dress code. I'm trying to get organised as I am working right up till the day I leave and am quickly running out of shopping days!!

So is every night smart Casual in public areas? (according to HAL website)

and the Formal Dinners..how many are there and are there other dining options? I think I have said before, there is no way I'm lugging a suit around over there on my holiday!!

Do I need any particular shoes? or are casual shoes OK? once again luggage limits are prohibitive to me bringing my entire wardrobe :)

I have booked the RSVP Parade viewing thing... from the sound of it I may be the only one. LOL

THANKS!!!!!

Steven, don't worry too much about the dress code, it is all very, very casual and the one formal night (Valentines Day, the 14) is optional: dress up if only if you want to. You don't have to stay away from the main dining room that night!

For dinner jeans and long pants like khakis with a collared shirt are fine. Some wear t-shirts too. Casual shoes are fine and I have worn nice leather sandals to dinner as well.

Richard and I are also doing the Carnival viewing, you are not alone. :)

First time with RSVP for my partner and I. We've looked into excursions but most seemed over priced. We would also like to join a group that may walk to the parties for Carnival.

Best Wishes,

Brian & Jeff

My husband, a few friends and I are walking to the parade in Curacao, we will also try to get to the beaches by bus early on the day. Feel free to join us.

My husband, a few friends and I are walking to the parade in Curacao, we will also try to get to the beaches by bus early on the day. Feel free to join us.

Sounds good. I will email for the meet and greet later this evening if you all are attending.

I am arriving on February 6th. I have already got the suitcases out and started going through my stock of costumes, and will be staying at the Extended Stay Hotel on 17th Street. Who else is staying out that way? BayAreaBC , that is the beach we went to 2 years ago on the cruise, I loved it and want to go back again this year. Max, we should get a group and meet up and walk to the parade. Welcome Brian & Jeff

Sounds good to us.

Should a snow storm threaten, we are prepared to depart a day or two early.:eek::eek:

Please! No repeat of 2010 - even if the itinerary is a repeat!

The Sunday before that cruise weather predictions were for a snow storm to hit New York the day we were going to fly down to Ft. Lauderdale. During the Superbowl I was able to change our flights to one day earlier (the airlines waived change fees) and I worked remotely one day. What a nightmare it was for so many people to get to Ft. Lauderdale! And then embarkation was delayed because the ship was late arriving - it docked around 12:30 pm instead of around 6:00-7:00 am. Embarkation started at 3 pm and I think we sailed around 7 pm.

Is anyone staying at the Worthington/Alcazar/Villa Venice? This is the largest gay resort in FLL with 3 pools. We are at the Alcazar which is supposedly the quietest of the 3.

We stayed at Villa Venice in 2010 prior to the cruise. It was very nice, but I believe it now has new owners.

This year we are staying at The Worthington AFTER the cruise for 4 nights. We will be at The Cabanas 3 days before the cruise.

I am at the Schubert Resort arriving on Feb 7.

Shore Excusions

Although the shore excursions may be a bit high, they are definitely worth it. Instead of the the Atlantis submarine it becomes the Gay Atllantis Submarine full of gay men. Instead of the Town & Country Tour, it becomes the Gay Town & Country tour. This Historical Pirate ship snorkel tour becomes the historical Pirate ship snorkel and BJ tour. At the parade the Gay Passengers on the ship will have our own cheering section of about 1000 people in bleachers and the people on the float definitely acknowledge us and play to us. It is about the gay camradarie that is also built up in smaller more intimate excursions.

One of my favorite days is always on Half Moon Cay when it is Gay Cay for a Day.

Don't let the price put you off. I live about half my time in SF and I thought it would be a lot like being in the Castro but it isn't. It is a very unique experience that I can't wait to relive.

For the Amy and Freddie groupies... (I mean fans) they will be performing at the Village Pub at 5:30 pm and 7:00 pm Friday night before the cruise.

Greg Phelps - Cruise Critic member GregFL and ex-Alibi's bartender - is co-owner of the newest gay bar in Wilton Manors.

Please! No repeat of 2010 - even if the itinerary is a repeat!

I hope not. We too, left a day early. Winter, thus far nation wide has been pretty much non existent. Here, in the Midwest it didn't get cold until about a week ago. There's no snow on the ground.:D Hope it stays that way for a few more weeks.

Just wanted to sign in. My partner and I will be on the Eurodam RSVP cruise with all of you.

We have done a lot of cruising, most recent was a Celebrity Silhoutte transatlantic journey, fifteen days in December 2012. We live in Provincetown from April through October, and south Florida through the winter.

looking forward to meeting you guys in just a few weeks.

Richard and Kevin

Just wanted to sign in. My partner and I will be on the Eurodam RSVP cruise with all of you.

We have done a lot of cruising, most recent was a Celebrity Silhoutte transatlantic journey, fifteen days in December 2012. We live in Provincetown from April through October, and south Florida through the winter.

looking forward to meeting you guys in just a few weeks.

Richard and Kevin

Welcome Richard & Kevin. So, it sounds like this cruise will be your third "gay home". Living in gay Rehoboth Beach, it will be our 2nd. :)

Is the Greg Phelps referenced as an owner of the Village Pub the same Greg Phelps who performed a number of years ago when they did RSVP talent shows? As I recall, he hit one out of the park when he sang.

Not to change the subject but anyone have any idea when we will get the actual activity schedule and the identities of the performers for this year's cruise?

Is the Greg Phelps referenced as an owner of the Village Pub the same Greg Phelps who performed a number of years ago when they did RSVP talent shows? As I recall, he hit one out of the park when he sang.

Not to change the subject but anyone have any idea when we will get the actual activity schedule and the identities of the performers for this year's cruise?

It really is ridiculous that they haven't published the activity schedule yet! I think this is the latest I can ever remember!

And, as Greg Phelps used to sing, "Come sail with me, come sail RSVP...."

I thought I'd repost what Jeff Gunvaldson said on RSVPcruisers:

"Ok, for all those who asked what "butter boys" were for the Splash Pool party excursion in Curacao, they are the guys that will help with the tanning and sunscreen lotions.

By the way, we have a minimum to meet on this tour in order for it to go, and the minimum must be met or very close by Wednesday the 23rd or we will be forced to cancel the tour. If you are interested please don't wait."

I thought I'd repost what Jeff Gunvaldson said on RSVPcruisers:

By the way, we have a minimum to meet on this tour in order for it to go, and the minimum must be met or very close by Wednesday the 23rd or we will be forced to cancel the tour. If you are interested please don't wait."

Don't scare/startle/freak out the newbies! (meaning me!) Cancel which tour?? I'm guessing you're refering to one of the "sides" and not the cruise?

Don't scare/startle/freak out the newbies! (meaning me!) Cancel which tour?? I'm guessing you're refering to one of the "sides" and not the cruise?

I'm pretty sure it's the pool party at the Floris Suites. Jeff should drop prices if he's worried about attendance.

Deep breath... the Mardi Gras Splash party at the Floris Suite Hotel, with go-go dancers and the butter boys. ;)

I'm pretty sure it's the pool party at the Floris Suites. Jeff should drop prices if he's worried about attendance.

The excursion is surely contracted by HAL with the hotel for at a certain price with a minumum number of participants. HAL won't lower the price and tahe a hit on the xcursion, they will cancel it instead. Like cruise lines often do with some excursion. I have had scuba excursions canceled.

Archived