Disgusting experience!!!!!

smallperson

My husband, brother and i just came back on 2/19 from trying to get aboard the norwegian spirit in new orleans. The ship left without us because it was absolutely impossible, if driving, to find an access road that would take you down to the dock. Every road was blocked because of freaking mardi gras, and the norwegian cruise line knows this and didn't let anyone know of an alternate route to get to the ship. We were stuck, and i mean stuck, in traffic for over 5 hours in new orleans while we tried to get to the ship, and we simply could not get there. The ship left without a lot of passengers who had the same experience. Ncl and our travel agency, ***********, do not accept any responsibility for this mess and won't compensate us for the loss of the trip. Ncl provides driving directions to the terminal. They already accept the responsibility for telling you how to get there. Now they say they have no responsibility for these driving direction. We say they do. We say they could have emailed every one of us on this cruise some new directions, given what happens on mardi gras (we didn't know about it because we don't live in n.o.). We are going to sue them in small claims court. We hope every one of the passengers who missed this boat does the same. We will prevail in small claims court--the directions that did not work are printed on ncl letterhead, which proves that they expected us to use these directions. If they did not work, ncl should have let us know how to get to the ship.

We are latitudes members who have cruised on ncl many times, without incident. I cannot find the words to express my anger and frustration with this cruise line now. They are real pikers in my opinion, and i am considering not setting foot on another of their ships. I will also write to the better business bureau in my area and complain about this service issue.

I realize you are angry, and I probably would be too, but can I ask a question of you?

When you purchased this cruise, did you realize it was close to Mardi Gras?

Many times people suggest arriving at least a day early in the best of circumstances... Mardi GRAS would require extra special planning.

Good luck with your battles...

My husband, brother and i just came back on 2/19 from trying to get aboard the norwegian spirit in new orleans. The ship left without us because it was absolutely impossible, if driving, to find an access road that would take you down to the dock. Every road was blocked because of freaking mardi gras, and the norwegian cruise line knows this and didn't let anyone know of an alternate route to get to the ship. We were stuck, and i mean stuck, in traffic for over 5 hours in new orleans while we tried to get to the ship, and we simply could not get there. The ship left without a lot of passengers who had the same experience. Ncl and our travel agency, ***********, do not accept any responsibility for this mess and won't compensate us for the loss of the trip. Ncl provides driving directions to the terminal. They already accept the responsibility for telling you how to get there. Now they say they have no responsibility for these driving direction. We say they do. We say they could have emailed every one of us on this cruise some new directions, given what happens on mardi gras (we didn't know about it because we don't live in n.o.). We are going to sue them in small claims court. We hope every one of the passengers who missed this boat does the same. We will prevail in small claims court--the directions that did not work are printed on ncl letterhead, which proves that they expected us to use these directions. If they did not work, ncl should have let us know how to get to the ship.

We are latitudes members who have cruised on ncl many times, without incident. I cannot find the words to express my anger and frustration with this cruise line now. They are real pikers in my opinion, and i am considering not setting foot on another of their ships. I will also write to the better business bureau in my area and complain about this service issue.

I think you're going about this the wrong way. You should file your complaint thru http://www.ConsumerAffairs.com. That's what I would do.

You have no case against NCL, they didn't close any roads, how did all of the other passengers make it to the ship? I'm sure you can't sue the City of New Orleans either.

I understand that you're upset, I think by the light of day you will see that it's not the cruise line's fault.

I would be looking for flights to get you to your first port of call.

Ncl provides driving directions to the terminal. They already accept the responsibility for telling you how to get there.

No, they don't. Only if they sell air and/or transfer to the ship it's their responsibility to take you to the next port in case it's their fault you've missed the ship.

We say they could have emailed every one of us on this cruise some new directions, given what happens on mardi gras (we didn't know about it because we don't live in n.o.).

This would be nice, but they are not legally obligated to do that.

We are going to sue them in small claims court. We hope every one of the passengers who missed this boat does the same.

This is where your insurance should've taken care of you - did they take you to the next port?

They are real pikers in my opinion, and i am considering not setting foot on another of their ships.

Good luck in finding a better cruise line!

I will also write to the better business bureau in my area and complain about this service issue.

Please let us know how it all will turn out.

We live fairly close the the Manhattan terminal and we always check for any events or parades or street fairs (NYC has plenty of them) that we may want to avoid.

I would think Mardi Gras would raise a big flag!

I understand the OPs frustration but I don't think NCL is at fault.

The cheerleaders will make nasty comments to you ... just ignore them.

I'm sorry this happened. I live in FL and NJ, and would have no idea about Mardi Gras either if I was traveling at this time of the year. Someone should have warned you, especially since you don't live in the area. That really stinks. I'm sorry :(

I believe there is an arbitration clause in the contract. Read that first. You may have to go thru arbitration before you can file a suit. Also, it will tell you what state / county has jurisdiction. Good luck to you. I can't imagine the disappointment and frustration.

I forgot to mention....

Since you are admittedly unfamilar with New Orleans, I would suggest that you really try to avoid driving there, or give yourself a LOT of extra time, if you decide to go there for Mardi Gras...which, by the way, is this coming Tuesday (Feb 21st).

Just to give you a parallel... I'm not from New York, but I do know that on the day we leave there is a half marathon in manhattan. To account for this, we need to be cognizant of the route... It would not be NCL'S fault if we missed the ship, nor their responsibility to notify me of this or give me an alternate route...

You have no case against NCL, they didn't close any roads, how did all of the other passengers make it to the ship? I'm sure you can't sue the City of New Orleans either.

I understand that you're upset, I think by the light of day you will see that it's not the cruise line's fault.

I would be looking for flights to get you to your first port of call.

I'd go with this post, it's very astute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love this app :)

Ncl provides driving directions to the terminal. They already accept the responsibility for telling you how to get there

When they provided you with directions to the ship they DID NOT accept responsibility for anything! Best of luck with your useless "lawsuit" It will cost you $ and will get you NOTHING! Next time you screw up your vacation, blame yourself!

Bottom line, you didn't plan and you want others to pay for your stupidity!

We all know that according to the cheerleaders on this board, NCL can do no wrong. Everything NCL does is ok by them. The food is the best, accomodations are the greatest, and there is never a service problem. Nothing is ever NCL's fault. You won't see much sympathy here.

I returned from the Spirit today.

Indeed, traffic was a nightmare. Well, actually traffic was pretty much what anyone travelling NOLA on the weekend prior to Fat Tuesday should have expected. With the added bonus of all of Saturday's parades being moved to Sunday. I'm doubting that anything short of trip insurance is gonna have a satisfactory result for OP.

We all know that according to the cheerleaders on this board, NCL can do no wrong. Everything NCL does is ok by them. The food is the best, accomodations are the greatest, and there is never a service problem. Nothing is ever NCL's fault. You won't see much sympathy here.

And they are so nasty! I can't believe the things people say to each other ....

The cheerleaders will make nasty comments to you ... just ignore them.

I'm sorry this happened. I live in FL and NJ, and would have no idea about Mardi Gras either if I was traveling at this time of the year. Someone should have warned you, especially since you don't live in the area. That really stinks. I'm sorry :(

I believe there is an arbitration clause in the contract. Read that first. You may have to go thru arbitration before you can file a suit. Also, it will tell you what state / county has jurisdiction. Good luck to you. I can't imagine the disappointment and frustration.

There is not a court in the land that would hear this case. They should have gone to the port early.

I don't buy for a second that they were unaware that they were leaving New Orleans right before the beginning of Mardi Gras and then sailing right back to New Orleans in the middle of it.

I get that they are upset, but believe they are more upset with themselves than anything else.

I can't believe the first thought is sue them. It's crazy, why don't people take responsibility for their own actions anymore?

OP - the million dollar question...did you have trip insurance?

This is exactly why we never plan to arrive in the port city the day the ship departs. You never know what is going to happen, bad weather, traffic, plane delay, etc. Traveling Rule #1 - Arrive a day early.

So Richie2pies, do you think this is NCL's fault?

There is not a court in the land that would hear this case. They should have gone to the port early.

I don't buy for a second that they were unaware that they were leaving New Orleans right before the beginning of Mardi Gras and then sailing right back to New Orleans in the middle of it.

I get that they are upset, but believe they are more upset with themselves than anything else.

I can't believe the first thought is sue them. It's crazy, why don't people take responsibility for their own actions anymore?

Well, Suite Cruiser, that's the wonderful thing about due process in this country. They most certainly will hear it. Whether they win or not, well, that's the luck of the draw.

If I were cruising today, I would have had no idea it was mardi gras. So, I assume if an educated person like myself could make that mistake, surely anyone could.

Take a deep breath and relax. The last thing the OP needs is for people to be nasty. They just lost their vacation. A little compassion goes a long way.

Archived