Mariner Aft Cabin---no shelter, rain, soot and sunshine and possible peeping Toms?

These are things we've heard about. We switched to 7394 on the Mariner. Now I'm wondering about our choice :eek: .

Is it true:

-people from decks 8 and 9 can look down on you

-there is no roof to shelter you from the rain etc.

-noise

Did I royally screw up? TA will think I'm crazy if I switch again (this being my first time switching).

Also, why won't they allow a rollaway bed in the aft JS?

Thanks

Kim

These are things we've heard about. We switched to 7394 on the Mariner. Now I'm wondering about our choice :eek: .

Is it true:

-noise

Did I royally screw up? TA will think I'm crazy if I switch again (this being my first time switching).

Thanks

Kim

Hi Kim,

I had booked an aft JS on the Adventure ( on the 7th deck) I also heard the things you did, but the main reason I switched was because of the metal rods that are directly in front of you that you can see from your balcony. I didn't want to have to look "through" anything to see the ocean. My good friend ( over the edge) stayed in an aft JS on deck 10 of the Voyageur and absolutely loved it. I think the best afts could possibly be on deck 10 and it wasn't available for my AOS c...ruise. I ended up switching my aft 7th deck JS for a GS on the hump.

If you are not 100% convinced you made the right choice, book another cabin....you won't want to leave it too late so there isn't a good selection of alternate cabins.

Good luck :)

7688 has the biggest balcony on the ship and 7688 is the best value for the money. It's a category E1, so that's all you pay, but you get this ENORMOUS corner aft balcony. It's like having a second room annexed to your cabin. If there are only two of you, 178 sq. ft. is plenty. I have done it three times with my two full-sized "kids."

framework, shmamework.

Carol

Is it true:

-noise

Thanks

Kim

Be careful what you complain about. I was drawn and quartered in the HAL thread for pointing out these same deficiencies on the ms Westerdam.

I do not know if this is a stern cabin you are speaking of, but I will never book another stern cabin. I spent more time cleaning soot off the furniture than I did enjoying the sunshine. The three decks above our stateroom could observe our comings and goings. They watched us eat our breakfast every day and they watched me sleep on the balcony (wonderful except when the wind was blowing the wrong way) while we were at sea every night. NEVER AGAIN.

You are paying for this trip. The TA has no right to make judgments about what you want for your money.

Kim and macbasset: While we have NOT been on the Mariner, we were on the Voyager 3/05. We had 7388, 7390 (E-1's) and 7392 (JS). Believe the layouts are identical to Mariner except for the railings. Do not believe ALL that you read. ;) While it is true that you can not see straight down to the wake, you can see out well! Yes, there is some framework visable and in your view, but it did not hinder our view or our enjoyment of these balconies! :D

As for noise, we did not experience any problems in any of the cabins. As for soot, a couple of mornings there was some soot on the balcony railing that we wipped down with a towel. That was the extent of the inconvience.

People from above can see you if you were standing at directly at the railing. Otherwise your balcony is covered by deck 8! There is plenty of "shelter" on all of these balconies.

Fully agree with Carol. 7388 (mirror image of 7688) has a wonderfull balcony! You are paying for an E-1 and getting a balcony larger than MOST suites!!!! It was wonderful! :D;)

Don't worry, just enjoy!

Bruce

We have our first aft balcony booked on the Mariner in Oct. (cabin 8690). I have had some of the same thoughts you have but here's how I look at it. I have heard wonderful things about the aft balconies. If they weren't great, I don't think so many people would be ranting and raving about them. Even if it turns out that it is not my preference, I will still enjoy the room and balcony but won't book another aft cabin in the future. Unless this is the only cruise you will ever take, I just wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure you will enjoy it. :)

I was booked in 9390 in January on the Mariner. It was my first aft balcony and while I was dissappointed that there were no lounge chairs provided (and believe me there is PLENTY of rooom for at least 2 plus 2 regular charis and a table) I was not bothered by soot, noise or anything else. If not directly under the sheltered area folks from deck 10 could look down on us as well as we could look down on deck 8 balconies..however deck 7's are "tucked" in and I could not see those aft balconies at all.Therefore I am booked to leave in 4 days in cabin 7388 and I can not convey how excited I am!!!!!!!!!

I do have balcony 9390 photos pasted here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kruzblue

Look under Mariner Jan 23,05

PLEASE take pictures of the cabin! I have the same a year from now and can't wait to see it. Do you have 2,3 or 4 booked in the room? I anxious to see how the third sleeper comes down. Thanks!

Gail

I am sorry, my cabin in Jan was 9392...not 9390....it was one in from tte corner..but still a huge balcony.

Gail, you bet I'll take pictures! There is only gonna be 2 of us. Last trip in January I was with my girlfriend and we asked and asked and asked about

the loungers. As a diamond member I even brought the issue up nightly in teh consierge loung! We were given so many different excuses (the balcony is too small, you have to have a Jr. Suite, they are too big to bring through teh cabin to place on the balcony!) by the time we realized no lounge as comig the cruise was almost over! However this time I am traveling with my husband and I have already told him, if there are no lounges we're going up to the pool and get some!!!! I don't care if it's broad daylight!

I am sorry, my cabin in Jan was 9392...not 9390....it was one in from tte corner..but still a huge balcony.

Gail, you bet I'll take pictures! There is only gonna be 2 of us. Last trip in January I was with my girlfriend and we asked and asked and asked about

the loungers. As a diamond member I even brought the issue up nightly in teh consierge loung! We were given so many different excuses (the balcony is too small, you have to have a Jr. Suite, they are too big to bring through teh cabin to place on the balcony!) by the time we realized no lounge as comig the cruise was almost over! However this time I am traveling with my husband and I have already told him, if there are no lounges we're going up to the pool and get some!!!! I don't care if it's broad daylight!

My sentiments exactly! Since I'm a bit of a chicken, I'll probably send DH out under cover of darkness. :D

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help! You put so much time, effort and money into a trip and want the very best.

Thanks so much! I feel much better about our room now :D

Kim

PS I will also post pictures, lots of them!!!

I loved our aft cabin, 7690, on Voyager, which is similar in layout to Mariner. Our balcony was completely under the one from deck 8 so nobody could see in. There was plenty of room on the balconys and we did have full lounge chairs on our balcony.

Thanks so much for the info. Now I'm really torn. I guess you love aft or can't stand it. Is there any type of roof to shelter you? How is the noise?

Hello again, Red.

I cannot speak for RCI, but I can tell you that HAL's aft cabins have virtually no shelter. We were in an "S" cabin on the port side so our balcony was shaped like an "L". On the one night it rained I simply moved to the stem of the "L", which is sheltered by the deck above.

The balcony was pretty quiet when other people were not acting like fools on their balconies. There was a physician's family on Navigation deck, two decks above our stateroom. Surprisingly, he did not control his children. When they were outside it was pure hell to use the balcony.

Our neighbor's enjoyed peaking around the partitions, too. This was very annoying. We were eating our breakfast or sitting in our bathrobes and our neighbors decided they wanted to see what we were up to, so they leaned over the balcony and around the divider! Appalling behavior, in my opinion.

As I wrote earlier in the thread, I slept on the balcony every night, which was beautiful - pitch black, billions of stars. The only noise was that of the water sliding by the ship. You should try it if you can.

I am a nature freak, so for me it was the only way to sail. I have to give HAL credit. The reclining deck chairs that came with our cabin were very comfortable to sleep on.

I will book an aft cabin again, but only if it is on a different line, more private, and less exposed to stack deposit.

I truly hope you enjoy your cruise. If you get just the right stateroom it can make all the difference.

Thanks Kruz! Now I am wondering if my TA misinformed me! We would like to put our son in an inside room with a friend, but she said we had to book it as a three person room. I will follow up for sure now! Would love to have the room to ourselves ;)

Thanks Kruz! Now I am wondering if my TA misinformed me! We would like to put our son in an inside room with a friend, but she said we had to book it as a three person room. I will follow up for sure now! Would love to have the room to ourselves ;)

I think what your TA told you is correct. When I booked 7390 it was for double occupancy. My TA told me that we could get bumped if a triple wants this cabin. All the Es appear to be gone for our sailing, so if we're going to get bumped I hope it's to a suite. It could happen.

We have had a rollaway in an aft JS cabin on several ships. Since when is this not allowed? Who told you that a rollaway is not permitted?

RCCL rep told me this plus I found this on their website:

(Junior Suites located in the aft of the ship cannot accommodate a rollaway bed.)

I'm not sure why this is. The rep told me to go ahead and request one.

If the rooms are the same as the other JS throughout the ship, I'm not quite sure why this is an issue with RCCL.

Any thoughts?

We loved our aft room, 7688, on Voyager so much that we booked the 8th level equivalent on Mariner. We learned that we like the 7th level best. The 7th level provided partial shelter overhead, so we could choose whether to lay in the sun or shade, privacy, etc., great wrap around view, and we had sliding doors instead of the heavy single door on the 8th. The 8th was sun all the time but a less blocked view. Still a great balcony too. It depends on what you want. For us, we prefer the 7th aft! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!

Archived