Carnival Victory Review: A Great Week with a Few Bad Apples

bqkali

I LOVE those "Puertorican" Cuban sandwiches! :D I still crave the ones freshly made at the local "Panaderia" (bakery) in my hometown in Puerto Rico. NOBODY could make a Cuban sandwich like they could (not even the real Cubans when I lived in Miami! :eek:)

Did you ever drink "Gasolina"? We bought some of those before a dive trip.

The only thing I wanted to mention (for a newbie who might get confused) is that chicken fajitas are not available for room service. It is a chicken fajita wrap- so basically, just another sandwich.

Thanks for the pointer! Room service is less appealing in an interior room but maybe next time I'll go for it.

Really good review! Thanks for posting it. I have one question: what is the story behind the 'few bad apples' in your thread title?

I just meant there were a few poor points to the cruise, but overall it was still a fun vacation.

Thanks for your informative review! I have not sailed on Liberty but did have St. Lucia as a port when my late DH and I sailed the Miracle in 2010. We also did Herod's tour and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Glad to hear you did too! :)

Hey Becky! It was a pleasure meeting both you and your sister on Royston's tour. I enjoyed reading your review just now. This was truly a beautiful place and the hike was amazing, however you guys were way too fast for me, lol! I'm going to blame it partially on the hike from the day before. :) Anyway, nice meeting you!

Absolutely one of the most "Organized" reviews I have ever read! Very thorough and interesting, couldn't stop reading til you were done! Like the other poster said, I feel I've already been on this cruise! (we cruise on March 11) The only thing different will be none of our excursions are the same as yours. Thanks for taking the time to write your review!

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments. I love reading ahead of time for my vacations, so I hope this is/was helpful for a few people.

who was your CD? did you like him (or her)?

sorry if i missed this somewhere!

I only saw our cruise director once (the newlywed show) and mostly just heard him on the announcements, so forgive me if this is wrong, but I think it was Matt, from St. Kitts. I've never put any emphasis on the CD; I'm sure he does a lot of work behind the scenes, but after four cruises, I'm not sure how the CD impacts my personal experience.

Hey Becky! It was a pleasure meeting both you and your sister on Royston's tour. I enjoyed reading your review just now. This was truly a beautiful place and the hike was amazing, however you guys were way too fast for me, lol! I'm going to blame it partially on the hike from the day before. :) Anyway, nice meeting you!

Hi Kathy! Yeah, we took it easy in St. Lucia, so we had a bit of an advantage. What a great hike and nice meeting you too :)

thanks for responding back! i loved reading your review! good job!!

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments. I love reading ahead of time for my vacations, so I hope this is/was helpful for a few people.

I only saw our cruise director once (the newlywed show) and mostly just heard him on the announcements, so forgive me if this is wrong, but I think it was Matt, from St. Kitts. I've never put any emphasis on the CD; I'm sure he does a lot of work behind the scenes, but after four cruises, I'm not sure how the CD impacts my personal experience.

Hi Kathy! Yeah, we took it easy in St. Lucia, so we had a bit of an advantage. What a great hike and nice meeting you too :)

Do you have prices for the excurisons and drinks? Thanks!

• St. John was about $55, including ferries, taxis, and beach entrance fees (done independently, will be more through sponsored excursion)
  • Shasa in Barbados was $60 for 3-hour tour, don't remember the 5-hour price ($100?) - in retrospect, it would have been fine to do this by bus/taxi and swim from shore to save a TON of money
  • Herod's in St. Lucia was $80, including lunch
  • Royston in St. Kitt's was $80 but got changed to $60 when our group size grew :)
  • Lucky Stables in St. Maarten was $65 + about $15 in cab fare, I think it was $95 for the 2-hour ride (but again, I wouldn't recommend this operator)

Drinks onboard + add 15% gratuity

• $2 for a can of soda
  • $7.25 for frozen fru-fu drinks (pina colada, kiss on the lips, etc.)
  • $8.95 for mojitos
  • $8.95 for manhattan
  • $8.95 for martinis ($9.95 when I specified Ketel One)
  • $10.25 ($10.75?) for Louis Martini Cabernet Sauvignon (other wines $6-10)
  • $5.50 for Carnival Red Frog Ale (other beers more like $4-5)

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed your review, very detailed and organized! Like some of the other posters said, so much easier to read than some of the shorter reviews with pictures.

I loved that you stayed in an inside room too! It seems like so many reviewers are in balconies, so I always feel like I'm missing something (needing to keep up with the Jones). But I would much rather save my money for excursions! thanks for reaffirming that an inside cabin is not all bad. :)

I loved that you stayed in an inside room too! It seems like so many reviewers are in balconies, so I always feel like I'm missing something (needing to keep up with the Jones). But I would much rather save my money for excursions! thanks for reaffirming that an inside cabin is not all bad. :)

I've been on four cruises - all in inside rooms - and it works out okay for me. I'm an active person (sounds like you are too) so sitting in a room when I could be exploring isn't a good fit for me, but everybody has their own perfect balance ;)

Thank you for this level-headed and organized review!!! I am a bit compulsive about planing and organizing, so this was nice :rolleyes: We are sailing on Victory in January (I don't know how I'll wait that long) and now I am even more excited to go. It was also great to read your reviews of some hiking at the ports. We love to backpack at home (Colorado) and I was really wanting to try some hiking on this cruise too. Do you happen to have any pictures of the volcano or any other recommendations on where to hike? The volcano hike sounds AMAZING! Being 26, it was great to get a point of view from someone else my age who is also not a big partier (at least it didn't sound like you were). We love the comedy clubs, but are usually in bed by midnight. Thanks again for writing the review!

I LOVE those "Puertorican" Cuban sandwiches! :D I still crave the ones freshly made at the local "Panaderia" (bakery) in my hometown in Puerto Rico. NOBODY could make a Cuban sandwich like they could (not even the real Cubans when I lived in Miami! :eek:)

I'm from Hialeah but live in Texas now, sure do miss the Cuban sandwiches. Sooooo looking forward to food in PR in June.

Great review!!!!

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=cojuqui&date=6-10-2012&text=Countin

PAST CRUISES:

Celebrity Solstice 6/26/09 Eastern Mediterranean

Carnival Conquest 08/10/10 Eastern Caribbean

Archived